ViP622 5.1 DD Audio Problem

ClevelandRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I got a new AVR (Harman Kardon AVR247) recently and it has a problem with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio on the ViP622. All vocals and center channel sounds are quiet and "tinny". It sounds like people are in a can! I've confirmed it's not the A/V receiver as it plays PS3/Blu-ray and DVD superbly through optical, DigiCoax and HDMI. It's just with the 622. I never had a problem with my cheap Sony HTiB.

Anyone else heard of such a thing or have a solution. I've tried switching between Dolby Digital/PCM, both, etc. I've also used HDMI and Optical out. I'm really bummed about this.

Cheers.

I'm using an Onkyo receiver and have no problems using DD 5.1 via optical. Are you sure there isn't some sort of DSP or Pro Logic setting turned on for that input on your receiver?

I had a digital/optical audio problem with one of my 622s (in bed room). Did reset etc. I changed with 622 in family room and the audio to the amp then worked fine in bed room. Called Dish and of course the first the they said was do a reset on the non working digital audio 622, then "it had to be my amp".
I then told them about the change of machine placement I did and they finally agreed to send a new (rebuilt) 622 to replace the nonworking one. Now every thing is fine now with both boxes and both amps.

Last edited:
I am having this same issue, it is very annoying, it just started happening and i haven't changed anything with my setup which i have had for years. I have a 622 and a Denon receiver. I get the tinny center channel only sound during the new fall shows in DD then the commercials are normal again. If i change from DD to Direct or stereo i loose the tin center channel only sound, but otherwise it is unwatchable. Is calling dish to replace the unit the only fix for this? I hate calling them..

I am having this same issue, it is very annoying, it just started happening and i haven't changed anything with my setup which i have had for years. I have a 622 and a Denon receiver. I get the tinny center channel only sound during the new fall shows in DD then the commercials are normal again. If i change from DD to Direct or stereo i loose the tin center channel only sound, but otherwise it is unwatchable. Is calling dish to replace the unit the only fix for this? I hate calling them..

If it is only certain shows and not during the commercials it is not an equipment problem. Sounds like a local station problem to me.

I have been totally unsuccessful in getting optical out on my new 622 to work. Granted, I have an older, low end Kenwood receiver, but it has worked and will still work for optical out straight from the TV. And, it has the ability to decode Dolby Digital, Prologic 2, DTS, and DSP.

I have tried every setting in the 622 menu (Dolby Digital/PCM stuff) and Line/RF combos. No success. No sound at all.

I want to get the digital from the 622 because the HDMI throughput (622>HDMI>TV>Optical>amp) does not work. I have been told that my TV (Sharp LC-42D64U) will not pass digital sound from HDMI to optical.

So, getting digital sound for me has to come directly from 622 to the amp, and it is not working. I know the amp takes optical and it works, I can hook it to other devices using optical and it works.

When I plug the wire into the 622 I can visibly see the red light, so I know I have a physical connection and the signal is getting through (at least the carrier medium is getting through).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

There is a thread about some folks complaining Jay Leno is sounding like he is talking in a can.

Also, two days ago when Brian Williams and the Evening News was on NBC he was so soft (in stereo, no 5 channel on that screen) that I couldn't understand him but the commercials blasted me out of the chair.

Sounds like NBC has some ghosts in the machine. Could the new shows you were watching been NBC shows?

There is a thread about some folks complaining Jay Leno is sounding like he is talking in a can.

Also, two days ago when Brian Williams and the Evening News was on NBC he was so soft (in stereo, no 5 channel on that screen) that I couldn't understand him but the commercials blasted me out of the chair.

Sounds like NBC has some ghosts in the machine. Could the new shows you were watching been NBC shows?

No, it is on all channels. I called DISH and went through the steps. They are sending me a new 622. I hope this does it.

Thanks anyway!

When I personally used the HDMI and TOSlink ports via my surround system, it did not go very well for me. The TOSlink was a second or two delayed from the HDMI and component ports. Paying a few thousand dollars for the surround sound system, I took it back to the store and just left the HDMI port hooked up to my 71" HD television. I have a ground fault some place or the box is screwed up. I have no clue, I am not very well educated in this area. All I know, I payed top dollar for the best and did not get it. Instead of having a lovely threater surround sounding system in my living room, I am going with the system built within the TV.

No, it is on all channels. I called DISH and went through the steps. They are sending me a new 622. I hope this does it.

Thanks anyway!
Ok, got the new 622, optical audio out works and sounds great.....but -- 622 will not stop rebooting. Third one is on the way, but now I am without TV until next Wednesday. Thanks DISH. Luvya.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts