VIP211 - L563 software

levibluewa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
WA, OR, CA
1 receiver automatically received the new software the other did not. Is there a way to force the receiver to upgrade to the L563?

Thanks guys.

The software update was a partial release, meaning not all of the 211's will get it. Once the update is ready for the other receiver, it will take it, but there's no way to force it.

Receivers do not AUTOMATICALLY receive new software.

Dish specifies which receivers get the software, from a few at a time to a big chunk.

Spooling out upgrades in small portions helps we beta testers to report bugs that Dish's crack programmers did not detect.

Receivers do not AUTOMATICALLY receive new software.

Dish specifies which receivers get the software, from a few at a time to a big chunk.

Spooling out upgrades in small portions helps we beta testers to report bugs that Dish's crack programmers did not detect.
What Jim is trying to say is DISH has written so much CRAP software upgrades they only send it to a small test group to make sure there are minimal problems before a mass release.

The old software had the option of mapping the HD channels down to the SD numbers. For example, Syfy's HD channel 9432 could be mapped down next to 122. L563 forces the map-down whether you want it or not. You can't disable that option now.

I liked the ability to directly choose the SD channel (e.g. punch in "122" and directly get the SD version of Syfy). I have a old standard TV (in another room) plugged into the yellow video output of the 211. If I know that Syfy is broadcasting a 4:3 program, then the old TV gets a tiny picture with big black bars on ALL 4 sides of the picture on the HD channel, but the picture properly fills the screen when tuned to the SD channel.

Of course I can scroll up or down to reach the SD version after being taken to the HD channel, but I liked the ability (as did my programmable remote) to get there directly.

Am I the only one here who enjoyed the option of NOT having the HD channels mapped down to the SD numbers?

The old software had the option of mapping the HD channels down to the SD numbers. For example, Syfy's HD channel 9432 could be mapped down next to 122. L563 forces the map-down whether you want it or not. You can't disable that option now.

If it's anything like the L676 software for the 722, you still can. You just have to unhide the SD channel. Menu, Preferences Guide Format and change Channel Preferences to HDF & SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)