VIP722K to Hopper Duo Questions

Sooznd

Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
Colorado
My VIP 722K has been losing signal the past two weeks. Dish suggested I upgrade to a Hopper Duo since I really watch only one TV and the other one is mainly for Netflix.

Will I lose any functionality by switching to the Hopper Duo?

I have a sling adapter now on the old receiver so I can access Dish Anywhere on my iPad. Was told the sling is already included with the Hopper Duo. It seems both have the same storage for recording.

My VIP 722K has been losing signal the past two weeks. Dish suggested I upgrade to a Hopper Duo since I really watch only one TV and the other one is mainly for Netflix.

Will I lose any functionality by switching to the Hopper Duo?

I have a sling adapter now on the old receiver so I can access Dish Anywhere on my iPad. Was told the sling is already included with the Hopper Duo. It seems both have the same storage for recording.

Hopper Duo does not have built in Sling adapter. I don't know if anybody has ever tried using an external Sling Adapter with a Duo.

Edited to correct facts. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Hopper Duo does not have built in Sling or WiFi adapters. I don't know if anybody has ever tried using an external Sling Adapter with a Duo but a Dish WiFi adapter should work.
Duo does have built in WiFi adapter. You sure you're not thinking of Wallys? Mydish.com says the Duo works with DA, but I'm thinking it doesn't have Sling built in

Duo does have built in WiFi adapter. You sure you're not thinking of Wallys? Mydish.com says the Duo works with DA, but I'm thinking it doesn't have Sling built in

We put in so few Duo's that I forgot it had WiFi, duh again.

Dish must have changed their qualification criteria recently because almost everybody lately has been getting a free Hopper 3. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
We put in so few Duo's that I forgot it had WiFi, duh again.

Dish must have changed their qualification criteria recently because almost everybody lately has been getting a free Hopper 3. :)
Not in Columbus.... smh. In 3 weeks, we (I'm training a new guy) have put in 1 Hopper 3, but 7 Hopper 2K's where normally I might do 2-3 a year back home and more Super Joeys than I care to count

My concern is that I will no longer have access to Dish Anywhere when traveling using my iPad if there is no sling adapter. Maybe there is WiFi technology that has the same function? It does have internet since they said it has access to Netflix which I don’t really need since I have a Roku.

I don't know anything about dish anywhere I don't use that other than other than I used to use the dish anywhere app to set timers on my 722 when I had it but that doesn't work on the duo. Still the duo is a much better box but maybe you want a regular Hopper 3.

I just read through the specs for the Hopper Duo and the H3 on the Dish website.

The Hopper 3 specifically says it does Dish Anywhere, the Hopper Duo says it does "On Demand TV from your phone, tablet, and computer."

Reactions: Sooznd
The Duo is way better, do it, you won't regret it.

In what way is it better then my VIP722K? Dish has now confirmed it has no internal sling nor can I attach my existing sling adapter to it. I will lose the ability to watch my recorded programs remotely. I have cancelled my order for the Hopper Duo and will keep my VIP722K since it seem my signal issues were weather related not due to the older receiver. I am very disappointed with Dish Network after having been misinformed by at least 3 of their customer support people.
Been with Dish over 15 years and have always recommended it to people over the competition.

In what way is it better then my VIP722K? Dish has now confirmed it has no internal sling nor can I attach my existing sling adapter to it. I will lose the ability to watch my recorded programs remotely. I have cancelled my order for the Hopper Duo and will keep my VIP722K since it seem my signal issues were weather related not due to the older receiver. I am very disappointed with Dish Network after having been misinformed by at least 3 of their customer support people.
Been with Dish over 15 years and have always recommended it to people over the competition.

According to the Dish website the Hopper Dou supports Dish Anywhere, Dish Anywhere is the equivalent of having the Sling adapter for the 722K. Don't get hung up on the name Sling, just determine if it provides the needed functionality, Dish AnyWhere provide the functionality of watching via the web.

According to the Dish website the Hopper Dou supports Dish Anywhere, Dish Anywhere is the equivalent of having the Sling adapter for the 722K. Don't get hung up on the name Sling, just determine if it provides the needed functionality, Dish AnyWhere provide the functionality of watching via the web.

Dish also considers Dish Anywhere access to be the ability to access your timers and On-Demand.

I don't think the Duo can Sling audio and video from the receiver and according to Dish they can't but the only real way we'll find out is if somebody with a Duo on their account tries it. :)

Here you go, directly from the tech portal.
Screenshot_20190315-153335.jpeg

Our 722K died last Saturday. We were offered the Hopper Duo as an upgrade, but were told we'd need a Joey for our SD TV 2. The rep said it would be an extra $10 per month on our bill. We are still at $7.00 for the 722K DVR service and I didn't want the added cost, so I opted for the 722K.

I knew we would get a refurbished unit, which we did. The rep said once the reman replacements were gone, there would be no other option but the Hopper Duo. Dish did not want my dead 722K back.

Oddly, the reman 722K has a different software version than our dead one did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)