VIP211K external hard drive question

mazspeed

Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
campbell ca
Hey guys, new to this forum, so excuse the question if it has been asked before. I have not seen it, so I thought I would ask. Ok I bought a 3tb seagate external hard drive today, and I found out that you can use only up to a 1tb on the vip. Is this true, and if it is, can I partition it out for a 1tv drive, and use the other 2tb for storage for movies to be hooked up on a computer to my TV? I have a large scale system that I use on my big TV in the living room with 400 or so blu rays and it works great, but that system has the vip622 so I don't have any external drive as I don't need one for that. So will this work by doing a partition on the drive to get it to work on the 211k and use the extra storage for uploaded movies?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Welcome.

Anything over 1T the 211K will refuse to format. NO, on the partitioning. Formatting is Linux based.

I keep getting usb errors on my Vip221. It keeps disconnecting from my 750GB Seagte HD an asks me to format the drive to use it. I can unplug the power to the USB HD, an then unplug the power to the reciever, wait a few mins an plug up the USB HD first, then followed by the powering the reciever back up an be fine for a while. But when i try to watch some newly recorded material, its all glitchy an freezes up an causes the reciever to reset, an then prompt me to format the HD again. Could the HD or reciever be causing the problems? Should i be looking to back up the recorded materials i have on the HD? I would say the HD is like maybe 20% full at the most, so i don't think im running out of room yet. Could my signal quality be causing the problem as my signal quality is in the mid 80's for both dishes, i notice that when watching something recorded that starts to glitch up, its more sound related than picture. Could the dolby processor be going bad on the reciever, causing problems during playback?

I keep getting usb errors on my Vip221. It keeps disconnecting from my 750GB Seagte HD an asks me to format the drive to use it. I can unplug the power to the USB HD, an then unplug the power to the reciever, wait a few mins an plug up the USB HD first, then followed by the powering the reciever back up an be fine for a while. But when i try to watch some newly recorded material, its all glitchy an freezes up an causes the reciever to reset, an then prompt me to format the HD again. Could the HD or reciever be causing the problems? Should i be looking to back up the recorded materials i have on the HD? I would say the HD is like maybe 20% full at the most, so i don't think im running out of room yet. Could my signal quality be causing the problem as my signal quality is in the mid 80's for both dishes, i notice that when watching something recorded that starts to glitch up, its more sound related than picture. Could the dolby processor be going bad on the reciever, causing problems during playback?
I imagine that you have a VIP211 receiver that had been working with the EHD until recently. The error message that you have been receiveing should have a 3 digit # on the top right hand corner. Can you send that to me so I research the issue and see what we can do to resolve it for you! Thank you!

80's is good signal, so that isn't your problem.

Did the receiver format the EHD before the first time you used it? Has the EHD been used for anything else besides the receiver?

It's not easy to test if it's the receiver since the 211 can't do any recording on its own.

If you have another 1TB or less USB drive... I would try it ... if it works.. you can try copying the content from one USB drive to the other (windows won't work for this without alpha/beta drivers for ext2/ext3 file systems ... and wouldn't recommend using those lightly) once you get content copied over and can see it on the second drive.. let the box reformat your first drive.. at worst you have a drive dying, at best its just some funkiness with the drive to the receiver happening and a format might fix it..

Good Luck!

Well shucks. The EHD on my 211 died today with a bunch of recorded material on it. :mad:

Anyway, I found a good WD 1TB drive that I think might be the ticket but it says USB 3.0 on the specs page.
Anyone know if a 3.0 drive is backwards compatible with the 2.0 controller on the 211 ?

It's supposed to be. N. B. I haven't tested this. I have tested an advanced format drive on my 722 and 612's, and they work. Not clear they're as fast as they should be...

The USB 3.0 specifications require an item to be backwards compatible with USB 2.0. So if any device says it is officially USB 3.0, it will definitely work with USB 2.0 controllers.

Well shucks. The EHD on my 211 died today with a bunch of recorded material on it. :mad:

Anyway, I found a good WD 1TB drive that I think might be the ticket but it says USB 3.0 on the specs page.
Anyone know if a 3.0 drive is backwards compatible with the 2.0 controller on the 211 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)