VIP211k with 1000.4 for deer camp

perzaklie

Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
South
It's deer hunting season and I'm thinking of taking my VIP211k from the spare room to deer camp. I'm told I need a 1000.4 dish and I downloaded the installation instructions. Now unless I am missing something, and I'm sure I am, I don't see how to connect the three LNBs to my single input receiver.

I haven't bought the 1000.4 eastern arc yet, so I want to make sure I'm getting the correct dish, and any other hardware I need. I'm located in south Arkansas and I have the 1000.4 eastern arc, 61.5, 72, 77, dish at home so it seems reasonable I would use same at deer camp but I don't know how to hook it up! Any help sure would be appreciated!

The 1000.4 has an internal switch.

One wire from the 1000.4 to your single input will give you all 3 satellites.

You might also want to consider a system that Dish has on the market called the Tailgater. It is for 211 recievers. You hook up your 211 to the tailgater dish and the tailgater does an auto find of all three satellites. In no time you are watching programming. No fussing with a dish on a tripod. This thing is pretty easy to pack with your gear when you go hunting. It is a very small package. Inside is a dish that tracks to whatever satellite it needs to get programming as you change channels.

It is popular with RVers, truck drivers. I have even heard of military guys using them while on excercises. You can check online for it or better yet call some of you local Dish retailers and see if they have one in stock. Cost wise it is way less than any of the Winegard solutions.

Looks like the tailgater is out of my price range. I am finding Eastern Arc dishes with
  • 1000.4 Dish Pro Plus LNB (77, 72.7 & 61.5 Orbits)
  • 1000.4 Satellite Dish Reflector
  • W2 Improved Mounting Mast/Foot
  • Skew and Elevation Bracket
  • Feed Arm
  • Integrated Feed Bracket
  • Screw Pack
and on eBay for around $70-$90 shipped.

Are there any quick tips for aiming one of these? I used to have a 500 setup years ago and it wasn't too hard to get two sats, but three are kinda intimidating as I think about it.

Looks like the tailgater is out of my price range. I am finding Eastern Arc dishes with
  • 1000.4 Dish Pro Plus LNB (77, 72.7 & 61.5 Orbits)
  • 1000.4 Satellite Dish Reflector
  • W2 Improved Mounting Mast/Foot
  • Skew and Elevation Bracket
  • Feed Arm
  • Integrated Feed Bracket
  • Screw Pack
and on eBay for around $70-$90 shipped.

Are there any quick tips for aiming one of these? I used to have a 500 setup years ago and it wasn't too hard to get two sats, but three are kinda intimidating as I think about it.

Really not much difference versus 2 or 3 as long as you have a plumb mast/pole & correct dish settings.

As long as you know what you're doing it will be fairly easy to get your setup working. If you plan on using this in different areas throughout the year I would invest in the Tailgater. It's so incredibly easy and by far the cheapest for a mobile Dish.

You may be better off sacrificing one satellite position and getting a Dish 500 with the EA LNB for 61.5 & 72 as it would be easier to set up and easier than the Dish 1000.4 to transport.

I mean, you're out in the middle of the woods, right? The deer would probably like it if you were too busy watching Dish HD and not hunting them... :)

I think I can help, if your tripod or mast are set at 90 degrees that solves most of your issues, then your elevation should be much higher then a dish 500, in Michigan my elevation is 41. your skew also should be different from a dish 500 because your not picking up the 110 orbital location again my skew would be set at 79 from then on its just sweep.

now not to sound insulting but if you have your TV next to you go in to the menu press 6 ,1 and 1 again it will take you to a signal meeter right on the VIP 211 if you don't what to invest in signal meters
there are some cheep ones that do the job very well like the Acturac 22 PRO or even the Digisat 3 they wouldn't cost no more then $130 or you can always find them new or used on eBay or signallocked.com

hope this helps