VIP Receiver Retirement

You mean besides the two companies that service people in the sticks where all they can have is satellite internet? Ranchers and farmers too?

Reactions: bobvick
Although I agree more hoppers get connected to the internet, the percentage Is far worse for a stand alone HD receiver such as a 211 or a Wally, or even a stand alone HD receiver.

What Dish and Directv need to be doing is only offering Hoppers and Genies to all new customers and just simply turning off the DVR function if the customer doesn't want DVR OR wants to pay extra to use it.

Stand alone HD products should only be allowed for Commercial customers or 1 off situations like a camper.

The insulted part was referring to the way he coming on here slamming the service, it was pretty out of line, when there are people who come here for information. Bring up problems, sure, but the way it was posted was definitely insulting. It had zero to do with technology.

Well DUH...of COURSE I was "slamming the service"! When E* charges my CC $125+ each month, they are charging me for - get ready - satellite TV SERVICE
It just like when you pay for your cell phone each month, you are paying for...cell phone SERVICE When I pay Comcast for internet access, I'm paying them for - internet SERVICE
Obviously any of these services requires "technology" (equipment) for you to obtain said "service"; when the equipment is defective &/or has problems, it compromises the "SERVICE" I'm paying for.
The point which should be obvious to most folks, us folks that are "constantly whining" about how our "service" has now been degraded, feel we are NO longer getting the "service" we were once paying for. So sorry that some of us refuse to kowtow to a bunch of flimsy excuses to this & just accept it as being the "new norm".

Second, and you're right, I don't know exactly how it works but I DO know the Search problems and the EPG problems seemed to start about the same time and how do they not go together? Isn't the Search part of the EPG?

Again for the 2nd time:
But yet my Tivo Roamio's...that BTW use the SAME, guide provider...have NO problems finding these same shows reliably

Third, some of the problems I see on here are from people who are either a, what I believe is taxing the system by wanting to record PTAT PLUS OTA locals and use every tuner at the same time to do multiple things

I don't do OTA thru the Ho's & I've turned off PTAT, as I had already shifted all my local network programs to my Tivo's...so it sure isn't the cause of my issues.
(And IMHO, since E* NO longer is updating it's OTA EPG sub-channel listings, doing OTA thru (any of) their receivers is a waste of time anyway)

Fourth, I suspect that the number of people who use EHD's and OTA's are a very small fraction of the people who have Hoppers. Not that they should be ignored but I doubt Dish is making it a priority
I doubt it also...see we actually agree on some things :D

Online and irl, I'm sick to death of people constantly whining about every single freaking thing from Trump to soda, every topic under the sun is nothing but people crying

Well I'm sorry that our "whining" is causing you such anxiety & is so "insulting"...really, if all it takes is discussions in a satellite forum to "insult" you, I guess you have more problems than I'm having with these Ho's...

A lot of people are on here to learn and to help where we can, where I can anyway.

Not that you probably even remotely care, but I was doing satellite when it was only BUD's, before E* & D* came to exist. I was one of very first dealers to sell E* systems...the first receivers I worked with were the HTS 3200's that only looked at the 119 slot...so I've been around a bit.
I've had all but every type of DVR in my house...starting with the (non-satellite) Replay's & progressing thru numerous Tivo's (both standalone & D* based) as well as most of the E* ones...starting with that clusterf$%k Dishplayer w/the wireless keyboard. I've also had Comcast DVR's (back when we were Insight) & have one of those, also I haven't taken back yet.

My point to all this is - I've been on this board since it's inception. I've helped out many, many folks on here long before you probably even heard of this place, as well as my A/V sideline. Because I am NOT employed by any of these providers in any way, I am NOT behooved to wave pom-poms for ANY of them. I pick ALL of the providers apart & convey this knowledge to my clients...so that they are truly making an informed choice of (TV) providers..since they'll also be stuck for 2 years in most cases. I have always told it like it is...in the good, bad, awesome & horrible aspects of any of these services - and will continue to do so, regardless of what the opinions are of a "couple people". Last time I checked, this place is run by Scott G & he prides himself on letting everyone tell it like it is. If he or his mods have any problems with my postings, I KNOW they'll be happy to tell me personally. :p

If you don't like what I have to say, ignore works well, I have a few people on it and it makes life a lot better

Agree, but I WILL still call out B.S. when I see it - not changing at this stage. I'm surprised you're not over w/Chad at this "safer" site:
DISH Support Forum • Index page

I DO know the Search problems and the EPG problems seemed to start about the same time and how do they not go together?
You don't know. As soon as the original Hopper came out, long before the EPG problems, the Seek and Record function did not behave like the ViP Dish Pass, and was reported to have many fewer features and configurability than the old Dish Pass. The EPG issue just exasperated the differences between them.

I presume it is like anything. My old 2700 would be be activated either. The add on OTA unit for the Hopper or Wally, I was told the OTA signal has to be stronger than the built in 211k OTA tuner. Would my 1000.2 set up work with a Wally or Hopper? I am a single guy in my upper 60s and for my viewing I do not need more than what the 211k offers. The internet might be nice, but I do have the Roku and Chomecast. Where is is much more offerings. Why does someone call the Wally a poor choice?

Oh don't worry, I am here too. And on Facebook. Not being employed by them, it doesn't matter which site I am on. And I come here to help and give my opinion. I am on the other site, it is to help as it is not really the place for opinions. Those are not power users like here.

I think you meant "exacerbated". :D But I'm sure if we both had Hoppers, we'd both be quite exasperated as well. ;)
Yeah, I knew that wasn't right, but I didn't feel like going back and fixing it. I couldn't think of exacerbated at the time. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TheKrell
Dish knows more about their customer's viewing habits than we realize so if they're planning to implement a 2-tuner receiver, they likely have data that that says it will work for a sufficient number of customers.
In all fairness a two tuner that would only allow 1 joey would serve people that watched a lot of network locals pretty well if it worked like the rest of the hopper line and all 5 locals only used one tuner in fact it would be a significant upgrade. I am correct that even now the VIP receivers don't do this aren't I. It has been so long since I had a VIP I can not remember.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
In all fairness a two tuner that would Isnallow 1 joey would serve people that watched a lot of network locals pretty well if it worked like the rest of the hopper line and all 5 locals only used one tuner in fact it would be a significant upgrade. I am correct that even now the VIP receivers don't do this aren't I. It has been so long since I had a VIP I can not remember.

That's a good point about if it has PTAT. (all the networks recording at once) That would be a plus.
The question as asked by somebody is would it be cheaper for the subscriber? If not I'm sure I see the point of it. Would they make the DVR fee lower or even lower enough to make a difference than a the Hopper? If not Grandfathered isn't the DVR fee now the same for the VIP as it is for the Hopper? A Joey costs less than a second VIP but that's a severe downgrade for a $3 savings and wouldn't be a usable configuration for alot of people. (Just two Satellite tuners even with PTAT for the networks)

A configuration I can see it working with is as a second unit with the Hopper instead of a Joey - like a replacement for the Super Joey.(That I believe can not be used with the current Hopper) It would then provide a back-up and work in conjunction with the Hopper or be able to work on it's own. OR if someone really only needs two Satellite tuners as the only receiver but then it has to cost less and enough so that you give up 16 tuners. OR it has less bugs than the Hopper. :)

Reactions: pattykay
That's because of the EPG provider they stupidly switched to, that still can't figure it out, but you can't search for Tom Hanks and get results for Dish TV, On Demand and Netflix on a VIP and don't even get me started on Vip and on demand
Does a ViP even do Netflix? No? So why would you expect the search results to include Netflix on a ViP?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I don't want my DIsh receiver to do Netflix. Netflix is built into my TV and I have a Chromecast. I don't need it in my Dish receiver.

So after I posted how stable the 612 was, I was watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and he was doing a segment on a Time Warner/AT&T merger. He made a joke about watching this on AT&T and if you can keep your crappy service up long enough to watch this segment - 612 crashed! I thought the frozen frame was part of the joke. Had to reboot the thing twice before it came back.

Oh dear. I haven't noticed my 612's being crash-happy all of a sudden. Do you know of anything that might have caused this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts