Virgin Islands? Networks?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Did I read the list correctly, that with a FTA system you can get NBC from the Virgin Islands, and other "local" UPN/WB and such stations from across theUS? I think I am going to order a motorized system from Saudon tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

whoa...hold on there kimosabe

The Virgin Islands stuff is C-band, so you need a 6 foot dish to pick them up.

The stuff on Galaxy 10 is KU and yes you can pick that up with a 30" dish or greater :)

When you check Lyngsat, check the frequency
4 digit- C-Band (big dish)
5 digit- KU Band (30" dish)

I don't believe VI is available now - not sure about that radio station that was
on for a long time.
On just one satellite, KU band- 123 degrees - you can get ABC, FOX, UPN,
WB, Telemundo, and some other stuff right now. I would hope it stays for a
year or three before D* or E* buys and demolishes their company.
I would currently recommend Sadoun.

Peter
There is a mux on C-Band that is ABC, NBC, WB/UPN and CBS in the VI. The big 3 are just translators of the NY stations (with news edited out).

WVGN was on AMC4 for a while, then moved to G10 (with the rest of the above mux) then they moved it to C-Band :(

mux-group of channels

yep. That mux moved to C-band due to the weather in the VI :(

We had CBS/ABC/UPN and then NBC was added at the end

Tron
WVGN when it was on AMC4 was tough to get but the G10 mux came in booming (75-80 on my Pansat)

sadly its C-Band now :(

so who makes the decision as to what satellite carries what channels? The people who run the satellites? Stations decide to contract out and allow their stations to be broadcast? Why does T5 have so many more channels? Because they are dedicated to mostly Ku?

Program providers buy (rent, actually) transponders on the satellites to uplink their content to various entities (either broadcasters, cable TV companies, or individuals). Most FTA channels out there aren't meant for individuals, but rather other companies such as cable and broadcasters. We are just "eavesdropping" on those transmissions.

IA-5 is an exception, most of that content is meant for Globecast subscribers, usually people from other countries who live here in the US to avoid persecution in their homeland or who are here on business. They can receive TV from their homeland this way.

The Virgin Island stations were on ku-band, now c-band, to distribute the signals to cable systems.

Or to satellite providers. Actually only the CBS & NBC channels were in the Virgin Islands. The other two, ABC and WB/UPN were in Puerto Rico, and they're carried on Dish Network on the Puerto Rico spot beam and also on Direct TV's Latin America service.

Those stations were pretty interesting. They didn't really have any local programming, but plenty of local ads. The ABC also relayed the WABC New York news, and the NBC had WNBC New York local news.

the CBS station use to have really long screen shots of their station (during commercial breaks)

The "CBS17 Virgin Islands" logo :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)