VIP612 DVR recordings after canceling

nightowl66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
N.W. Ohio
I canceled my service. I still have recordings on the DVR. Doesn't look like I can access them now. I know in the past when I moved and didn't have a dish hooked up to the receiver I could still watch recordings, but since I canceled my service I can't access?
Not a big deal, just some movies. Any way to access them?

I know in the past when I moved and didn't have a dish hooked up to the receiver I could still watch recordings...
Did you still have the 612 on the dish when you cancelled? I fear a kill signal that I don't remember existing before...
Any way to access them?
These were recordings on the internal disk? How were you trying to view them? We need to know the exact failure mode.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The receiver was plugged in but not on when I canceled. When I select the dvr I get a message "This feature is currently unavailable. Contact customer service......"

The receiver was plugged in but not on when I canceled. When I select the dvr I get a message "This feature is currently unavailable. Contact customer service......"
Plugged in but not on equals on standby. If you had the coax to the dish hooked up to the back of your receiver you got the dreaded kill signal. Say goodbye to your recordings.

Say goodbye to your recordings.
I think you are right, but I don't remember Dish doing this in the past... My memory may be from a long time ago; I don't remember exactly.
Any way to access them?
If Dish killed the ability to access your disk using that 612, then if there is any chance at all to get these recordings back, it will be by accessing the internal disk from your PC. Do you own this 612 or did Dish tell you to keep it once you unsubscribed? They claimed to be throwing away my 612's, but I had carefully copied everything I wanted off onto an EHD beforehand.

I may be able to help you read the programs off that internal disk, depending upon which channel they came from. Long ago, the last time I tried this, there were no recordings on the internal disk that were encrypted. I believe subsequent to that time, Dish started encrypting programs from some channels.

Last edited:
I think you are right, but I don't remember Dish doing this in the past... My memory may be from a long time ago; I don't remember exactly.

If Dish killed the ability to access your disk using that 612, then if there is any chance at all to get these recordings back, it will be by accessing the internal disk from your PC. Do you own this 612 or did Dish tell you to keep it once you unsubscribed? They claimed to be throwing away my 612's, but I had carefully copied everything I wanted off onto an EHD beforehand.

I may be able to help you read the programs off that internal disk, depending upon which channel they came from. Long ago, the last time I did this, there were no recordings on the internal disk that were encrypted. I believe subsequent to that time, Dish started encrypting programs from some channels.
Dish told me to throw away/recycle both of my receivers. It's not a big deal if I can't access the recordings, just thought I'd try.

Plugged in but not on equals on standby. If you had the coax to the dish hooked up to the back of your receiver you got the dreaded kill signal. Say goodbye to your recordings.
So if we cancel DISH service with the coax disconnected from the Hopper you can play recordings from the internal hard drive?

Dish told me to throw away/recycle both of my receivers. It's not a big deal if I can't access the recordings, just thought I'd try.
Just curious, what was your other model receiver besides the 612? My parents have their DISH service on pause while they're trying out YouTube TV. They have a 722k and a 612. Hoping that if they cancel service soon they won't be required to fool with shipping those boxes back. I know for sure that the 722k has been defective for over a year (often won't let you watch a different live channel while recording something on one tuner, etc.). Can't really see why they'd want either box back, they're so outdated now.

Just curious, what was your other model receiver besides the 612? My parents have their DISH service on pause while they're trying out YouTube TV. They have a 722k and a 612. Hoping that if they cancel service soon they won't be required to fool with shipping those boxes back. I know for sure that the 722k has been defective for over a year (often won't let you watch a different live channel while recording something on one tuner, etc.). Can't really see why they'd want either box back, they're so outdated now.
They didn't want my 622 when I recently upgraded to an H3.I had an installer (he was there for a couple of issues ) take it with him.I sort of wished I could have taken it to my mom's house and replaced the 612 she has but for whatever reason Dish wouldn't allow it.At 98 she is past the point of learning a new gui etc.

The other one was a 722

Reactions: NashGuy
This is worth a try. Remove the internal disk, put it in a USB adapter, plug that into your PC, and run a program whose name escapes me at the moment. PVRExplorer Pro? I may have a copy stored on my NAS somewhere.

This is worth a try. Remove the internal disk, put it in a USB adapter, plug that into your PC, and run a program whose name escapes me at the moment. PVRExplorer Pro? I may have a copy stored on my NAS somewhere.
Often you have to boot the drive in the receiver then just unplug the data cable ( SATA) and connect an enabled (enable whatever SATA # that cable is plugged into) sata cable from the PC.

I pulled the hard drive..connected with a sata to USB but my laptop doesn't detect it. Also downloaded pvr explorer pro, when I run it I get a error that says " no pvr hdd found "
I can hear the hard drive start spinning when I have it plugged in so I know it is powered.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Also downloaded pvr explorer pro, when I run it I get a error that says " no pvr hdd found "
Well, nuts. My copy says it was last modified on August 15, 2006. I wonder if you got an older version that doesn't work for mpeg4 disks.

Are you running W10? I've had a lot of apps from W7 days that won't install or simply won't run correctly on W10.

Well, nuts. My copy says it was last modified on August 15, 2006. I wonder if you got an older version that doesn't work for mpeg4 disks.

Are you running W10? I've had a lot of apps from W7 days that won't install or simply won't run correctly on W10.

The version I downloaded was last updated 2015. I'm running windows 10 in the laptop I downloaded it on. I have another laptop with windows 11 I could try. Also a old laptop with 7.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The version I downloaded was last updated 2015. I'm running windows 10 in the laptop I downloaded it on. I have another laptop with windows 11 I could try. Also a old laptop with 7.
Given my aversion to W10 security, I recommend trying W7. Did you say it spins up automatically? If not, you need to get it spun up before it's recognized by Windows.

Given my aversion to W10 security, I recommend trying W7. Did you say it spins up automatically? If not, you need to get it spun up before it's recognized by Windows.
I am able to see the drive in disk management, but it doesn't show up under "my computer".
PVR Explorer pro doesn't see it either.
I can't get the drive to spin up until it is plugged into a usb port. I have a powered sata to usb adapter, but it wont spin until connected to my laptop. I tried using a powered usb hub, but that didn't work either. Unless the hub is bad. It is old. Tried on both Windows 7 & 10.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell