VIP612 creates DNS traffic

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aklarvanto

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
I was watching my DNS server traffic today, and with my 612 on the net, it is hitting a domain called "echo.dishaccess.tv" about 1500 times a day; this is without me doing anything other than normal TV watching. Does not matter if box is turned on or off.

DNS log reads:

--> Request from "my-IP-number" For A-record for echo.dishaccess.tv
--> Sending request to ns-2.echostar.com (205.172.146.21) for A-record for echo.dishaccess.tv
--> Reply from 205.172.146.21 about A-record for echo.dishaccess.tv
--> Sending reply to "my-IP-number" about A-record for echo.dishaccess.tv
--> Answer: A-record for echo.dishaccess.tv 8.7.94.55

And this goes on..and...on...about 1500 times every day, That's like hit every minute. If this is to make sure my box is connected to broadband, I just wonder how much unecesseary Internet traffic several million DVRs create every day.

Ok so I asked Dish about this and here is first reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
Reaching out to that domain is by design and we are researching the volume of traffic to determine if that too is by design. Once we have the results of the test I will contact you via email.

Second reply:

We are aware of the number of times our receiver is hitting that domain. Our engineering department is working on a code change to reduce that number, in addition to adding DNS caching to the device so that these queries are locally cached according to DNS TTLs (time to live).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts