VIP 622 HD DVR making sound even when it's powered off, normal?

kev888

Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
noticed this morning the dvr was making noise sounded like the hard drive was still running inside. called up dish network they said it's normal even when powered off the unit and no led lit on the front panel the hard drive still running in the background sometime. it'll only stop when i unplugged it from the wall outlet. is this true?

This is correct. The 622 is never really off unless unplugged. When the power is OFF, it is not caching tuners or displaying content, just the screensaver.

Isn't that called "Standby Mode"... and don't all Dish Network rcvrs do the same thing... try this.... turn your rcvr off when you go to bed and the next morning before you turn on your rcvr touch it and I'll bet it will be warn.... Dish Network rcvrs are constantly active, unless someone unplugs them... they are always updating themselves, updating the program guide, etc....

thanks for the replies, but i just wonder where does the dvr get the info to process when powered off, i would think coming from the phone line but when i disconnected the phone line, it was still running.

When the 622 is off it is just running the logo on the screen. Do not unplug your 622 from the phone or the wall, it will give you a nice charge for the extra tuner. I had a surge protector trip on one of mine and it missed its call into Dish and I had the extra tuner charge appear. The unit was still attached to the phone line but of course with no electricity it missed calling on it.

thanks for the replies, but i just wonder where does the dvr get the info to process when powered off, i would think coming from the phone line but when i disconnected the phone line, it was still running.

What info? The phone line is mainly to report PPV purchases. The 622 also runs a check and if it is not connected to a phone line it will tell you and Dish will charge a fee.

Like 8bitbytes said .. the recieveer never turns off .. except when physically unplugged or not recieving power thru the cable. Otherwise its either showing you feeds from the bird (or recorded stuff if you have DVR) or showing you the dish logo (standby). It updates itself at night (at a preset time in the setup of the reciever and changable) or when u force update it.

Like 8bitbytes said .. the recieveer never turns off .. except when physically unplugged or not recieving power thru the cable. Otherwise its either showing you feeds from the bird (or recorded stuff if you have DVR) or showing you the dish logo (standby). It updates itself at night (at a preset time in the setup of the reciever and changable) or when u force update it.

so when shut off using the remote it still running inside? i thought the power button on the remote cuts off the power to the DVR.

Remote, or front panel, it doesn't matter. The power button, in either case, just puts the unit in standby mode. I'm not sure what exactly gets shutdown or reduced, but it does at least the following:
  • Switch the output display, from the channel you were watching, to the "bouncing" Dish Network logo
  • Stop buffering the channel to the hard drive. But this is ONLY when both tuners are shut off. You'll notice that if you turn one off, but the other is still on, and remains on, then when you turn the first one back on, you can rewind up to an hour (depending on the usual factors--last channel change, time since both tuners were off, etc.).
It probably still monitors the last tuned transponder for authorization/deauthorization messages. I don't imagine it would put anything into a low power mode as is the case of standby in typical devices.

Don't forget the infamous Movie On Demand feature, right now I have 17 movies setting on my harddrive available for viewing at $4.99 a pop. I'm sure that part of the time the receiver is busy downloading or writing over previously downloaded movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts