Virtual Joey

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
Is anybody using it? The number of posts on it is really low. I just got an LG TV and installed the app and I am trying it out. It seems a little slow compared to the joey. I am also trying to figure out how to get the app to launch automatically when I turn the TV on. Any suggestions? Any other thoughts about the Virtual Joey from those that are using it?

The speed of it is based on the network you are connected to. If your TV is connected to a 10MB hub don't expect it to fly. :) All the processing and generation of everything is done by the hopper itself, the LG TV is just acting as a media player.

Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way to have the app start automatically. :(

When I talked to a Dish rep at Team Summit the year they fist showed off the Virtual Joey I asked about having to manually load the app every time. He mentioned something about it loading automatically after using the app so many times. He made it sound like it would learn that you are using the app every time you turn on the TV so it would start loading the app automatically. I'm not sure if that is even possible but I do remember asking about it.

Is there a HDMI cec style feature? Like when you hit Sat, it loads up, similar to hitting sat and tuning to the input on a hard Joey currently?

Does the VJ (snickers) use up the sling stream? Meaning, if the VJ is in use, I can't stream to a tablet or phone?

No, I don't believe it is using Sling technology at all. I believe you can use the VJ (inappropriate giggle) at the same time using a Sling device.

It works as a network pass through similar in fashion to a WJ or if someone connects the wifi adapter to Joey. Difference is, it an app, instead of hard equipment. Sling is an actual stream service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts