ViP211z No Output

Groover

Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I have a ViP211z receiver and Playmaker that I recently purchased used for my travel trailer.

I connect everything up, turn the TV on to HDMI 1, turn on the receiver (green light on) and within a minute I have the screen where I can select which state I am in. I go through that and everything works great. I watch TV for a few hours.

Time for bed and I turn only the TV off, leaving the receiver on.

The next morning I turn the TV on and there is no signal on HDMI 1. The receiver still has it's green light on. I remove and apply power, green light comes on, no output to TV even after waiting 10 minutes. I press and hold the reset button, the green light goes off then on, I wait another 10 minutes and no output to the TV. I also tried removing the access card.

I give up, frustrated. Trying again a few hours later and it all works fine, however it has to re-find the satellites.

I did manage at one point going through various combinations to upset the receiver so it wanted to go through 38 checks rather than the usual three.

What do I need to do to avoid this hassle (and ideally having to go through refinding the satellines when the Playmaker nas not moved).

Thanks!

I have a ViP211z receiver and Playmaker that I recently purchased used for my travel trailer.

I connect everything up, turn the TV on to HDMI 1, turn on the receiver (green light on) and within a minute I have the screen where I can select which state I am in. I go through that and everything works great. I watch TV for a few hours.

Time for bed and I turn only the TV off, leaving the receiver on.

The next morning I turn the TV on and there is no signal on HDMI 1. The receiver still has it's green light on. I remove and apply power, green light comes on, no output to TV even after waiting 10 minutes. I press and hold the reset button, the green light goes off then on, I wait another 10 minutes and no output to the TV. I also tried removing the access card.

I give up, frustrated. Trying again a few hours later and it all works fine, however it has to re-find the satellites.

I did manage at one point going through various combinations to upset the receiver so it wanted to go through 38 checks rather than the usual three.

What do I need to do to avoid this hassle (and ideally having to go through refinding the satellines when the Playmaker nas not moved).

Thanks!
Have you tried turning the receiver off when you turn the TV off? I believe the receivers go through the 38 checks when it fails the first set. That would point to an issue with the cabling/Dish (or a bad receiver, which could explain everything).

Reactions: pattykay
I know I replaced an electrolytic capacitor in my ViP 211, so the 211k also has this issue as well? The good news is if you know your way around a circuit board and can solder, it’s a fairly easy and inexpensive repair. My 211 failure and fix thread is probably in the Archives by now. Ah-ha, it was from November 2015, not that long ago: ViP 211 Warning 981

That ViP 211 is still in use on our PAYG account for the family cabin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I have a brand new Wally on the way to me, but I will have to stick with this ViP221z unit for the remainder of my current trip. I will survive! :)

Reactions: pattykay
I know I replaced an electrolytic capacitor in my ViP 211, so the 211k also has this issue as well? The good news is if you know your way around a circuit board and can solder, it’s a fairly easy and inexpensive repair. My 211 failure and fix thread is probably in the Archives by now. Ah-ha, it was from November 2015, not that long ago: ViP 211 Warning 981

That ViP 211 is still in use on our PAYG account for the family cabin.

I fixed my VIP211 [R5000 modded] as well, what a relief, working perfectly now. Dunno for sure about a cap problem in the 'K'.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts