VIP211 very strange HDMI problem

The Marquis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I've got a very strange problem with my 211k receiver. When I connect it to a 22" Acer P221W monitor via HDMI->DVI cable, the screen alternates between a picture and snow every half second or so. When I hook it up to an older 22" monitor that I have using the same cable, it works flawlessy. It also works fine when I connect the hdmi to my old RPTV.

The same monitor that doesn't work with the 211 works fine when connected to my upconverting DVD player outputting 1080i and a Samsung OTA tuner outputting 720p.

I tried outputting 3 different resolutions on the 211 to the monitor. When I check the signal info on the monitor, it thinks it's receiving some oddball resolutions. Here's what the monitor says it's receiving for the following:

720p: 1440 x 624
1080i: 1920 x 540
480p: 720 x 480 ( I get the same alternating snow/picture here too)

Is there something I'm overlooking or are these two units simply incompatible?

Generally speaking, HDCP application is pretty limited.

The problem is that the monitor isn't understanding the query and/or the 211 isn't understanding the response. One of the features of HDMI is the devices must communicate and if one of them isn't correct in its grammar, there will be issues.

Many consumer devices have been tweaked significantly to compensate for the speech impediments of displays. Almost anything that works with a Samsung HDMI TV has been tweaked in some way.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the problem is most definitely software related and not due to defective hardware. Do you agree?

Just for a little more information, I've since connected the monitor to an H20 Directv box and it worked fine.

Will calling Dish about this issue get me anywhere?

New wierd problem

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (the title of this one is perfect) but I just had an odd thing happen with one of my 211k's and I'm wondering if it's a common occurrence.

For 6 months or so, except for having periodic USB external drive disconnects at random, and the unit crash and burn on one OTA ATSC channel, the unit in question has worked fine. (OK and a crappy outside dish install but I almost have that completely fixed.. :) )

All of a sudden today, the HDMI output is out of video sync on my 42" 720p Phillps set. I see part of the vertical sync (a small green bar) on the left side of the screen and the picture is no longer centered in the set. Component, RF etc are OK. Did all of the unplug, change HDMI cable out stuff, resets of unit, changing through 480p, 7200, 1080i, etc. Plugged in my wife's laptop (in 720p mode just like the unit's normal configuration) and no problem. Interesting enough on my set using component is noticable fuzzier with 720p. Plus I LIKE having the audio routed through the HDMI interface...

I called Dish and I have a new one on the way, but I'm curious if this is something that anyone has heard of before. (I'm and engineer and can't leave stuff like this alone.) My other receiver is OK. I was thinking it was due maybe to a SW update but it appears I do not have the newest L525 sw on that unit.

Anyway I figured I'd report it in case someone else sees it. It's odd.. really odd. But the HDMI on that box is fragile. It's the only HDMI component I own that will not work through the switchbox I have...

Fred

Fred, don't know how this applies, but my hdmi out simply quit yesterday after working fine since February. Now watching on component, which isn't bad. I neglected to see if the tv saw a signal in a different resolution. The port does seem lose to the touch. Briefly I would see the snowy pic flicker, then nothing. Now it's just nothing.

Since the box is only 4 months old (I own it), is it under warranty ? Or do I have to buy the insurance and wait a month ?

Edit: watching on a 720p Panansonic plasma w/EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)