VIP722K: Compatible Ethernet Switches?

jaguarr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
USA
Hi Folks,
I've been trying to set up my Dish VIP722k receiver to network using my Airport Extreme in my office which is connected to my DSL router, bridged by an Airport Express in my media room with a older Linksys EZXS55W 4-port switch providing IP's via DHCP out to all of my components (PS3, A/V receiver). The problem I have encountered is that the Dish VIP722k receiver absolutely will not recognize this switch as providing a hot LAN connection at all and shows no activity on the LAN ports on the back of the Dish receiver unit. It will allow DHCP from my Airport Extreme to get to all my other components via the Airport Express in bridge mode, but the Dish 722 won't recognize it at all unless I connect the Express directly to the Dish VIP722k receiver and bypass my switch, at which point it starts recognizing the LAN and pulling an IP. So, I need to figure out what switches will work with the VIP722k receivers. I talked with the local guys who set up my receiver and they said that they'd heard that some switches work with the VIP722k and others do not, but they couldn't recommend a particular switch brand or model.

So, I'm wondering if any of you have a similar setup that you've gotten to work or have encountered issues with certain switches and might have established if a particular make/model of switch will work with the VIP722k. It seems these receivers are kind of particular about which switches they'll recognize. Many thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Cheers,
jag

Interesting. I have the same switch and I currently have no problems with it. I am not sure what this airport is but I can tell you that at one time I used a couple of Linksys 54g's running WRT to bridge my network from the router to the location where the receiver was. I could connect to the internet but the receive could not "hold" the connection for some reason. I even tried to use the PowerAV stuff (ethernet over AC power) and that had the same symptoms, just not as frequent. Once I hardlined the whole house, copper everywhere, all my problems went away. I am guessing that the Dish receivers have a very low tolerance of any type of latency.

Chances are your cable is not up to par or the Ethernet port on the ViP722K is dead.

Have you tried hooking up the PS3 or AVR cable up to the ViP722K?

Interesting. I have the same switch and I currently have no problems with it. I am not sure what this airport is but I can tell you that at one time I used a couple of Linksys 54g's running WRT to bridge my network from the router to the location where the receiver was. I could connect to the internet but the receive could not "hold" the connection for some reason. I even tried to use the PowerAV stuff (ethernet over AC power) and that had the same symptoms, just not as frequent. Once I hardlined the whole house, copper everywhere, all my problems went away. I am guessing that the Dish receivers have a very low tolerance of any type of latency.

Airport Extreme and Airport Express are wireless solutions from Apple. I wish I could hardwire the room my media gear is in, but it's simply not an option or I'd certainly do it (I've pulled my share of CAT5 in another life). There could be a latency issue. I have some network analyzing software someplace that I suppose I could throw on my laptop and then run through the switch to see if it's a major problem or not. Thanks for the thought.

jag

Chances are your cable is not up to par or the Ethernet port on the ViP722K is dead.

Have you tried hooking up the PS3 or AVR cable up to the ViP722K?

I should have elaborated that I have tried every cable with every networkable device that I have in that room, plus my laptop. Every single cable allows those devices to pull an IP via DHCP and connect to the network and internet through the switch. The only device that does not work through the switch is the VIP722K. As I said, it will show no activity in the LAN port on the receiver in this configuration, but as soon as I go directly from the Airport Express to the VIP722k it fires right up and starts pulling an IP and connecting to the network. The switch is the problem without a doubt. Thanks for making sure I'd covered my trouble-shooting bases, though. :up

jag

You might want to put a cheap d-link hub between the 722 and the bridge. I would get a 10/100.

I like this one because it looks a little AV. :)

Newegg.com - D-Link DES-1105 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 5 x RJ45 2K MAC Address Table 64KB Buffer Memory

Yep, that's along the lines of what I'm going to wind up having to try. The Linksys EZXS55W is basically a 5-port (one port is for uplink or to connect to the router, so it's really a 4-port) 10/100 switch, but I've already proven that it's not going to work with the 722. Given the comment from the installers that they'd heard some switches work with the 722 and some don't, I was hoping someone else had encountered this and found a make/model of switch/mini-hub that would definitely work with the 722.

jag

I have that exact D-Link on both of my 722 boxes. The one in the family room is hard wired all the way back to the internet router. The bedroom 722 connects to this and then to a linksys wrt54g running dd-wrt as a client bridge. I could have gone straight into the wrt54g, but I like the black /silver look of the dlink and hid the wireless (bridge).

Both work great.

Oh and when I bought my d-links, I got them for$1.97 plus shipping because of a killer d-link rebate. :D:D:D

I have that exact D-Link on both of my 722 boxes. The one in the family room is hard wired all the way back to the internet router. The bedroom 722 connects to this and then to a linksys wrt54g running dd-wrt as a client bridge. I could have gone straight into the wrt54g, but I like the black /silver look of the dlink and hid the wireless (bridge).

Both work great.

Oh and when I bought my d-links, I got them for$1.97 plus shipping because of a killer d-link rebate. :D:D:D

Thanks, Vader. Good to know they work just fine for you. $1.97 is insane, too. I'm thinking I'm going to locate a switch locally in case it doesn't work and I want to return it, though. Much less hassle than dealing with shipping, even though I know I could get it much cheaper off the net.

jag

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts