VIP922 - worth the upgrade from VIP722?

you can't really pick DO/DRA as a deal buster for the 922, because there are plenty of people that are having DO/DRA problems with 722's (k or non) and the SlingAdapter. Those problems are primarily Dish, and their failure to properly disclose the issue, or track it publicly with any type of "investigation report".

My main digs against the 922 have always been the added cost (now for some zero) the "drive full" issues that may have *finally* been addressed in a software update, which we all pretty much knew it was software, the amount of arrowing to get to any function in the menus .... and lastly the "premium" gets you nothing much more than you can get with the 722k.

That any of dish's receivers do their primary job, can't be a qualifier.. tell me who in their right mind would keep a dish receiver if it couldn't receive dish sigs? And that's often what I've said dish does best (until that satellite mishap last month) that Dish delivers 250+ channels fairly reliably 24/7/365, its all their ancillary offerings that show their worst sides.

Can someone answer my question over the "no Dish Pass" comment on the 922? :) What does that mean, and how do global timers work on the 922? (ie. setting up a timer searching for keywords in the description for all channels)

Well I finally upgraded to a 722k...from a 922. Yay! :D
It sure was an upgrade to me last November when I went back to a 722k. MOST if not all new things that come down the line come to the 722/722k series of dvrs before if EVER to the 922. The Blockbuster movie pass is just one of them.

I think the search options on the 922 are pretty awesome. You can search my actor, title, genre, etc... I think the 922 is great other than the added costs. I don't use the sling part often but when I do it seems to work just fine. Any sling problems I have are usually because of my internet.

What about the remote? I use just an IR repeater system, so ultimately does it use the same codes as the 722? Accessing menu, dvr, etc. Any input on that?

Thanks all for the input. I will check out the other thread as well!
The 922 uses the same IR codes as the other VIP receivers. My universal remote just worked (had a 612 before the upgrade last week). The only change I made was to add the (red) Jump button. You can't learn from the receiver's remote (RF only), but found the codes I needed on RemoteCentral.com.

You can NOT use the receiver's remote via an IR repeater since it's RF only but should work through walls without a repeater.

You are the exception not the rule!.... Just look at all the problems the 922 has had from the begining, and even as of today there "Cadillac" reciver dosent support BBMP... Dont even get me started on the Sling part!!!
I've had mine a week and the only lock-ups have been due to the flakey Dish Online. The Dish Remote Access site works much better for streaming content. I have yet to need to hard reset (pull the power).

Yes, we all know there are things that this "top end" receiver can't do that the 722/722k can and that's frustrating. But I feel the 922 is a step up (especially from my 612) and have hope they'll "finish" the functionality. We've all certainly made enough noise about it for Dish to get the idea.

For those that miss Dish Pass timers, use Dish Remote Access (dish.sling.com). I know it's not on the receiver but it does work.

I played a bit with manual timers. They don't work out of the box but once they are in the receiver, you can manually unskip the events they create. Yes, lots of work. I'm not convinced it's a complete solution but it's closer than not having any thing resembling a manual timer.

Can someone answer my question over the "no Dish Pass" comment on the 922? :) What does that mean, and how do global timers work on the 922? (ie. setting up a timer searching for keywords in the description for all channels)
There is no user interface to create Dish Pass (aka "all channels") timers on the 922. However, you can create them via Dish Remote Access (dish.sling.com) and they do work. They can also be edited on the receive once created.

Note Dish Online does not show Dish Pass timers.

Well all, thanks for the input. My 722 took a dive after 4 years. Got the "hard drive failure". No fixing it. Lost everything. Going with the upgrade to a 922 for free. Ill provide feedback after my installation Tuesday.

Well all, thanks for the input. My 722 took a dive after 4 years. Got the "hard drive failure". No fixing it. Lost everything. Going with the upgrade to a 922 for free. Ill provide feedback after my installation Tuesday.

Interesting. Last I heard, they weren't shipping any ViP922s until BBMP was fixed. Is this a DIRT fix, or are they shipping again, or did they just make an exception for you? Of course, it's not Tuesday yet.....

I've been in contact with a rep in executive relations. DIRT team members are very helpful, but I've always used this one rep.

I also did get the confirmation email from them when he made the appointment on my account. Ill update this thread once its installed. Also, I'll double check with the tech about the issue you guys mentioned.

More to come....

Alright, the installation has been completed. I talked to the installer for some of the concerns other posters have had.

1. The installer said Dish never "quit" selling the 922. He wasn't thrilled about it and said the 722's are still the better box.
2. He wasn't sure about the BBMP issue, but he mentioned there was a recent firmware update (supposedly my receiver had gotten during setup today).
3. I was able to obtain the receiver through executive relations (ceo@dishnetwork.com)

After the installer left, I found that the receiver works great so far. The interface is has a cool factor to it. Very easy to use (as is the 722).

Alright, the installation has been completed. I talked to the installer for some of the concerns other posters have had.

2. He wasn't sure about the BBMP issue, but he mentioned there was a recent firmware update (supposedly my receiver had gotten during setup today).

krauser -- what version of firmware do you have on your 922?

1. The installer said Dish never "quit" selling the 922. He wasn't thrilled about it and said the 722's are still the better box.

DISH Network has not stopped selling the ViP922, as the purchase option has been and will continue to be an available but the upgrade option for this reciever has been removed from CSR's. The ViP722 is an award winning receiver but I do like my ViP922!

There is no firmware update that has been released for the BBMP on the ViP922 yet.

3. I was able to obtain the receiver through executive relations (ceo@dishnetwork.com)
After the installer left, I found that the receiver works great so far. The interface is has a cool factor to it. Very easy to use (as is the 722).

did they ever release any training on installing 922, I installed several but the first one was hey go install this new receiver and hook into his computer and figure it out.

maryb@Dish Network said:
DISH Network has not stopped selling the ViP922, as the purchase option has been and will continue to be an available but the upgrade option for this reciever has been removed from CSR's. The ViP722 is an award winning receiver but I do like my ViP922!

There is no firmware update that has been released for the BBMP on the ViP922 yet.

Mary, I do indeed like the receiver! However, the I've noticed that when my HDMI out is set to 1080i or 720p to my tv, that I will randomly get little scattered snowflakes. Its strange. Changing to 480p eliminates it, but of course doesn't show full HD. Are there any known issues with this?

A simple unplug reset works, but I've done it twice now. Just want to make sure this isn't going to be an on going problem.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts