VIP622 question

swalke2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
atlanta
Good Morning, I'm not sure how to title my post or really what to search for. If this has been discussed already can someone please direct me to the conversation.

I have a VIP622 HD DuoDVR. Currently the HD DuoDVR is connected to my upstairs living room TV (LCD)with the HDMI connector. I have a plasma in the basement that I would also like to have HDMI run to but with the current setup on the VIP622 it is only coax.

Is there some sort of box that I can connect the coax in the basement to that will upconvert and turn that signal into HDMI or do I have to have a whole new setup put in place? Will I get that much better of a picture by upconverting? The plasma is native 720p.

Thanks for your advice.
Steve

The TV2 output is SD only, forget that idea.

Two options.

1. Run HDMI to your plasma and connect living room to 622 via compoment. However, both TVs will be watching the same thing.

2. A separate tuner for independent viewing.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.
Watching the same thing is not an option (man cave needs its on signal)

Guess I need to look into a separate tuner.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.
Watching the same thing is not an option (man cave needs its on signal)

Guess I need to look into a separate tuner.

Look at the VIP211 which can become a DVR with an external hard drive. One time charge of $40 to activate feature. But, not compatible with 622.

I have both a 622 (typically used in the "Single" mode in one location so I can use the PiP function) and a 211 with external HDD that I use in my primary location. Everything said above is correct. The advantage of the 211 w/ EHD is that it has almost all the DVR functions and you can connect an unlimited number of drives to it (1 at a time) for unlimited capacity. It also has no additional monthly fee once you pay the 1-time $40 activation fee. The only disadvantage I have found is it has only the single sat. tuner (plus one OTA tuner), hence no watching one sat. program while recording another. The EHD max. capacity is at least 1TB. (Higher capacity ones might work as long as they are "single platter" types.)

So I highly recommend the 211 w/EHD as a DVR alternative. As noted however, you can't swap the EHD activated on a 211 to a 622 or vv...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)