VIP211 L346 software update

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
Anyone notice the VIP211's got a software update last night? It has to be a partial phase, only one of mine got it, the other 3 are still L345 version. The difference is in the diagnostics menu. It now has a Analysis button. Click on it and you see a USB test button (mines greyed out) and a HDMI test button. I clicked on the hdmi test, and it has a box with DISP INFO, hdmi on/off (grayed out), color space (grayed out), and HDCP enable (grayed out). Looks like maybe dish is working on the hdmi and the usb issues!

Yep, here it is:

7/10/2007: 1057 Software Version L3.46 for ViP 211/DISH 411

Effective Tuesday, July 10th, Engineering has spooled a PARTIAL PHASE of software version L3.46 for the ViP 211/DISH 411 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
At this time L3.45 and L3.46 will be the valid software version for the ViP 211/DISH 411.

I just hope they fix the OTA problem.

I only get dropouts on 1 of my locals OTA. Of couse it is one that has some HD content that I would like to watch.

But where I live (Puget Sound area), E* still can't broadcast our FOX network because of a dispute with Tribune and it is the ONE local that I have never been able to get OTA (both antennaweb and TVFool confirms that it is next to impossible for me to get it)...

Anyone notice the VIP211's got a software update last night? It has to be a partial phase, only one of mine got it, the other 3 are still L345 version. The difference is in the diagnostics menu. It now has a Analysis button. Click on it and you see a USB test button (mines greyed out) and a HDMI test button. I clicked on the hdmi test, and it has a box with DISP INFO, hdmi on/off (grayed out), color space (grayed out), and HDCP enable (grayed out). Looks like maybe dish is working on the hdmi and the usb issues!

Yes, my 211 downloaded 3.46 at 0300 this morning, and appears to have caused major issues! It was working fine last night for the ESPNHD Home Run Derby, but now it won't tune in a single channel. I'm heading for tech support ASAP.:mad:

Yes, my 211 downloaded 3.46 at 0300 this morning, and appears to have caused major issues! It was working fine last night for the ESPNHD Home Run Derby, but now it won't tune in a single channel. I'm heading for tech support ASAP.:mad:

Unplug power for a few minutes and plug back in. That should fix the problem.

Much more informative to post pictures of new menus/messages from your TV screen, then lengthy describe it.
Will we see it here soon ?

OTA works!!! (so far)

I was able to check L346 for about 10 minutes this AM before work. Looks like they got the OTA working :up (first OTA I've been able to watch in months on this unit). I'll check some more when I get home tonight.

Jeff

Has anyone noticed the new signal strength meter on the new software update. It gives a much lower number and 10 and below is in red. I guess that means the reciever is not getting enough signal if it reaches that point.

I was able to check L346 for about 10 minutes this AM before work. Looks like they got the OTA working :up (first OTA I've been able to watch in months on this unit). I'll check some more when I get home tonight.

Jeff

That's great news. I won't be able to check my 211 until tonight.

Regarding the new Signal Strength meter, do a search we posted this last month. All receivers will get this new meter.

Has anyone noticed the new signal strength meter on the new software update. It gives a much lower number and 10 and below is in red. I guess that means the reciever is not getting enough signal if it reaches that point.
I understand Dish is trying to standardize the signal quality meter between platforms. If the number is yellow, then it's a marginal signal.

Ok my 211 does not have the L346 but my 411 did get the L3.46 my guide would show up and my menu. But I was not getting sound or video tried to do a test switch said all 3 Sat's were good. The only way I got my sound and video to work was to unplug the receiver plug it back in. I do like the signal quality meter which color codes things to let you know about your signal quality. One other thing I noticed is when you hit your "Guide Button"" to rotate from ""ALL SUB"" to ""ALL HD"" in the text area where you see the word ""ALL SUB"" it now says in "Yellow Text"" what is next. For example when you hit your "Guide Button"" and your in "ALL Sub"" the yellow text below say "Hit Guide To Go To All HD"" or whatever is next. These are some of the things I noticed on the L.346 as far as OTA fix's I don't use a OTA so could not tell you anything on that. But those that do let us know if this latest update has address any of those issues.

"One other thing I noticed is when you hit your "Guide Button"" to rotate from ""ALL SUB"" to ""ALL HD"" in the text area where you see the word ""ALL SUB"" it now says in "Yellow Text"" what is next. For example when you hit your "Guide Button"" and your in "ALL Sub"" the yellow text below say "Hit Guide To Go To All HD"" or whatever is next."

I noticed that too and I like it. I finally got home to check my 211 and it has the new update. Just want to say Thank You Dish Network for fixing the OTA problem on my 211. I can finally watch the two channels I had lost with L3.45.

The new SS meter is kind of scary but oh well, it's gonna take some getting used to. I have 29 SS on TP11 for 129 where as before I was getting 60. TP31 is showing 50 and before it was at 91.

Yeah the new SS Meter only thing I question about it is how accurate it really is. But glad to hear RandalA that your OTA issue is fixed hope it fixes some other folks OTA issues as well. :)

I had a couple of weird things happen with the 211 last night, but I'm not sure if it was the software or not. First, I was getting no signal through the HDMI. The pic on my screen was actually snow like with an empty analog channel. It would go snow, then black, then snow. I rebooted both set and receiver and unplugged and replugged the HDMI at both connections and got reception back.

Later, Worldsport started breaking up and a signal check showed the strength at less than 10. A few minutes later, the strength was back up and all was well. Weather outside was clear throughout.

Finally, while channel surfing at 2:30 AM or so, I started getting audio only. The guide and other displays would all show up, just not the actual TV picture. This time, I double checked the SD picture through my DVD recorder and it was black as well. I continued to surf to random channels and the picture eventually returned.

BTW, add me to the list of viewers who will need time to adjust to the new low signal figures.

Gee, I'm replying to my own post. The snow/black/snow problem appears to be HDMI related. For some reason, my Hitachi set won't consistently pickup the signal from the HDMI since my 211 software update. I'll get it initially, but if I tune another source and then go back to the satellite I get the snow/black/snow problem.

I can't confirm its the software or just an odd coincidence.

I've gone back to component for now and all is well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)