ViP922's no longer for sale.

I gotta say that the only thing that bugs me about my 922 is that blue turbo hd light. Wish it could be turned off,its to bright.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using satelliteguys.

I think that the 922 has a little bit of an unwarranted negative stigma going for it due to the 722 being cheaper, plus the 922 software was totally rewritten as opposed to the 722 just being an enhanced version of the old DVR 625/522/512. So the 922 had a lot more bugs in the beginning, but by now the 922 is probably a decent receiver for what it is. It had the unfortunate fate of discontinuation due to the 722 being cheaper and the Hopper has phased out the 922. Adding built-in Sling to the Hopper was just the final nail in the coffin. 722k and 922 have almost the exact same hardware so for the most part that rules out poor hardware design in regards to the 922.

It reminds me much of Windows Vista's fate. XP was already matured by many years by the time Vista was released. Since Vista was basically totally rewritten, it suffered from quite a few early-adopter issues, just like the 922. By the time Vista matured it also suffered the same fate as the 922 in that Windows 7 was released and is even better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I gotta say that the only thing that bugs me about my 922 is that blue turbo hd light. Wish it could be turned off,its to bright.

Electrical tape ;) .

Guys, I don't know what to tell you butt I tried to make the 922 receiver work for me. I was told by dish CSR that they had a problem with the power cord. With that being said if you have a good one you better hope you do not have too go into the Refurb mode. Then your dealing with everyone else problems. I think I started with at least two new one's.

I thought of electrical tape but it cheapens the look. Lol

922 sure is fancy looking but one of the things I really like about Hopper is the minimalistic look with only two small lights. Even my 722k looks a lot more busy on the front panel in comparison to Hopper. It has a big blue "HDTV" light that's probably as bright as the 922's "TurboHD" light.

To be honest, the main reasons i upgraded to the 922 was the built in sling,which i use at work at nite on my android phone. And the fact that the 922 matches the look of my a/v equipment compared to my 622 with that ugly silver color.

To be honest, the main reasons i upgraded to the 922 was the built in sling,which i use at work at nite on my android phone. And the fact that the 922 matches the look of my a/v equipment compared to my 622 with that ugly silver color.

Gotta agree, the silver color of the 622 just screams "OLD!"

Seems strange that the other person had 5? 922's and each had the same problems,gotta be something else to explain that problem, or just bad luck?

I guess we have too look at this is how much do you like change! My wife reminds me how much she dislikes change. Sometimes upgrade is not always better. I thought I would never live out my 922 change with the wife! Still I look at the Hopper, but what the hell else is news.

PS: Going back to the older receiver cured my problem. So I don't think it was my home system.

Last edited:
I guess we have too look at this is how much do you like change! My wife reminds me how much she dislikes change. Sometimes upgrade is not always better. I thought I would never live out my 922 change with the wife! Still I look at the Hopper, but what the hell else is news.

Except the Hopper actually works well.

You know! I have heard of many subscribers having a good 922 receiver. I guess that is why I stayed with it for so long. But unless all the defects were coming from one area, I don't know what to tell everyone! My receivers would only stay working for about two weeks. Then the screen lockups and sound problems would start. Why I had too go through 5 receivers and have the same problem is anybody's guess. But still paying for being under upgrade contract. If customers would have bought these receivers at local retail we would have got our money back! Needless to say it's a safe bet for dish.

My first one lasted six weeks, the replacement two days, I am now waiting for the replacement for the replacement and it will be the LAST one!

I tell you they have a problem. My five lasted from two weeks two months. They were unwatchable type problems also. They all started out working great and then freeze ups etc. Moved the receiver all over the house to see if it was the system. Had tech's out and got a replacement every time. But they still would not stay working.

Seems strange that the other person had 5? 922's and each had the same problems,gotta be something else to explain that problem, or just bad luck?

Just over 2 years on my 3rd...So you pay more and the hassle comes for free?

Reminds me of the 721 I had which was not a mainstream receiver. They made me upgrade it to a leased 522.

I loved the 721. Every single one of them that came thru my home. 5? 6? 7? Don't remember exactly.

I believe it was the first with the preview feature in the guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts