vip211 to vip622 room swap question...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So, the setup: I have a vip211 receiver installed in my bedroom. It was installed two weeks ago, and the installer put in a line amplifier in that room (said it was easier than putting it on my main room's 622--a real rat's nest of cables) as well as a new dp44 switch and 1000 dish.

I have a vip622 on order, due to be delivered today. I was intending to install it in a third room to replace my last remaining 'legacy' receiver, an 811. That is in my office for viewing while I'm working at home, but primarily serves a Slingbox, which is great, allowing me to access my programming through the house and on the road.

Question: If I install the 622 in the third room, then, at some future date, decide that I'd get more use out of it in the bedroom and wish to move it and the Slingbox (would only require either a WiFi extender or Sling's own networking solution), i.e. swapping w/ the 211, are there any gotcha's I should be aware of? The powered line in particular makes me scratch my head...will it complicate the wiring necessary for the 622? From what I understand, it shouldn't. I just need to put a seperator in for the two sat-lines, just like I would in the room w/ the 811. And the diplexer I'm using to sep the OTA antenna and the sat feed should likewise work in that room as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Note that an '811' is NOT Legacy - that's a totally separate series of boxes.

If by "line amplifier" you mean the pwoer inserter for the DPP44 switch, then you DO have a concern - you can't easily diplex on the same cable as the inserter.

This is easily solved, however. The inserter goes on the cable that goes to Receiver Port #1 of the DPP44 switch. SO, move the inserter along with the receiver it's currently hooked to, AND swap the cables at the switch so that said receiver and inserter are still on Port #1.

SimpleSimon said:
Note that an '811' is NOT Legacy - that's a totally separate series of boxes.

If by "line amplifier" you mean the pwoer inserter for the DPP44 switch, then you DO have a concern - you can't easily diplex on the same cable as the inserter.

This is easily solved, however. The inserter goes on the cable that goes to Receiver Port #1 of the DPP44 switch. SO, move the inserter along with the receiver it's currently hooked to, AND swap the cables at the switch so that said receiver and inserter are still on Port #1.

I understand your legacy comment--I'm just referring to all pre-MPEG4 receivers as legacy in the sense of 'out-of-date', as they sort of are at this point (esp. for HD customers looking forward to new programming).

As for the power inserter, you nailed it--and the diplexer issue you point out is exactly what I experienced when attempting the swap-out yesterday. My 211 moved into position where my 811 was painlessly, but the new 622 wasn't able to check the switch properly for exactly the reason you point out. I have a service call in and expect the necessary swap on the roof and the inserter to happen on Wednesday...thanks for the input, as that will hopefully mean the service call is quite fast/efficient. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a ladder tall enough to access my roof.

Quick follow-up. Tech service call yesterday and it seems the issue I had getting my 622 to 'check switch' properly during my self-install was due to a loose fitting at the switch (it, in fact, had a fitting that had some metal that needed trimming as well). Once that was discovered and quickly remedied, all went smoothly. The wiring otherwise was just fine (integrity and manner of installation). The powered line inserter didn't need to be moved. All sats coming in strong, and I'm getting all my locals from diplexed OTA just fine. Hmmm.

Oh well, up and running and all is well. Still, curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts