VIP211K with external Hard Drive stopped recording

heinlein

Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Placerville CA
My first thought was the HD was the problem but I can still pause and continue from that point which leads me to believe that the problem may be elsewhere. Any suggestions?

After unplugging it last night I tried recording something this morning. It indicates it is recording with a red circle on the program on the guide page; but every few minutes the picture blacks out and there is no sound for a second or two. When I check my recordings it doesn't appear on the list. If I rewind; it will only rewind to the last black out.

Have you looked at your signal/quality levels? If your signal level is low, you can get video dropouts. Does the signal ever drop out when you are watching live, or only when you are recording?

I finally found my signal strength; 59. What should it be?
OK, well that depends on which Satellite and which transponder you're looking at. If it's western arc, I use Transponder 21 on the Check Switch Screen, you want the 110 and 119 in the 70's, 129 in the high 50's. Being in Cali, they could be higher

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK, well that depends on which Satellite and which transponder you're looking at. If it's western arc, I use Transponder 21 on the Check Switch Screen, you want the 110 and 119 in the 70's, 129 in the high 50's. Being in Cali, they could be higher
Also in California, on transponder 21: 110=72, 119=75, 129=46. They’ve been that way forever and I get no rain fade. Well, let’s say little to none, I had a 10 second fade the other day when it was pouring outside. That’s the first one I’ve had in many years.

OK I just checked again 110 ranges from 58 - 61, 119 is 71, and 129 is 47. In the next few days I should be able to have someone help me so I can get the dish pointed correctly.

The signal you have it's not great, but it is not bad eider and if you don't know what are you doing may get worst.

My suggestion is to try with new hard drive, if you have bad sectors on the hard drive some times will work, sometimes you will get interrupted recording . Also check the signal in windy weather and see how much fluctuate.

Reactions: the mack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)