Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus

Update:

All HDD type units will be supported by the next factory firmware release. This should be available in the next week.
cool. Might have to get a new hard drive. but I'll proabbly get a smaller drive. that 320GB one was bigger than the receiver :eek:

To clarify: programming will play back on the receiver as one program irregardless of the length of recording. The split files are only an issue if ripping or viewing the file with an external player. Many software applications will stitch multiple files together for single file formatting and playback. We have also requested to see if the individual file size could be increased to the maximum FAT32 format.
interesting. I heard there is an upgrade soon to allow it to go up to 4 hours or more

Additional satellites and transponders will be added in the next release for viewing satellite serving North America from the Atlantic and Europe.
sweet...Is there any way to delete satellites from the list? i never did find that

well I went tonite and got a new Western Digital 320GB HDD

Got it home, hooked it up and the receiver took it instantly..Formatted the drive which took maybe 10 seconds and now we have 319GB of space :)

Only thing is when I hit record it still shows "1:00:00" like that the max...gonna record some stuff and see what happens :)

Well, with 300gb of free space, I assume that's roughly 300 hours of recording.
You give us a call when it -doesn't- say it's got an hour of free space! :eek:

that'd be a -lot- of games !

yep...I did a "set it and forget it" on a channel to see how long it will record.....I might just reload the factory software on it again to clean it of the USB thing :)

I found a workaround for that...either set a timer or after pressing record, press it again and that kicks you into a menu like a "one touch recording" like the old VCR's had where you can change it up to 2 hours :)

New Factory firmware is being released next week that will set default for the record button for two hour recording. Any record time up to 24 hours can be set by setting the record duration timer stop time.

To prevent the channel name from being repeated on new channels with no provided service name, set the Channel Name menu option to OFF. Explaination: The factory default setting is set to name the channel with the Long Name, which reads the channel name from the Network Table. If the Network Table does not have a name associated with the PID found, the receiver places the name of the previous channel on the found channel.

New Factory firmware is being released next week that will set default for the record button for two hour recording. Any record time up to 24 hours can be set by setting the record duration timer stop time.
sweeeeeet :)

To prevent the channel name from being repeated on new channels with no provided service name, set the Channel Name menu option to OFF. Explaination: The factory default setting is set to name the channel with the Long Name, which reads the channel name from the Network Table. If the Network Table does not have a name associated with the PID found, the receiver places the name of the previous channel on the found channel.

I don't see that option on the channel options. I'll have to look again

Another option is to use an external 2.5" laptop hard drive.

Advantages; Small, energy efficient, draws power from USB jack (no AC wall wort or brick).

Disadvantages; More expensive, lower capacity limits (currently 250 Gb maximum)

If your A/V rack is short on space this option should be considered. You can buy a laptop drive, external USB case and DIY or buy one already built. I built one of these as a backup harddrive for my laptop. The external drive is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

If anyone is interested I can provide more information on what or where to buy.

TRG -

All true and good points.
Many of the available off-the-shelf USB drives do contain 2.5 inch laptop drives.
Their modest noise (almost silent) and lower heat output, are major advantages.

I have a number of little 40, 60, and 80gb Western Digital units, from when they went on clearance a few months ago.
(I actually got them so I could salvage the drives for some old laptops I was working on) :cool:

I gave this receiver a close look and came to the following conclusion. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the USB was re-located or an additional port added to the rear panel. Having to leave the front access door open all the time and a cable dangling from the front is unacceptable to me.

mod for USB rear entry

I'd put the flash upgrades way ahead of where a connector was mounted.
Without the expected updates to the operation, the USB drive wouldn't really meet my needs.

HOWEVER, given that the upgrades seem to be on the way, here's how I'd handle the USB port.
...if it really bothered me... and it might: :cool:

To avoid defacing the rear panel of some of my other equipment, I've found it possible to drop flat cables out through existing bottom vent holes.
They were then terminated with RJ45 connectors and rubber snag-boots.

Without having one of these receivers at hand, one can only speculate, but...
I suspect a 5' or 6' commercial USB cable (from the 99¢ store) could be cut in half.
The bare end could be snaked through bottom a vent hole near the front of the receiver.
Secure the cable with a nylon tie-wrap through holes toward the rear of the unit.
Inside, there might be an un-mounted rear USB connector location on the printed circuit board.
There might be a test header on the board, or pads for one.
As a last resort, I'd strip the cable and tack solder the connections to the bottom of the PC board at the front USB connector.

The above description is not meant to be a step-by-step procedure.
It's just a suggestion for someone who has years of experience with electronics.
Such modifications to new equipment will render the warranty null and void.
Your mileage may vary.
Proceed at your own risk.
Not valid with any other offer.
See fine print for additional restrictions.

I gave this receiver a close look and came to the following conclusion. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if the USB was re-located or an additional port added to the rear panel. Having to leave the front access door open all the time and a cable dangling from the front is unacceptable to me.

you might want a Conaxsat Duo then, Port in back and one in front behind an access door.
Or a coolsat 7000,port is in the back. (Visionsat is pretty much a 7000 without the built in buffer)

getting to the point

I suspect a 5' or 6' commercial USB cable (from the 99¢ store) could be cut in half.
The bare end could be snaked through a bottom vent hole near the front of the receiver.
... I'd strip the cable and tack solder the connections to the bottom of the PC board at the front USB connector.
...hrmmm... that's what I get for being too wordy. :D

guess I should read more...I dont want to rip open the box to do that. Like I say it doesn't bother me :)

eh, it don't bother me where the USB port is :)
I could probably put up with it myself but the little woman on the other hand... I pick my battles and I'm working on a 10' C band dish. If I get away with that one anything is possible.:D