ViP211 to ViP 722 Upgrade

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
Last month I was told I qualified to upgrade to a ViP 722 for $149 up front then I will get a $100 rebate after sending in the rebate form with the first copy of my bill reflecting the upgrade. This upgrade offer with an 18 month committment would be good till Jan. 31, 2008.

Today I bit. I called the CSR who sounded she was from central India. As long as I had no noise from around the house here, I hushed them all up, I was able to understand what she was saying.

I told her what I said up above about the $149 up front deal and she says no. It is $199. I said I was specifically told and mentioned the ViP 722 three times to be sure last month and was gauranteed the $149 up front price. She put me on hold for not more then 5 minutes and said she was told she could give me this deal but it was not available to everyone. Whatever. I got the deal for $149 less $100 rebate coming later. (Note for everyone, just keep pressing for this but be nice).

I also told the CSR that I had a problem with my multi-switch. I have a SW-64 operating 4 receivers. 2 HD and 2 SD tuners. One of the HD tuners is leased. A ViP 211. That will be replaced by the new ViP 722. One of the SD tuners is hooked to the multi-switch via the power inserter. Months ago it was determined that the power inserter is bad. That receiver cannot see the third satellite but after lots of changing what receivers were hooked to what output, a tech CSR determined I knew what I was doing and will send me a new power inserter. Since I had a SD receiver hooked to that output that could not see 61.5, it did not matter that I had a new power inserter. I was thinking now that I am adding a 2 tuner reciever to the house, it might.

I had the CSR transfer me to tech support about this issue so I would not have a problem with my new installation. Now it seems I am getting my multi-switch changed from a SW-64 to a Dish Pro 44. I also told both CSR's the ViP 722 will operate 2 TV's but in fact will run 3 TV's. TV 1 is HD. That is easy. TV's 2 and 3 will operate 2 sets (I know they are stuck on the same channel) but here I have a 15 year old kid who will operate it mainly and the other set is for when my 20 year old daughter comes home to visit. She is off to college now. So here I will just run co-ax with a splitter to their TV's. They are both SDTV's.

I have a ViP 211 in the bedroom that I own. That does not change.

The kids have SDTV's. One is run by a 301 and the other by an 811. After the installation and my getting the wireing together, I am taking the 301 and 811 off the account and will sell them on eBay. Those sets will share the TV2 output on the new ViP 722.

The installation is Thursday AM. Wish me luck. :)

I just looked at my recent activity online. Does this look right?

RECENT ACTIVITY

Posting Date Action Date Description Amount

01/28 PAYMENT - THANK YOU -149.00
COUNTY TAX -2.00
STATE TAXES -2.00
01/27 01/26 UPGRADE CHARGE -50.00

Anyone here know anything about those county and state charges? And what about that upgrade charge? This is getting scary.

Haven't seen an upgrade charge on my bill and I upgraded recently.
Never was informed about any "upgrade" fee-- so had better not see one.

I would question that and document/ any conversations or emails.

I just looked at my recent activity online. Does this look right?

RECENT ACTIVITY

Posting Date Action Date Description Amount

01/28 PAYMENT - THANK YOU -149.00
COUNTY TAX -2.00
STATE TAXES -2.00
01/27 01/26 UPGRADE CHARGE -50.00

Anyone here know anything about those county and state charges? And what about that upgrade charge? This is getting scary.

I never heard of a county tax.. sounds like a scam...
Looks like the Indian is charging you 199 come hell or high water...

I never heard of a county tax.. sounds like a scam...
Looks like the Indian is charging you 199 come hell or high water...

Here in FL we all pay County taxes on Dish, electric, phones, and water. Isn't that nice? I remember back about 25 yrs. ago when I lived in CT a politician-(Parasite) got the bright idea how to make more $$ for the state so they started taxing utilities one by one. Unfortunately, some states are far greedier than others when it comes to taxing our Dish service.:mad:

Hi again Boys & Girls! Your never gonna believe this one. I sure as hell don't. Not yet anyway.

I just had some time to call the New York State Department of Tax & Finance and my local county treasurers office. Both offices said there is no such thing as a tax on satellite TV charges in New York State.

I then called Dish Network. I got somebody who I am sure in in the good old USA this time. Here is what he said when I pointed everything out.

First I asked about that $50 upgrade fee. He said to notice the minus sign in front of the amount. That will be a reduction to my next bill. Wow! An additional $50 off beyond what I was expecting? I still get that $100 rebate? I asked, and he said yes.

Then I asked about the taxes. He then points out the minus signs again and says my next bill will be reduced by those amounts. I can't understand where this came from but I am all for it.

I repeated my understanding of all of this very slowly back to the CSR and he says I am correct. I just paid $149 to upgrade. I will get $50 off my next bill for the upgrade fee, $2 off some state tax and $2 off some county tax for a total of $54 off my next bill. I will still get the $100 rebate later so my net cost is.. I am up $5 for this upgrade.

I hope this is all true. My wife wants to kill me for trying this but can this all be? In the end, I am up $5 for this upgrade. Others please chime in.

Wow, thanks!

I just upgraded from a 942 to a 722 and was charged $199.

After seeing your post I called the Exec Office number and complained (not rude, but I made it clear this 13 year Dish customer was not happy I had to pay $100 more than you did for the same thing).

Well, she appologized for the error and gave me a $100 credit!!

The "system" did not have me flagged as a 5 Star account, although she says it should have. She fixed that too.

If I hadn't seen your post, I'd be $100 and 1 star poorer right now.

Thanks again.

Upgrade to ViP722 Completed!

Hi again boys and girls!

First off I would like to say you are very welcome to HailScroob. It's reasons like you describe that we are all here for.

Wow, thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just upgraded from a 942 to a 722 and was charged $199.

After seeing your post I called the Exec Office number and complained (not rude, but I made it clear this 13 year Dish customer was not happy I had to pay $100 more than you did for the same thing).

Well, she appologized for the error and gave me a $100 credit!!

The "system" did not have me flagged as a 5 Star account, although she says it should have. She fixed that too.

If I hadn't seen your post, I'd be $100 and 1 star poorer right now.

Thanks again.

My installation was completed a few hours ago and it went very well and I love this receiver. I have been getting used to all the things it can do and I am very pleased! One of my daughters' is hooked up to TV-2 on it in her room and is exploring it's features right now. I will talk more about that in a couple more days after I get to know most everything about it.

I would like to talk about Carlos the installer though. A nice guy but make sure you know what you need to know about what is going to happen for your install from both this site and Dish tech support is a good source for additional info as well.

I knew I was being upgraded from a legacy switch to a DPP-44 as well. LNB's needed changing and no trouble there. Because of extra cables not being used running into the house now, I asked him to just leave them there so I may be set for an OTA hook-up later without fishing new wires around. You gotta love what Carlos said about this..

Carlos said after this year there will be no such thing as OTA. I said thats not true. I said there will be no more analogue signals but there will be digital TV available OTA. He said no. You must have cable or satellite or you will be outta luck. I tried explaining this further and even telling him about the digital to analogue coverter boxes along with the government's coupon program. He stopped arguing but I don't know if he beleives me or not.

More on Carlos..

He did not need my old remotes and I want to just keep using them. Carlos said the old remotes won't work. In an instant I proved him wrong with TV-1. TV-2 did not work yet but after he left I just went to the system info screen to see the remote's address. The UHF remote address from the old 811 was set to 1 but the receiver was set to 8. I changed the remote to 8 and it now works great. Now I have 2 brand new remotes that will stay brand new for now. This was much easier than exploring for the codes to work the TV's, DVD's and VCR's. And the old remotes work great! I called him back later to let him know about this. He didn't answer, I just left him a voice mail.

He then has me sign the committment form that happened to be the new one. The 24 month committment. I said no, no, no. It is an 18 month committment. I told him to call his office to confirm, he did, confirmed and we ammended the agreement to 18 months by changing all the 24's to 18's and we both initialed these changes where made. I made sure to make a copy to keep. BTW.. today was the last day for the 18 month committment deal. Starting tomorrow, 2/1/08 it does go to 24 months. I am not sure if this means the actual installation or the call to upgrade. Somebody else might chime in on this.

Thanks to this site I have been kept on the ball. Watch for my member status to change from member to supporter very soon. This place is worth it. Thank you Scott and everyone else.

Well the state and county tax came back once my bill became viewable in adobe format online. I called Dish and all the CSR could say was something they just needed to charge and could not really explain it further.

I then called the New York State Dept. of Taxation and Finance. The man I spoke to had never heard of such a thing and is investigating. While on the phone, he did some math and no formula that would apply to my county made any sense as to how the charge was even figured.

Question for any other New York people:
If you upgraded your leased receiver recently, did you see any taxes added to your bill?

The tax dept. is calling Dish as I type this for an explanation and will call me back later.

Well the tax dept. just called back. It seems that Dish had to pay some sort of tax on the receiver and passed that cost on to me. Still doesn't make sense.

Again, any other NY people see this on their bill?

Well the tax dept. just called back. It seems that Dish had to pay some sort of tax on the receiver and passed that cost on to me. Still doesn't make sense.

Again, any other NY people see this on their bill?

Its always been mandatory for business doing business in NY. Technically its also been mandatory for you to pay it for out of state businesses as well although such business do not collect it. Do your NYS income taxes yet? There is a whole section in it about USE taxes (another name for the sales tax).

Here's something for you... After my call to Dish last week, for me to upgrade from a Vip-222 to a Vip-722, it will only cost $60 shipped. No need for them to come out and install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)