ViP722 DVR-HD Problem

ryan.bro

Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
United States
I have a ViP722 DVR-HD that will skip to live TV whenever I pause the current live program I am watching. For example, I'm watching a football game, I pause the show to get something to drink, I come back 2 minutes later and hit play, and instead of continuing where I was in the show it skips right back to live TV. I have over 20 hours of HD recording time left so I wouldn't think it's a space issue. The DVR is about 3 years old (if memory serves correctly), as far as I know it's running the latest software version. Any possible explanation to what is causing this issue? Thanks for reading.

Welcome!! Could just be an operating glitch. Have you tried a power re-boot (unplug for 30 seconds)? If to no avail, could be a failing hard drive.

I have a ViP722 DVR-HD that will skip to live TV whenever I pause the current live program I am watching. For example, I'm watching a football game, I pause the show to get something to drink, I come back 2 minutes later and hit play, and instead of continuing where I was in the show it skips right back to live TV. I have over 20 hours of HD recording time left so I wouldn't think it's a space issue. The DVR is about 3 years old (if memory serves correctly), as far as I know it's running the latest software version. Any possible explanation to what is causing this issue? Thanks for reading.
If the hard reset doesn't work. Please send me a PM with your account information and I see about getting the receiver replaced for you. Thank you!

I've had the exact same problem over the last two weeks on my ViP722. It keeps jumping to Live TV.

Two weeks ago I was watching a program that had started about 20 minutes earlier at 7:00 and I had backed it up to the beginning - so I was behind, but everything was fine. Then right at 8:00 it suddenly started jumping to live TV. I would back it up but it wouldn't stay more than a few seconds, when it would jump to Live TV. Turns out at 8:00, I had another recording starting. I tried watching that, but it had the same behavior. So i think it has to do with having at least one recording operating and trying to watch some other program.

All the recordings were fine, and I could watch any recorded (and completed) program with no problems while the two recordings were going on. I just had to wait for the recording to finish before I could watch that.

I was chalking it up to a deteriorating disk, but since I can watch a recorded program off the disk just fine, I wasn't convinced. I have not systematically tried to pin down the behavior at this point to see whether it is consistent behavior (I guess I've been mostly watching live playoff games lately - Go Tigers!)

Anyway, if others are seeing similar behavior. maybe there's more to it.

Anyone else seeing this?

Ray

I have had wildly inaccurate skip/back/live problems with my new 722 ever since I got it over a month ago. I just attributed it to the Tivo lawsuit and how they had to change their DVR logic and just lived with it without saying anything.

I've had the same skip back problems, but it seems only on SD channels or recordings. Have you noticed whether it was on HD or SD channels exclusively?

Just now, I had an HD recording paused for about 15 minutes while I stepped away from my TV. When I came back, I hit play, and the recording started playing at a point that was around 2-3 minutes earlier in the recording. So it isn't just on SD content.

Welcome!! Could just be an operating glitch. Have you tried a power re-boot (unplug for 30 seconds)? If to no avail, could be a failing hard drive.
**AND** if its a failing drive ... you will want to get yourself an external hard drive to back up stuff too ASAP ... otherwise the next receiver's coming and you'll have nothing saved. ;)

EHD's (External Hard Drives) are fairly inexpensive considering all things.. 50 for a 1TB and 70 to 100 for a 2TB drive. Don't get anything larger than a 2TB drive as they aren't supported yet (if ever).

Also take a mental note of the number of recordings you have.. there's been issues with having too many shows on a drive and causing odd problems.. through its usually in the 900+ range..

I've presumed that it was the last "marker" that it laid for some form of chapter or playback index. why it was so far back, and why certain times you can trigger a DVR to jump back to some "same" certain point even though the time moves forward.. well ... that's the crux of the magic we call time slip recording.

It seemed to be at its worst when Tivo started pressing its suit, and Dish had to "do something" to make the DVR's non-infringing (their pov) on the Tivo idea/code/whatever. Since the suit was settled and the next update rolled out, I've not experienced a backup like the ones previously ... like when I was trying to deconstruct a scene in the movie Ronin .... and it would progressively jump back more and more time, but back to the exact same starting point .. e.g.: first time was 10 minutes back, then 15, 18, 21 mins.. etc..

It isn't just confined to time slip recording...it occurs on playing back recorded DVR events as well.

yup.. the ultimate time slip.. digitally recorded ... and played back.

content on the DVR isn't "finalized" like DVD or Bluray media .. while it does have a start / end .. the rest of the media is stored just like it was when it came in the first time. So even though you're playing something that was recorded 5 weeks ago, the output and the parts of the DVR that are handling playback are still the same as before.

thus the problem is somewhere in the buffer handling, the pointer management, major or minor time index points, etc.. that it can happen from recorded material would lead to suggest that its not the OTA tuner causing a muffle, or if it is, its doing it in some way to effect the show during replay ... also you would hope that these things happen at different times from one dvr to the next .. else again something in the signal is being recorded and causing it ..

It would take knowing how the stream is sent, are there any special timer/markers in the data stream to help align all dvrs all players, etc.. but this digresses from the simple fact it does happen, we've all seen it, those that haven't should hopefully have given room to the possibility that it does and has happened, rather than "doesn't ever happen, you're lying" kind of mentality.

I'm also one that's had it happen to HD content .... I can't really say its more to HD or SD content, because most of what I watch *is* HD. Rarely am I watching a non-hd station even in the premiums, I tend not to watch anything SD.

personal note and seriously an LOL moment for me.. I just looked at the guide to see some of the non-hd stuff.. and what do I find on EncrW/#341 ... Ronin in SD of which the first time I really had this annoyance (as above) it was during ronin.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)