VIP722-NEED HELP- 1 receiver, three tvs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

camberin

Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I have a Dish Network VIP722 – I need help sharing the signal from TV1/TV2 to an additional third tv. I don’t know what all I would need to purchase or really how to go about doing this, so if someone could give me some info that would be great if this is even possible. Also, I do not have the option of running wires, I live in a condo and all wires for the satellite were pre-installed in the walls of my home. Would this be possible to do without running any more wires? I have enclosed pictures of the back of my receiver of what all is there currently, and also what is downstairs in my garage where all of the COAX from all TVS meet. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC06497.JPG
    DSC06497.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 1,402
  • DSC06498.JPG
    DSC06498.JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSC06499.JPG
    DSC06499.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 811
  • DSC06500.JPG
    DSC06500.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 2,238
  • DSC06501.JPG
    DSC06501.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC06505.JPG
    DSC06505.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 783
We are doing the same thing. I just have the coax from the TV2 out on the receiver going into a splitter where all the coax meets at the house, which then has two coax lines coming out of the splitter that goes to two bedrooms. All the coax was already in place so we just changed what things were connected to.
It would be much harder to share TV1 since that is an HD signal, but there are HD to coax adapters that might work.

ok that makes more sense.

so then down in the garage, i spit it from TV2 to where the third tv is?
offhand, what type of splitter would i need? 2ghz? do i need to change any settings with the receiver?

Yeah it can be done.

Easiest is to share TV2 to your third TV. You see that blue holland diplexer (the thing that looks like a splitter) in your picture?

In your garage where all the coax meets there should be another one. Get yourself a two way splitter and about a foot long coax jumper and take the VHF/UHF side of the diplexer and connect that to your foot long jumper, hook the other end to the IN side of the splitter, then connect the wire previously in the VHF/UHF side and connect that to a OUT leg of the splitter. Now have fun finding what other wire runs to your third location and connect that to the other OUT leg of the splitter.

If you want to share the TV1 side of your 722 you'll have to get yourself a couple of two way splitters, RF modulator and possibly a amplifier, it can be done.

ok that makes more sense.

so then down in the garage, i spit it from TV2 to where the third tv is?
offhand, what type of splitter would i need? 2ghz? do i need to change any settings with the receiver?

Just a normal splitter that can be had anywhere. I define a crappy splitter as one that you can push in the back of it with your thumb...

thanks, i appreciate the detail response, i appreciate all of the responses, i will be trying this out tomorrow. i'll let you know how it works. hopefully i dont blow up my house!

And remember that the other TV needs to be on the same TV channel as the other one. Mine is 71 or something.

this might be a dumb question, but downstairs now, when i plug in the cable i dont get signal (when i unplug TV2's wire from the diplexer and put in the wire that would connect TV3) when i tune to the correct channel. ( if i go in my satelite setup it is set to AIR at channel 60) It may be that it is an older tv which is why it might not be picking up the signal, but shouldnt it when i plug in the wire or will it only pick it up when i do the splitter?

this might be a dumb question, but downstairs now, when i plug in the cable i dont get signal (when i unplug TV2's wire from the diplexer and put in the wire that would connect TV3) when i tune to the correct channel. ( if i go in my satelite setup it is set to AIR at channel 60) It may be that it is an older tv which is why it might not be picking up the signal, but shouldnt it when i plug in the wire or will it only pick it up when i do the splitter?

Not dumb, but little confusing.

I assume your just trying to find which wire goes to the third tv for the time being by going into the basement and unhooking the VHF/UHF side, choosing other wires.

Try putting the tv into auto scan setup for AIR, if not possible switch it in the menu setup on the 722 to cable ch 73.

yeah thats what i'm doing, i'm pretty sure i found the correct wire but i wanted to make sure but couldnt pick up the signal. i'll try that now, i appreciate it!

We are doing the same thing. I just have the coax from the TV2 out on the receiver going into a splitter where all the coax meets at the house, which then has two coax lines coming out of the splitter that goes to two bedrooms. All the coax was already in place so we just changed what things were connected to.
It would be much harder to share TV1 since that is an HD signal, but there are HD to coax adapters that might work.
Actually getting Tuner1 on the 722 is really easy. There is a setting in the setup menus for the modulator (I believe you push menu, then 6-for System Setup, then 1-for Installation, then 5-for Modulator Setup) and it will allow you to output Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 via the Coax output (default for the 722 is for the modulator to be off). This will allow you to have both tuners on the Tvs feed from the coax.

We have most of our TVs setup so the see four tuners (2 from the 722 and 2 from the 625).

Hope that helps,
Geoff

I have a Dish Network VIP722 – I need help sharing the signal from TV1/TV2 to an additional third tv. I don’t know what all I would need to purchase or really how to go about doing this, so if someone could give me some info that would be great if this is even possible. Also, I do not have the option of running wires, I live in a condo and all wires for the satellite were pre-installed in the walls of my home. Would this be possible to do without running any more wires? I have enclosed pictures of the back of my receiver of what all is there currently, and also what is downstairs in my garage where all of the COAX from all TVS meet. Any help would be appreciated.

From the posts here I see everyone is very helpful. I am going to give a step by step guide.

Cabling
1. The final picture to post is of a diplexer (I am speaking of the diplexer that is not in the same room as the receiver) goto this diplexer
2. Locate the connection labeled VHF/UHF and disconect it (the cable that was just disconected was the TV2 cable)
3. Connect a short cable to the VHF/UHF connection
4. Connect Splitter to the other end of the short cable
5. Connect TV2 cable to the Splitter (now TV2 is back up and running)
6. Connect TV3 cable to the Splitter
7 Cabling is complete

Modulation Background
TVs can be set to Air or Cable modulation. An Air modulated TV can not be tunned to a channel over 69. A cable modulated TV can tune to channels over 73.
A. Cable TVs can be set in the TV menu to Cable or Air
B. Some old TVs are Air only
C. If one TV is set to Air and the other cable just because you set them both to channel 60 does not mean they will get the same signal

Modulation settings (For old Air only TVs easiest way is to set everything to Air)
1. On the receiver goto menu 6-1-5 and see what mode the receiver is on and change it to Air channel 60 ( you can also enable TV1 modulation to channel 58 if you like)
2. Goto TV 2 if TV 2 can goto channel 73 or higher enter the TV menu and change the TV to Air Mode
3. Tune TV2 to 60 and you have a picture ( also if you enable TV1 modulation you will have a picture on 58 as well)
4. If you cant tune the TV to the correct channel run a channel scan in the TVs menu.
5. Goto TV3 and repeat steps 2-4
6. Modulation Complete

thanks for all of the help! i got it all hooked up and it works fine. ended up buying a new tv too so it all works great! i wasnt sure to use AIR or CABLE but i have it set on AIR and its working, so that is a good thing!

only problem im having is i bought a universal remote for TV3 and it wont program for some reason, so i guess i'll end up just ordering one from dish network, but other than that everything worked great, thanks for all of the help!!!

You can also order remotes from eBay for less that from Dish. Remember to order the 6.3 replacement remote kit, that remote will control your receiver from another room. The kit also comes with the colored plastic tabs on the bottom of the remote and most importantly instructions on how to program it to the receiver and your tv.

Nope, TV1 and TV2 can be separate channels in dual mode, but what you are calling TV3 is just a copy of TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts