VIP DVR Price Increase

So explain that to me, please.
I have 2-622 one free and the other $17. I have 1-612 that is costing me $10 and then i have a $7 DVR service cost?
That was an inside joke intended for TheKrell, who owns a 612 and insists (like me with my 722) that he won't upgrade to the Hopper.

In your case, with all the extra receivers, you'd do better financially with a Hopper3 and 2 Joeys. You'd save $5 in fees. Even more if our $7 grandfathered DVR fee goes up.

To be fair, give Dish and others 3 yeas or so to work out all the bugs on released STB's and they do become closer to "rock solid" :).
That was my point. None of the Dish DVRs were rock solid from inception, but the ViP line is long enough in the tooth now that they are solid now, and what I will stick with.

Reactions: sam_gordon
That was an inside joke intended for TheKrell, who owns a 612 and insists (like me with my 722) that he won't upgrade to the Hopper.

In your case, with all the extra receivers, you'd do better financially with a Hopper3 and 2 Joeys. You'd save $5 in fees. Even more if our $7 grandfathered DVR fee goes up.

Actually that is one reason DISH let me go. Was not selling a lot but still doing a lot of DIU (upgrades) and would not PUSH the hopper. You know us old guys we dont like change and i didnt want all them Service call when the hopper went down and they had NO TV.

i didnt want all them Service call when the hopper went down
Like that ever happens. :rolleyes

Truthfully, all the reported Hopper woes + the extra fees are equal reasons that have kept me away from upgrading.

Don't you think it has a lot to do with the amount of heat from these Echostar DVR?
I would say most likely. And the larger the HDD the more heat generated. I think the last robust fan Echo used an DVR's was back on the 50X and 510. They were like TiVo fans--not including the base Romio which has horrible air flow and DYIers replace that stock fan) good are keeping things cool BUT . . . Dish got a lot of complaints about the fans making noise in people's bedrooms (this was before the not fan clients now deployed) and so Echo tweaked the fans to NOT operate until reaching higher temps. This was also done for the 721. This created for a quiet experience, but allowed heat to do its damage. The fans in Dish boxes today is pathetic and when they do run, they are LOUD, even at the lower speed, and even after the known probalem of boxes no allowing enough space underneath to allow heat escape and airflow, Echo/Dish continued to make STB's with NO ROOM at the bottom to solve the heat problem. I have to put a laptop fan on one HopperWS in an enclosure, otherwise, the fan BLOW highrate LOUD and the STB starts behaving all funky. Could all these DVR makers please design well for the matter of HEAT generated by the STB, PLEASE.

Get the facts straight. Comcast and Cox do have VOD on retail Tivo Roamios and Bolts. Tuning adapters don't have fees, just the cable cards.
So all other cable cos. do offer VOD on Retail? And Comcast VOD supported on TiVo's that are not Xfinity? Thanks for the clarification, unless you are referring to the very few instances like the OLD comcast or RCN or RNC or whatever insignificant cable co there is. That's right, ther are no Tuning Adapter problems for any TiVo users. They are "rock solid" as another poster likes that term. OK, now share with us the problems you do experinece with TiVo's TODAY, post Rovi metadata and broken MRV, unless you foolinshly upgraded your S3's for all S4's and above. That must have cost you another FORTUNE in saved fees compared to costs of cable and sat. I'm glad there are enough rich people, like me, to continually upgrade their TiVo's every new generation. TiVo really is the Apple of DVR's: they keep having people put up THOUSANDS of $$ in costs to upgrade and even addtional hundreds to buy the support devices like the Minis, and Streams and MoCA adapters and trow some cash to the cable cos. for use of Cable Cards. This is easily the superior model, especially when TiVo DVR's today, can NOT reliabley record what we set them to record nor can we watch the WRONG show recorded in the other room using our S3 TiVo's that were bought and paid for many years ago---no need to upgrade for mega-bucks just to view in the other room--oh wait, Rovi BROKE that, didn't they? But wait, all is well in TiVoland according to Rovi and many apologists at TCF and a few here. Next time, you don't need to get snippy, just point out stuff you wish to make a correction. Now get back to your rock solid TiVo post Rovi experience watching show not reocorded, Skip commerical not functioning and watching non-existant or out of DMA channels in your line-up of Channels You Receive as they BREAK your OnePasses. The rest of us here have quibbles compared to your TiVo experience.

More likely they don't care about deploying new VIP installs and prefer not to encourage them.
How does a new customer signing up end up with a VIP receiver anyway ?

I see now.... If you do a "build", pick (2) TVs, DVR, and indicate you have the lowest credit rating, they will give you a 722K. If you bump up (1) level in credit rating, you get a Hopper (and based on the # of TVs you specify, Joeys).

my tivos have historically been rock soild.

my dish dvrs varied from trash to at best decent, and had fees fees and more fees.

my theory has always been dish compartimises the software to make hacking by insiders more difficult..

sadly that made the boxes software unfinished.......

No new customer wants a VIP. Just future service calls in the making.

My 508 was fantastic. LOVED IT!

I even MORE LOVED my 721. When it worked. But due to power supply and HDD failures, 7 of them passed thru my home. And the USB keyboard never made the light of day.

If Dish could wave a magic wand, they would have all of us on the Hopper platform and be done with the costs of supporting early gen STB's, and the diminishing returns of supporting "old" ViP STB's. But they can't wave the magic wand, so they try to herd us over to Hopper with carrots or STICKS. I get the point of costs to continue development and support. It would be so much LESS costly if Echostar would only need to deal with ONE platform: the Hoppers.

They have that magic wand.

It's made of solid gold, wrapped in a LOT of cash. And when they wave it, cash flies off.

So I think it will be years before it's waved at the ViP series. MOST ViP users will have voluntarily moved on to the Hopper series. Maybe the H5, if it goes that far.

But make no mistake about it. The ViP series is near dead. They will not upgrade it much more. Most all bugs are squashed. Hardware limitations restrict any new features. New encryption and UHD are coming. And channels will migrate.

One day, the repurposed Audit Police will bash in doors and confiscate ViP receivers, replacing them with Hoppers.

:D

Reactions: Troch77
Yes, heat was and still is the ViP only drawback. I use a small usb fan drawing air out the side of my 722 and it's coming up on 5.5 years with the same unit.

I learned this trick from no other place than here, SatGuys. :)

It is not in their interest to keep receivers working indefinitely.

So explain that to me, please.
I have 2-622 one free and the other $17. I have 1-612 that is costing me $10 and then i have a $7 DVR service cost?

Well, lets see. Increase fees for older stuff. Institute a fee for maintaining code base for receivers over five years old. Introduce "features" that slow the operation of all other features. Shift more and more channels to coding that older receivers can't decode. Introduce annoying bugs in the old stuff.

I can go on.

Expecting more than 5, at most 7 years of useful life out of these STBs is unreasonable.

So all other cable cos. do offer VOD on Retail? And Comcast VOD supported on TiVo's that are not Xfinity? Thanks for the clarification, unless you are referring to the very few instances like the OLD comcast or RCN or RNC or whatever insignificant cable co there is. That's right, ther are no Tuning Adapter problems for any TiVo users. They are "rock solid" as another poster likes that term. OK, now share with us the problems you do experinece with TiVo's TODAY, post Rovi metadata and broken MRV, unless you foolinshly upgraded your S3's for all S4's and above. That must have cost you another FORTUNE in saved fees compared to costs of cable and sat. I'm glad there are enough rich people, like me, to continually upgrade their TiVo's every new generation. TiVo really is the Apple of DVR's: they keep having people put up THOUSANDS of $$ in costs to upgrade and even addtional hundreds to buy the support devices like the Minis, and Streams and MoCA adapters and trow some cash to the cable cos. for use of Cable Cards. This is easily the superior model, especially when TiVo DVR's today, can NOT reliabley record what we set them to record nor can we watch the WRONG show recorded in the other room using our S3 TiVo's that were bought and paid for many years ago---no need to upgrade for mega-bucks just to view in the other room--oh wait, Rovi BROKE that, didn't they? But wait, all is well in TiVoland according to Rovi and many apologists at TCF and a few here. Next time, you don't need to get snippy, just point out stuff you wish to make a correction. Now get back to your rock solid TiVo post Rovi experience watching show not reocorded, Skip commerical not functioning and watching non-existant or out of DMA channels in your line-up of Channels You Receive as they BREAK your OnePasses. The rest of us here have quibbles compared to your TiVo experience.

Now you just want to troll. No one got snippy. I can go there if you want, but easier to just add you to ignore with the other 2 trolls. You said there was no VOD on retail Tivo's. You were wrong not every cable company does, but Comcast and Cox do offer full VOD on retail Tivo. How is the VOD working out for you on the old Dish dvr's. As I said in your other rant tonight, I have no problems with tuning adapters on 3 Tivos with cable cards on Cox Oklahoma or Cox Las Vegas. They work perfect and I have yet to miss a recording since the Rovi data change. Yes the metadata SUCKS, but it still works. I now have to babysit it as much as I had to babysit the dvr with Dish. 65 Onepasses and they still work. Unlike you and your 186 channels, it took me less than 10 mins to delete out 2000 channels from the Cox guide. The OTA was even easier. Take out the OKC and Fayetteville channels leave the Tulsa. Not a big deal. Get over it. Skipmode works wonderfully, gonna use it on my perfect recording of Marvels Agents of Shield, in a few minutes.

You're complaining about s3 and s4 Tivo. They're as old as or older than a 722. Last year after 17 years with Dish I grew tired of the lack of full OTA data, having a bunch of repeats always wanting to record all day marathons, (which thanks to Rovi, I now have again with Tivo). I was going OTA only but with the rising cost of internet, getting TV added for $20 more than internet alone was going to cost was a no brainer. $1.99 for a cable card is nothing compared to the $80 a month in savings. Those savings also helped with the less than $1600 payback on 3 Roamio Basics with lifetime, 1 Roamio OTA with lifetime and 4 Mini's that I bought the year before.

Now excuse me while I go back to my ROCK SOLID TIVO and watch the perfect recordings.

Don't you think it has a lot to do with the amount of heat from these Echostar DVR?
And??
I didn't design them.
I just paid money every month to lease them.

So with that in mind as a company I would think it would be in Dish's best interest to make sure the electronic equipment has the proper cooling in a room temperature environment.

And they did address the issues.
My Hopper2s or 3 were and are never as hot as them VIPs.

Well, lets see. Increase fees for older stuff. Institute a fee for maintaining code base for receivers over five years old. Introduce "features" that slow the operation of all other features.

You're describing the original H2K! :D

Gee, I thought you were the fellow with 2 612's and no 722! I'm the fellow with 2 612's and a 722 (also). Cold dead fingers!

I would say most likely. And the larger the HDD the more heat generated. I think the last robust fan Echo used an DVR's was back on the 50X and 510. They were like TiVo fans--not including the base Romio which has horrible air flow and DYIers replace that stock fan) good are keeping things cool BUT . . . Dish got a lot of complaints about the fans making noise in people's bedrooms (this was before the not fan clients now deployed) and so Echo tweaked the fans to NOT operate until reaching higher temps. This was also done for the 721. This created for a quiet experience, but allowed heat to do its damage. The fans in Dish boxes today is pathetic and when they do run, they are LOUD, even at the lower speed, and even after the known probalem of boxes no allowing enough space underneath to allow heat escape and airflow, Echo/Dish continued to make STB's with NO ROOM at the bottom to solve the heat problem. I have to put a laptop fan on one HopperWS in an enclosure, otherwise, the fan BLOW highrate LOUD and the STB starts behaving all funky. Could all these DVR makers please design well for the matter of HEAT generated by the STB, PLEASE.

Here is my HWS fan mod
tmp_2318-IMG_20170107_0844511731034913.jpg

Reactions: TheKrell