Vip211 Search Function? Help me please...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bgsmallwood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Nations
OK, so I have a fairly new 211 with L345 firmware and for the life of me I can't make the search function work.

When I search if I have a lot of results I can only see 5 of them.
Example: Search-category->Movies. I get 500 results but I can only view 5 of them. Page Down doesn't do anything but make the screen blink. Highlighting the list of results and pressing the down arrow button only moves to the 5th result and then just blinks. Pressing the "Next Day" button only makes the screen blink.

WTF?

So what am I missing or is L345 software version just fubar?

I'll take a shot even though I am at work and have not used search on my 622 much. Try skp fwd.

Is your guide populated out to future days? Are you using the proper guide?

OK, so guess what? Today it Works! I am doing the exact same thing that I did yesterday and now it works.

I am guessing the software got all balled up and when it rebooted last night at 3 am if fixed it, for now. I have seen it do this many times before though.

gdarwin: " Use the "page up", "page down" button." I used the pg up and pg down buttons on the remote as well as highlighting the "Page Down" button that was on the search screen and neither one of those worked yesterday. They do today.

epaul: The skip fwd button doesn't do anything on the 211, only the dvr functions of the 622.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just have to start rebooting more than once per day to keep this thing working right.

I guess I'll just have to start rebooting more than once per day to keep this thing working right.
There is something going on with the 211's. I got 4 of them and they all worked great till dish went to the L346 software then back to the L345. Their acting really screwed up! Some of my stuff that worked before doesn't now till i do a switch check and thats getting to be an everyday thing! I've called dish on this numerous times and all i get is from them is "oh that, yea its a software thing". Really great to hear that they know they have a problem but no one knows if or when it'll be fixed!!

There is something going on with the 211's. I got 4 of them and they all worked great till dish went to the L346 software then back to the L345. Their acting really screwed up! Some of my stuff that worked before doesn't now till i do a switch check and thats getting to be an everyday thing! I've called dish on this numerous times and all i get is from them is "oh that, yea its a software thing". Really great to hear that they know they have a problem but no one knows if or when it'll be fixed!!

I agree! I got used to having screwed up OTA problems like suddenly all stations show 0 signal strength and only works again after rebooting. So in addition to the nightly 3am reboot I usually reboot at least once per day for OTA issues and now this...

I used to do some programming and the search function bug looks to me like a memory leak in the software. A little memory leaked in one function, a little bit in another function and by the end of the day there isn't enough memory left for the search function to display the full list.

But for crying out loud, if I had to reboot my computer as much as I do this danged box I think I would just give up and go back to pencil and paper.

My 211 reboots around 5:30am and gets a full EPG at that time. If you don't have a full EPG, maybe you really only had 5 hits? If I want to search 44 hours out, I pull up the EPG, skip forward twice, say yes to the "Do you want to download the EPG" and go back to search again.

Last edited:
My 211 reboots around 5:30am and gets a full EPG at that time. If you don't have a full EPG, maybe you really only had 5 hits? If I want to search 44 hours out, I pull up the EPG, skip forward twice, say yes to the "Dpo you want to download the EPG" and go back to search again.

That is a good way to force a EPG update so thanks. Out of curiosity I might try that next time.

But I don't think that is the problem since the search screen will display that it has found 500 results or some number much higher than the 5 displayed. I am convinced it is sloppy software on the 211.

Update:

I checked yesterday several times and the search function worked properly, Until I checked at 8:04pm and the search was broken again. If I searched on a theme like "Movies" or "Sports" I get a result of "500 Matches" which I assume means they limit results to 500 maximum. But, I could only highlight the first 5 results displayed on the screen.

So I checked the switch in order to force it to reaquire the transponders and download the EPG but it still didn't work. Confidently, I depressed the power button to reboot the receiver. I was certain that rebooting would fix it. Still No Joy. Same symptom.

I checked again this morning and the search function does Not work at this time either.

So, it appears that the search function on the Vip211 only works properly "Some of the Time"

It would be helpful if other people with the vip211 could check and confirm my results before I call E* about this issue.

Never observed this anomaly on my 211.

It has only a 3 day Guide when it is fresh. As the day goes buy, it drops to two days and is refreshed every night or with check switch or when you try to observe info late in the third day.

Never observed this anomaly on my 211.

It has only a 3 day Guide when it is fresh. As the day goes buy, it drops to two days and is refreshed every night or with check switch or when you try to observe info late in the third day.

Thanks for the response.

As I said, I tested the switch and even rebooted the rcvr but still...

Although the search said that it found 500 matches ( when searching on Movie theme)
or several dozen matches when searching for more distinct criteria I still could only highlight the 5 matches that are initially displayed in the results window. The "Page Down" button are highlighted, not grayed out as it would be if there were only 5 matches and even the "Next Day" button is highlighted so it has found results for the next day but still, it only blinks, does not change what is displayed in the search results. It is almost useless. Like not have a search function at all!

Personally, I find the Dish search to be too klunky to use (does not search after each key input like TiVo, that's another story).

It sounds like you have a defective reciever, call Dish Tech Support and see if they have any trouble shooting scenarios for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts