VIP211K & EHD

Paulus

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Is there a battery inside the VIP211K which helps it remember it's configuration during a power cut?

Over the last week or so I have had two power cuts and after both of them I get a message on the TV saying the receiver has found a USB device connected and I should reboot the receiver to activate it. After I reboot the receiver the hard disk is recognised and I can see all my recordings on it.

This hasn't happened with power cuts in the past. The receiver isn't showing any other problems.

In those other power outages, did you have the EHD installed? Maybe there is some new software that makes this a new requirement...

I also have a 211k with EHD. I doubt it's a software update issue as we've lost power for short periods of time in the past month and did not see this happen. I also had to unplug the 211k for a little bit and also didn't have that issue.

The 211k in my bedroom does this if I unplug the usb. I hate the blinking lights coming from the WD HDD, but it's a pain to go through that process each and every time I insert the plug.

Put some black tape over the blinking lights.... ;) I did that with the TV in my bedroom, it had a red standby light that faced the bed...

Is your EHD a Seagate, by any chance?
No, the EHD is WD drive. The receiver also forgot the EHD yesterday with no power cut. I unplugged the USB cable from the receiver and plugged it back in again and the receiver recognised it. The connection in the plug felt loose. So now it looks like it is either a dodgy connector or the EHD is on its way out. I've had it since the VIP211K first had the EHDs activated, which was quite a while ago.

I just had to get used to sleeping with a strobe light in the room. :)

I hear ya. My wife wants near complete darkness when she sleeps. Yet she can fall asleep with the TV blaring and flashing like crazy. Of course, if I try to watch TV with the audio turned down near to inaudibility, she wakes up and says it's time to get some sleep. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts