Vip-622 Optical out

ghostyroastytoasty

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Beckley, WV
On channels that are not HD, I cannot get a sound out to my receiver... I coulda swore I had sound coming out of them the other day. Today though, I tried SD stations, and no sound was coming out.. Any suggestions???

I have the same problem with my 211 (and 4900 before that) and it has to do with switching between channels that are AC3 (Dolby Digital) and PCM (all other SD channels). It seems these receivers don't send a command to tell your surround sound receiver to switch and decode PCM from the E* receiver and thus you get silence. I usually just switch inputs on the surround receiver and then go back to satellite input for the receiver to find the PCM stream.

There doesn't seem to be a problem going from PCM to AC3 channels though.

My sound works fine when I use Component and Optical, when I use HDMI I can only get AC3 sound, is this what you are getting? I'm going through an Onkyo AVR.

Make sure your A/V receiver is set to auto-decode that input. If it's expecting DD 3/2 and getting PCM 48, it will give you nothing.

I'll have to take a look at how I have mine set up. I have optical audio going from 622 to a Sony AV receiver and HDMI going from 622 to TV. I let my TV handle video and my AV receiver does all of the audio. My TV speakers are turned off. I remember my audio on the 622 being set to DD+PCM. My sound seems fine with no issues when switching chanels or even sources (like switching from satellite to DVD player and back again). If I'm on an HD channel, the digital audio indicator on my Sony is lit.

I need to change what I said earlier. My sound works fine from my Onkyo, the only thing I can't get to work is sound from Dolby to tv speakers.

I need to change what I said earlier. My sound works fine from my Onkyo, the only thing I can't get to work is sound from Dolby to tv speakers.
Maybe a setting you need to change in your TV? But if you have a stereo set up, who cares about the TV speakers anyway?

Maybe a setting you need to change in your TV? But if you have a stereo set up, who cares about the TV speakers anyway?

Your right there Kab, but it is just one of those things that bugs me. My tv audio settings say that to get sound I have to go out from tv to avr before I can change setting in tv,weird.....

Given that there was a recent s/w update and now you're having HDMI issues, one shouldn't be surprised. HDMI is a fickle thing....

Funny thing.. Went down to check on it, and when I walked in, my girlfriend had it on a SD station with the audio blaring from the speakers... Must have been a single incident.. I wonder what caused it, because now it works fine.

A few of us have experienced complete audio loss (since L4.42) and only a reboot fixes it. It does seem to only affect ONE of the tuners though so if you "SWAP" tuners, you should have sound. That, of course, isn't a long-term solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)