VIP DVR Price Increase

The Hopper seems to be Okay, the Joeys can be finicky at times.
Sometimes they have VOD, issues, that requires you to exit, and go back in again.
Netflix also is bugger than the Hopper2s with Joeys.

I've noticed the H3 causes more motion blur than the H2s.
That even shows up through the Joeys as well.

So I can see exactly why people where complaining about PQ issues.

Hopefully the next software Update fixes this.
IMO I think the Hopper is trying to up convert to 4K.
There already has been messages on the screen every now and then saying "Unsupported Format"
Makes me think, the Hopper is trying to push the 4K format through.
If I put it on 720p the PQ is better and the message seems to never appear.

So maybe the PQ is better if its connected to a 4K tv?

Am I the only one not having any major problems on any Hopper I have had(other than one I junked on accident)? The issues I have experienced have been minor at the very most.

Knock on wood, I have never had any serious trouble with any HWS unit (I had 4 before the H3) nor the H3 that I have. I have one of the first H3 units that came out, got it before it could even be activated. I never used a Hopper 2000 as I was not with Dish at the time they were out.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

You may be grandfathered, but nothing with Dish is forever. They change prices at will. I have had several packages with grandfathered prices, and then they just discontinued the packages.

Reactions: pattykay
I posted in the $5 increase thread that the new package prices are showing on the Dish website under "My Programming" and when you click on "Change Programming"

FWIW, I still show a grandfathered DVR fee of $7.

I posted in the $5 increase thread that the new package prices are showing on the Dish website under "My Programming" and when you click on "Change Programming"

FWIW, I still show a grandfathered DVR fee of $7.

As do I, all the other new changes show so fingers crossed.

I have 1 TV. I'm still on a VIP722.

Back in the day, I remember looking into the Hopper and there were 1-2 things that were deal-breakers for me. It was so long ago I can't remember anymore what they were. But I've really had no desire to upgrade. However as the prices go up and up, and the quality of the channel line-up goes down and down, I'm definitely looking at alternatives. In all honesty a big thing keeping me on Dish was all the content on the external HDD that I couldn't get on disc. But last I knew, my drive wasn't showing up anymore so maybe it's time to give Dish the boot once and for all. I never was comfortable having valuable media on a single drive prone to failure. These days I keep my stuff on a Plex server with a RAIDZ2 drive array.

I can get my locals digitally over DSL from my ISP for like $12/mo. I might be fine with that.

Any reports yet from ViP owners with the $7 grandfathered DVR fee that have had their bill generated since the 17th? Mine still shows as $7 on the website.

I guess I'll have to wait until my next bill is generated on 2/6 to see what happens. Any other ViP users getting new bills earlier than that?

Any reports yet from ViP owners with the $7 grandfathered DVR fee that have had their bill generated since the 17th? Mine still shows as $7 on the website.

My bill gets process the 28th of every month. I just downloaded it. I have a 722K, the Welcome Pack and pay the $7 DVR fee and it stayed at $7/month.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: dare2be and Tampa8
My DVR fee stayed at $7. I'm considering going with a VIP 211 and an external hard drive to save a little money though. Can one of you all tell me how well this set up works?

My DVR fee stayed at $7. I'm considering going with a VIP 211 and an external hard drive to save a little money though. Can one of you all tell me how well this set up works?

Have a VIP211z, with a 500 megabyte external hard drive attached, works fine. Only one tuner, though.

In reality the 211k is a dual tuner receiver if you have an OTA setup. It is nice here as we have a lot of diginet material, so I can record something on Dish as well as OTA at the same time and still watch a 3rd channel.

In reality the 211k is a dual tuner receiver if you have an OTA setup. It is nice here as we have a lot of diginet material, so I can record something on Dish as well as OTA at the same time and still watch a 3rd channel.

No OTA in my area. I'm 100 miles from the nearest city so I'm stuck with Dish for getting my locals. I do want HD though, so I guess the 211 is what I need if I don't want to pay the monthly DVR fee.

No OTA in my area. I'm 100 miles from the nearest city so I'm stuck with Dish for getting my locals. I do want HD though, so I guess the 211 is what I need if I don't want to pay the monthly DVR fee.

If money is tight I get it for sure. Otherwise are there no or very few times there are shows on two locals at the same time you want to watch? Many but not all satellite cable Networks have reruns a few hours later and or through the week, those can be recorded later, but even then at the expense of not watching something else at that time. But local Network shows don't repeat like that. Since you would have no first receiver fee either way, are you sure $7 isn't worth having two tuners?

Reactions: TheKrell
If money is tight I get it for sure. Otherwise are there no or very few times there are shows on two locals at the same time you want to watch? Many but not all satellite cable Networks have reruns a few hours later and or through the week, those can be recorded later, but even then at the expense of not watching something else at that time. But local Network shows don't repeat like that. Since you would have no first receiver fee either way, are you sure $7 isn't worth having two tuners?

Money isn't tight. I'm just trying to save whatever I can on my monthly bills. I figured if I could get by without the $7 DVR charge and just record stuff to an external hard drive it would be worth the one time $40 fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts