VIP receiver installation

Thanks. At least there is an option. The vip211k is such a self contained receiver with so many features, I am surprised that Dish did not continue with a newer receiver with the same functions. I have considered buying a spare vip211k as a backup in case mine crashes and I am unable to purchase one at that time. I remember back when the vip211k receiver came out and I got it as it had the HD and I had the option to add the HDD for $40 and no extra monthly fees. Later when our TV translators went to digital, I was able to use the OTA tuner.
The VIP OTA tuners are much better because you can add a new channel with out doing a full scan and a full scan does not remove saved channels from last scan

Thanks. At least there is an option. The vip211k is such a self contained receiver with so many features, I am surprised that Dish did not continue with a newer receiver with the same functions. I have considered buying a spare vip211k as a backup in case mine crashes and I am unable to purchase one at that time. I remember back when the vip211k receiver came out and I got it as it had the HD and I had the option to add the HDD for $40 and no extra monthly fees. Later when our TV translators went to digital, I was able to use the OTA tuner.
I'm shopping ebay for bargins to upgrade my system. I've bought a Wally for less than $50, got a modulator for $10 and bidding on 3 used dual tuners under $40. Buy a little at a time and stretch out the cost and stretches out the retirement income..

Reactions: pattykay
Wally also has Carbon User Interface (CUI) if you like 211K may drive you up a wall. Wally does not have a ch 3/4 output so you need a modulator. Hard drive for Wally is a minimum 500gb. Only has composite and HDMI outputs. It does come with 50.0 UHF remote and is less than 1/2 the size of a 211K, if Wifi is needed it plugs into usb or it can be hard wired.
I agree with everything else you said, but my Wally came with a 52.0 remote. :(

"The VIP OTA tuners are much better because you can add a new channel with out doing a full scan and a full scan does not remove saved channels from last scan[/QUOTE].
Thanks again. Maybe Dish will come out with a new receiver that will work like the Vip 211k and yet have internet options. I think in the meantime I will stay with the 211k.

If that is the case, what if the person already has a vip211k in service and has a backup. I wonder if Dish would activate the backup 211k after 2018?
Please read again. If what he is saying is true, VIP activations for NEW customers will cease in 2018. NEW customers.

Reactions: HipKat
If that is the case, what if the person already has a vip211k in service and has a backup. I wonder if Dish would activate the backup 211k after 2018?
In the past DISH has offered free upgrades on discontinued receivers that fail. Seeing 211 is the bottom of the receiver list that hopefully would be a reconditioned Wally. Options might be at your cost.

Reactions: EchostarFan
I suspect this time around, the ViPs may vanish quicker than the MPEG-2 units did. Maybe as quick as 3-5 years. Cost cutting on code base.

Reactions: EchostarFan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts