VIP211 and DVR Capability with ext HD?

jetsetter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Any one know when this would be available - last I had read it was sometime in July - and now we are in the last week of July already...

Any update would be appreciated. Thanks

Original date for release was late 2007. Just like most everything with Dish, has got delayed.

The silence from Dish is stunning.

Makes me think it ISN'T coming soon. If it still was one would think they would drop a few crumbs to the great unwashed masses every week or two just to keep them drooling and not moving on to the next great thing.

I'm thinking about selling my 211 and going with Direct for my travel trailer. Besides not having to sit with my thumb stuck you-know-where I'd have the chance to do regular side-by-side comparisons of channel packages, equipment and picture quality and most importantly customer support.

Sorry Charlie.

Yeah, I've gotta think this feature is a pipe-dream. I'm not sure what their motivation would be in spending the $$$ to develop it. I'm sure their attitude has become "if you want a DVR, get a DVR". It's too bad because my FIL would like to convert his 211 into a DVR.

Yeah, I've gotta think this feature is a pipe-dream. I'm not sure what their motivation would be in spending the $$$ to develop it. I'm sure their attitude has become "if you want a DVR, get a DVR". It's too bad because my FIL would like to convert his 211 into a DVR.

They have motivation here... which is cheaper to make, a DVR or a non-DVR? Make the customer buy the hard drive and then also, if the HDD fails, it's not Dish's fault either. A win win I see for Dish.

They had one that was up and working, if I remember correctly, at the Team Summit in Dallas, 2007. They told us it was coming and showed it to us. At the time I wasn't so much interested in it because I was wanting a 622 really badly and saw no reason to have a 211, but now I wish I would have asked Leslie or the guy that showed it to us more questions.

That would be my attitude.
It surely has always been the attitude of Ford, Chrysler and GM but so far, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota have tried to give their customer the best product they are capable of producing.

Q:Who's eating who's lunch?

Q:What would DBS service be like if (when) our friends to the east decide they see Direct and Dish as yet another arrogant GM ready to be beaten like a rented mule?

Q:Or, how long before a (excuse the expression) "third world" banker just buys them both in hostel take overs?

I had a 622 in my bedroom but swapped it out for a 222 because the 622 was too noisy at night (drive and fan sounds) especially if it took a download in the middle of the night.

I want the DVR functionality and hope they make it available on both the 211 and the 222 (really a diskless 622) because I have an external hard drive that is so quite you don't know it's there. I'll then be able to record a couple of the wifes shows in there that I don't care about.

I just check my 211 info menu to see about this turbohd thing and discovered that my 211 had a software upgrade and I now have a menu for a EHD!!!!! the info panel show an upgrade to 520. I don't have an EHD can some one confirm this if so I am off to Wal-Mart for an EHD...Also if have a 510 DVR in the bedroom would I have additional monthly charges to add the drive to the 211?

Thanks and hoping for a good answer to this question

I just check my 211 info menu to see about this turbohd thing and discovered that my 211 had a software upgrade and I now have a menu for a EHD!!!!!

It'll be a while before I'll be home to check mine... can anyone with an EHD and 211 confirm? This would be awesome news!

I'm on it. I'll report back.
Never mind. I failed to realize that the 211 in my travel trailer is stone-cold OFF. So I won't be among the first but most likely the last poster here to get to try it.

I left the power on as I locked it up so it's only soft-off and should get downloaded the upgrade when it's supposed to.

BTW Called tech support and they still have 451 as the current software version and have nothing in their system about a new version of EHD yet.

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap!!! I wanted to be first.

And after I dragged my drives and cables and wall-warts out there and everything!

Last edited:
I just check my 211 info menu to see about this turbohd thing and discovered that my 211 had a software upgrade and I now have a menu for a EHD!!!!! the info panel show an upgrade to 520. I don't have an EHD can some one confirm this if so I am off to Wal-Mart for an EHD...Also if have a 510 DVR in the bedroom would I have additional monthly charges to add the drive to the 211?

Thanks and hoping for a good answer to this question
Anybody got the new software release number?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)