ViP622 L4.01 Update on Thursday (Again)

"You will be the determining factor whether this release will go to the general public. It is not beta software."

If it's not beta software and not yet released to the general public until it goes through further testing by selected users, I guess it must be "gamma" software!

Seriously, in my company this would still be considered beta software if it's still going through another level of testing before releasing to the general public.

In most companies this would be considered RC1(Release Candidate 1) after passing through alpha and beta tests.

I just got an email from Dish about testing L4.01. Be sure to check your junk mail for the email if you signed up.

One thing in the email to note is this:

L4.01 software will be sent to your ViP622 receiver very early Friday morning 3/23/07 (shortly after midnight).

For the Satelliteguys that joined the party here, the beta script mentions ordering PPV and VOD content. I would ignore those line items unless you were planning on ordering the content anyway because you will be charged for them.

Also, I posted this over on DBSTalk earlier today - you'll be getting the software tomorrow night at midnight, rather than tonight at midnight because the folks at Dish couldn't get all of the receiver numbers formatted and entered into the system in time this morning to make the software download window tonight. So, this group will take the download in tomorrow night's window.

That said, there is another group of normal users (somewhat less than the 100,000 that Scott speculated) that will be receiving L4.01 tonight after midnight. It's unlikely that if you're in the forums user group that you'll get it tonight, but it's remotely possible.

And whatever you do, if you find something wrong with the software, please follow the instructions you got in the email about reporting. Won't do any good to talk about on the boards if you don't first send in the bug report.

Oh and one more thing - the email says you will lose your VOD content. That's not your DVR recordings. Those should be fine and perfectly intact after the download. You will, however lose all of the selections under the Movies and More and TV Entertainment due to the changes in this software.

"And whatever you do, if you find something wrong with the software, please follow the instructions you got in the email about reporting. Won't do any good to talk about on the boards if you don't first send in the bug report."

Excellent point!

So, this means no L4.01 for us peons who didn't sign up for the beta? This is getting ridiculous after they said everyone would get it tomorrow, Thursday 22 March.
I don't understand why they can't just release the damn thing. It is out of Beta. The update with the features included have been planned for a good while now. They went and released the update for the 211. Why all this BS with it? This is nuts. I missed out on the signup and now who knows how much longer until this goes to me and the rest of the general public. I have never seen so much nonsense over an update that doesn't even really add a hell of a lot of new features anyway.

Jay

So, this means no L4.01 for us peons who didn't sign up for the beta? This is getting ridiculous after they said everyone would get it tomorrow, Thursday 22 March.
Welcome to the world of Dish :) .
HEY is anyone still waiting for the NBR for the 5xx that we were suppose to get 2+ years ago???? :D

jayiw said:
I don't understand why they can't just release the damn thing. It is out of Beta. The update with the features included have been planned for a good while now. They went and released the update for the 211. Why all this BS with it? This is nuts. I missed out on the signup and now who knows how much longer until this goes to me and the rest of the general public.
You guys are talking about software for your Dish receivers, right ??
jayiw said:
I have never seen so much nonsense over an update that doesn't even really add a hell of a lot of new features anyway.
Then why so upset that you missed out ?? :D

Well the email tells about the new features that will come with L4.01, but is there actually any fixes included, that a lot of receivers plagued? (Reboots, Pause bug, etc.)

For the Satelliteguys that joined the party here, the beta script mentions ordering PPV and VOD content. I would ignore those line items unless you were planning on ordering the content anyway because you will be charged for them.

Also, I posted this over on DBSTalk earlier today - you'll be getting the software tomorrow night at midnight, rather than tonight at midnight because the folks at Dish couldn't get all of the receiver numbers formatted and entered into the system in time this morning to make the software download window tonight. So, this group will take the download in tomorrow night's window.

That said, there is another group of normal users (somewhat less than the 100,000 that Scott speculated) that will be receiving L4.01 tonight after midnight. It's unlikely that if you're in the forums user group that you'll get it tonight, but it's remotely possible.

And whatever you do, if you find something wrong with the software, please follow the instructions you got in the email about reporting. Won't do any good to talk about on the boards if you don't first send in the bug report.

Oh and one more thing - the email says you will lose your VOD content. That's not your DVR recordings. Those should be fine and perfectly intact after the download. You will, however lose all of the selections under the Movies and More and TV Entertainment due to the changes in this software.

Well, no email here even though I sent my info last night. I guess I'm SOL? :mad:

Hmm well if you get the software update let me know and I will send you over the beta notes and information.

They could have just fat fingered your email address or something :)

What was the subject line of the e-mail? I also signed up last night, double-checked the info and have received no e-mail as of yet (checked my spam box as well). Has it been confirmed that all the e-mails have been sent?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts