vip222k reciever

ked

Nov 28, 2008
Are the silver vip222k receivers old technology? Dish sent me a new 222k and it was black but it didn't work tech had silver one in truck and are now having another issue. Just wondering

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
The 222 receivers are silver and are the older models. The 222k receivers are the newer models and are black. All 222/222k receivers are being phased out though.

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Is Dish going to be pushing Hopper/Joeys instead?

They have been already. They are still offering VIP equipment but not the 222 receivers in most cases. If a customer wants a two TV install then they have to get two 211 receivers. They can no longer get a dual tuner as the primary receiver unless it's a DVR like the 722k.

The reason Dish gives is that the 222 is old technology and customers have more HDTVs in their homes. They say it makes more sense for a customer that wants a two room install to have two HD receivers. What sucks is there are still a lot of people that only care to only have HD on the main TV and then save money by having TV2 in SD on their second TV.

What's even worse is this eliminates a lot of install scenarios for us. We do a lot of mirroring for our customers because they still have multiple TVs in the house but do not need a receiver at each one. They want to be able to watch TV on them but what to keep their bills down so they mirror TV2 to multiple TVs in the house. This has alwasy been a great advantage that Dish has offer the competition and now they are ending it.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
You'll be better off with something other than a ViP222 series box. Even if you have no interest in DVR functions today, that may change.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

visionman

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 22, 2010
Lowville, New York
No more 222 series??

You're kidding! We have a 222k and it's the perfect setup for us. You save the rental fee on the 2nd receiver and no DVR fee. Our daughter just closed on a home and wants the same exact setup we have, mirroring the TV2. Is there a date that the 222k will not be available or is it that way now??

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
You're kidding! We have a 222k and it's the perfect setup for us. You save the rental fee on the 2nd receiver and no DVR fee. Our daughter just closed on a home and wants the same exact setup we have, mirroring the TV2. Is there a date that the 222k will not be available or is it that way now??

It is still listed on their web site. Even so, you could always BUY one for about $150 and just have Dish activate it (& start the monthly billing).

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
DVRs are likely to be more troublesome because of the moving parts and extra heat generated. All the same, mine have been quite reliable but you can only expect so many years of use.

I can't imagine watching a show, then 5 or 6 commercials, then back to the show. ESPECIALLY since most commercials are pushing products that have no relation to me. If commercial skipping went away tomorrow, I have a lot of movies on discs and a library with plenty of books. I won't go back to the bad old days of being held hostage by the network advertisers.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
We're spoiled. Not! We've just learned we don't need to be taken advantage of. The old model must morph. No one promised wagon wheel makers they'd go on forever without change; no one can promise that to the networks.

visionman

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 22, 2010
Lowville, New York
Thanks for that info Krell :) I think the 222k is the greatest receiver. As far as commercials, we've always had them so it's no big deal. (Gives me time for "potty" and beer break) Even though we have the HD panel tv in the bedroom also, the SD picture is fine and the networks are HD from antenna. Our daughter and fiance have 5 tvs with only the main tv an HD so they want the same hookup we have. I think Dish would be wise to sell the 722k and allow not activating the DVR. If it's in place, there's a very good chance the customer would activate it at some point..

the mack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 10, 2009
HOCKEYTOWN
I think the 222k is the greatest receiver.

That is only because you have never had a DVR. The seven dollar monthly charge to use it sucks, but still is well worth it.

Can't imagine having to be home and watching tv when my favorite shows air. I would end up missing most of them.

That being said, if it makes you happy it can't be that bad.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts