OTA duel tuner when Dish has rain fade ? (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

Falcon195

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 23, 2018
Ohio
I think I read here that the OTA duel tuner will not work when your Dish service has no reception due to rain fade. To me it seems that this wouldn't be true. As the OTA tuner receives its signal from an external antenna. But I could be wrong. So can anyone give me any insight ?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I think I read here that the OTA duel tuner will not work when your Dish service has no reception due to rain fade. To me it seems that this wouldn't be true. As the OTA tuner receives its signal from an external antenna. But I could be wrong. So can anyone give me any insight ?

It continues working

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
What you think you read is wrong! You just need to access the guide and pick the OTA channel.

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I think it depends on how long the Hopper3 receiver loses the satellite signals. When my roof was redone they had to remove my satellite dish. The satellite dish was down for 2 weeks. Initially I could watch OTA channels. After several days my Hopper3 receivers went into a constant reboot mode. As soon as my satellite dish was remounted the reboots stopped.
Of course rain fade should never last several days.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 24, 2006
Unless they've corrected the update that messed everything up. During a storm on a Wally the OTA channels ARE affected, I repeat ARE. You can watch them but theirs the error message smack dab in the middle of the screen.

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
Earth
Unless they've corrected the update that messed everything up. During a storm on a Wally the OTA channels ARE affected, I repeat ARE. You can watch them but theirs the error message smack dab in the middle of the screen.

No problem watching ota on my Wally when rain fade occurs, which is often. No error message.

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 24, 2006
The latest update must have corrected the issue because their were some posting of complaints here just a few months ago.

billowens

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 12, 2008
East Texas
That was me that originally posted the OTA error message during rain fade. The message pops up, grays out the screen and I can't get the error message to go away. Audio works fine. This is a channel that is on Dish locals that I can pull in off my outside antenna. The sub-channels are not affected that are not offered by Dish.

Sent from my cheap phone using the SatelliteGuys app!

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
That was me that originally posted the OTA error message during rain fade. The message pops up, grays out the screen and I can't get the error message to go away. Audio works fine. This is a channel that is on Dish locals that I can pull in off my outside antenna. The sub-channels are not affected that are not offered by Dish.

Sounds like a bug. Is it still doing it? Have you reported it to DISH?

Reactions: charlesrshell

billowens

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 12, 2008
East Texas
I reported the issue to tech Dept (after being on hold forever). They said they will look into it. Said they need to replicate the issue, which I'm not sure how they will. To answer your question, thankfully we have not had bad enough weather to fade the signal and I haven't needed to try it.

Reactions: JSheridan

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 24, 2006

You might have, but so to have I and in my case and 2-3 confirmed my case it did affect digital subchannels on our Wally's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts