ViP722 hooked up w/ a Dish500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Satellite Sucks

Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Northern California
Everything is working fine and hooked up correctly according to the user's manual. The problem i am having is when I change a channel to a HD channel it loses signal for a good 5 minutes and then gives me an error. I can only then get back a broadcast. I'm thinking it loses the signal because when I'm on an HD channel it's looking for that 129 satellite that the DISH500 i'm using doesn't pick up. I've spent a good portion the the day looking for a real manual for this ViP722 that actually tells me how to use it but to no avail. The user's guide is worthless in my opinion. I'd like to turn off all HD programming instead of going through hundreds of channels to lock all the HD channels... I could also be wrong about my approach to this problem. Please help me?... and anyone know how to get my hands on a actual technicians guide to a ViP722? :)

There's no technical guide. The justification for not having a technical guide is that they offer a free professional installation where they set you up with the correct dish and after that, there typically aren't many mysteries like the one you're experiencing.

The secret lies in using the appropriate dish and the DISH 500 alone is not it. You have correctly determined what the problem is (not able to see the 129W slot) an you'll be best served by correcting the problem with a DISH 1000.2. There may be an added benefit if you're using an old DISH 500 in that you may be able to go to a single cable hookup for your ViP722.

What you might try to get around having the wrong dish (as a temporary measure) is to create a custom channel list that doesn't include channels that come from 129W. This won't prevent punching in a "wrong channel", but it should prevent channeling up or down to a "wrong channel".

Wow... Thank you for being so helpful and quick. Your answer was exactly what i needed in order to keep me from pulling my hair out of my head. I have always been able to find the answer to any tech question within a reasonable amount of time until today... which has caused me to post a question on a forum (or in a forum) for the very first time in my life. And I've owned computers for over 25 years now... I feel vindicated! Thank you once again for all your help and to all who contribute.

Last edited:
A custom channel list is not the way to fix this, you shouldn't be getting errors to begin with.

Have you run a check switch so the system knows which sats you are looking at?

Press Menu-6-1-1 and run check switch from the point dish screen.

You're system will then know which dish is connected and give you the appropriate channel options.

Problem Solved

A custom channel list is not the way to fix this, you shouldn't be getting errors to begin with.

Have you run a check switch so the system knows which sats you are looking at?

Press Menu-6-1-1 and run check switch from the point dish screen.

You're system will then know which dish is connected and give you the appropriate channel options.

This worked! Thank you. I really did not want to customize my channel list. I have a dish1000 but did not see the point in climbing up 2 stories to swap it out when I don't subscribe to HD. Thanks again... now how do I change my user name?... is it even possible?... lol:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)