VIP DVR Price Increase

Let me remind you of the short history of hopper fees from 2012 till today. First came out at $7.00 fee. Then it went up to $10.00 then $12.00 and now in 2016 $15.00 for the dvr fee. So hiking your price on the VIP receivers , in order to push to the higher Hopper and dvr fee, is right in line with their agenda.
And it also cost $23 in fees for 2 Vip 722s.
$15 in fees isn't s&>t for 16 tuner whole home HD DVR system.

You keep on saying fees, but a 4 room Hopper 3 system.
$36 in fees.

10 years ago
For anything remotely close to this Hopper3 system
You would need 4 VIP 612 which would have cost you .....guess what???
$36 dollars in fees.

Stop with the broken Record on the fees, The programming costs have far exceeded any equipment fees that you speak of.

You want to talk fees, pay an RSN fee, pay a First receiver fee, better yet, pay an actual full price bill.

I just paid Dish $180 last month thats with a $30 discount, you hear me bitching about the fees?

Nope, because others are much much worse.

Reactions: JM42 and lazydogmot
But they are such rock-solid machines that they will be alive for years to come. :)

I'd love to see a chart showing increased internal HDD failures over time for the ViP units. I'm sure they ran out of replacement drives already.

As the supply of replacements dwindles, the day of no more updates, and then deactivation, approaches. Still, no doubt many years off.

Reactions: Troch77
I'd love to see a chart showing increased internal HDD failures over time for the ViP units. I'm sure they ran out of replacement drives already.

As the supply of replacements dwindles, the day of no more updates, and then deactivation, approaches. Still, no doubt many years off.
Yep, drives fail, and failure rates would rise over time.

That's what I'm counting on, many years off. I'll probably cut the cord or switch delivery methods long before my receiver is no longer supported.

Rock solid is not a word I would use to describe any VIP DVR.

I've had numerous VIPs 612,622,722k.
And back when there were actually a current technology, they were buggy, and I had lots of Hardrive issues.

The software made these machines decent, with a 6 month -1.5 year life span on average on the hardware side.
And when they worked, they worked good.
But they also die at the drop of a hat.

Directv HR20-700 out lasted any Echostar equipment I've ever owned during the 2006-2011 era.
BUT software wise, that thing was a POS.

Vip 211s are rock solid.

Reactions: dare2be
What about existing customers who stop their account for a month and reactivate after?
Need more clarification on this. If you mean Dish Pause (whiich costs $5/month and keeps your account active and in good standing), you should still receive your grandfathered rates. If you cancel altogether and reactivate an account later, that would be considered a new account and would be subject to the current rates.

I don't need a history lesson on the "promotional" $7 fee to get people to adopt the Hopper. :) I said back then it was artificially low, lower than even the 922 DVR fee that had a similar interface.

Well I said the same thing about it being too low compared to he crappy 922. I also said that a second hopper for $7.00 a month ,same as a Joey ,was some kind of trick to lure us in in order to hike the price on us. But I didn't foresee an increase three more times.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Need more clarification on this. If you mean Dish Pause (whiich costs $5/month and keeps your account active and in good standing), you should still receive your grandfathered rates. If you cancel altogether and reactivate an account later, that would be considered a new account and would be subject to the current rates.
I ment customers with pay as you go account, if you don't use your service for a month and decide to reactivate it, if you will lose the grandfather price?

And back when there were actually a current technology, they were buggy, and I had lots of Hardrive issues.

The software made these machines decent, with a 6 month -1.5 year life span on average on the hardware side.

Directv HR20-700 out lasted any Echostar equipment I've ever owned during the 2006-2011 era.

Vip 211s are rock solid.
Don't you think it has a lot to do with the amount of heat from these Echostar DVR?

Troch77, The more i read your posts i am starting to really like YOU. I was Dish and DTV and I believe all DTV receivers outlasted the DISH ones but i didnt tell my customers that.

Don't you think it has a lot to do with the amount of heat from these Echostar DVR?

Why certainly the heat killed DISH DVR but WHO'S job would that be to fix that issue? I got sooo tired doing all the RA on those units.

Reactions: Troch77
perhaps dish grandfathered price is to avoid losing lots of customers upset by another fee increase.

my lifetime tivo fee is zero:) I didnt mind buying my tivo and paying a bit more for it
So are you OTA only or do you pay the cable co a monthly fee for the Cable Cards you need, along with the Tuning Adapter fees.

Unless one is OTA ONLY (TiVo All-in at HUNDREDS of dollars up front X each TiVo DVR or using the fee free Channel Master DVR+), we will be paying FEES. And if you want cable co. VOD, you need a cable co. DVR with its fees. At least Amazon and Netflix and Hulu are fee free (;) along with SlingTV and DircTVNOW and Sony vue, or do they just build the "support" fees in the price? Of course look for those services to keep going higher and higher in price as more and more of us move over there for our content.

Reactions: dare2be
If Dish could wave a magic wand, they would have all of us on the Hopper platform and be done with the costs of supporting early gen STB's, and the diminishing returns of supporting "old" ViP STB's. But they can't wave the magic wand, so they try to herd us over to Hopper with carrots or STICKS. I get the point of costs to continue development and support. It would be so much LESS costly if Echostar would only need to deal with ONE platform: the Hoppers.

So are you OTA only or do you pay the cable co a monthly fee for the Cable Cards you need, along with the Tuning Adapter fees.

Unless one is OTA ONLY (TiVo All-in at HUNDREDS of dollars up front X each TiVo DVR or using the fee free Channel Master DVR+), we will be paying FEES. And if you want cable co. VOD, you need a cable co. DVR with its fees. At least Amazon and Netflix and Hulu are fee free (;) along with SlingTV and DircTVNOW and Sony vue, or do they just build the "support" fees in the price? Of course look for those services to keep going higher and higher in price as more and more of us move over there for our content.

Get the facts straight. Comcast and Cox do have VOD on retail Tivo Roamios and Bolts. Tuning adapters don't have fees, just the cable cards.

Vip 211s are rock solid.
Torch77, I agree. The only "rock solid" STB's were the old non-DVR boxes before Dish made DVR's, although my 508 rarely gave me problems. Nothing since from Dish (to be fair, from TiVo or cable cos. either) has ever been "rock solid" especially with how utterly complicated the STB's have to be to handle anything beyond the DVR function such as all those apps and VOD and acting as server to client. While I am ready to plunge into the H3, I also miss the early days of SIMPLICITY that really did allow prodicts to be "rock solid" To be fair, give Dish and others 3 yeas or so to work out all the bugs on released STB's and they do become closer to "rock solid" :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)