VIP722 internal hard drive

A good deal but likely a bad idea unless you own the box.

E should make all new receivers with plug in hard drives. they fail too much and RMAing boxes musty cost E a fortune

One thing about re-certified or refurb items is that each one gets personal attention from a technician, something that every new drive on a production line usually doesn't have now days.

I had no options other than a new drive as I own my VIP722 and the flaky Western Digital hard drive left me no option other than to get a new drive. The few drives that work are getting harder to find to when they are available, you have to act fast.

One hint is to unplug the unit when changing out the drive and then after you plug it in, wait about five minutes for it to do its thing. A "corrupt data" message appears and asks to reformat the drive. Click "yes" then the new drive is partitioned and formatted.

My 722 drive went out when we had a momentary power failure a couple of months ago. It was totally hosed. Everything else worked just fine. Dish replaced it free. It's now hooked up to power thru a surge protector.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I have never really understood why anyone would want to own their own Dish receivers and this hard drive issue (not to mention the frequent HDD failure rate mentioned) would seem to be yet another argument against it. I'm not saying it is a bad idea or anything and I'm sure there are good reasons, I just don't understand the logic.

Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I have never really understood why anyone would want to own their own Dish receivers and this hard drive issue (not to mention the frequent HDD failure rate mentioned) would seem to be yet another argument against it. I'm not saying it is a bad idea or anything and I'm sure there are good reasons, I just don't understand the logic.

abilty to upgrade hard driver size,
my 522s miraclously became 625s, no contract, no need to return any receivers, i sell my used ones. with E they charge you a non refundable upgrade fee, and lock you in a contract.

if you buy right, thats not retail pricing you can come close or even pay less for a receiver than the upgrade fee. e bay with caution or a friendly retailer

plus I enjoy upgrading rewiring replacing dishes etc. so no install visit needed. and no missing time from work waiting for the installer.

all of this helps keep up my knowledge and skills about satellite tv:)

if they make me lease I will no longer be a customer!

At the price I got my two receivers, I could easily sell them again on ebay to another guy like me, and actually make a profit. Zero or negative net cost in other words.

I own a 722k is it possible to put a bigger hard drive in it or no?

Don't know if it's possible or not but why would you even bother if you have a 722/722k/622/612 receiver? Yes you have to pay $40 to enable the external hard drive feature (not a big fan of that, but oh well) but you don't have to worry about voiding a warranty. You can just keep filling up external hard drives as much as you please as well and playback from them too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)