Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus

Man this receiver is awesome! One question....how long do they keep support up for these boxes before they abandon ship and jump on a new one? In other words....how long will I be able to enjoy my box before I have to upgrade?

The receiver factory firmware has had several revisions, so the excellent factory firmware that you are now enjoying should continue to provide reliable operation in the reception of standard definition free to air programming!

Man this receiver is awesome! One question....how long do they keep support up for these boxes before they abandon ship and jump on a new one? In other words....how long will I be able to enjoy my box before I have to upgrade?

Eureka!! It does a Re-synch, Shift, Re-align all Sats via DISEqC

Well, I got it to do a Re-synch, Shift, Re-align of all Sats via DISEqC! Hope this helps someone to not have to go through what I did! And feel free to use this info in any form or post in any Forum.

(Menu locations cited are from Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus, Firmware V1.45)

A) Using the receiver, move the dish to any stored satellite position. Select one that you know the general direction where the dish must be pointed to receive it. If possible, also select a channel on that satellite that is easy to lock onto...this helps find the satellite when scanning for it in the next step.

B) Look at dish to determine which direction the dish needs to move to receive the selected satellite. Then use the "Move" then "Fine Move" commands to rotate the dish to that satellite's location, fine tuning for best signal.
(Path = "Installation"\"Positioner Setting"\"Move" and "Fine Move")

C) On the same submenu, move down to the "Positioner Command" line. Using the Right or Left arrow, scroll to "(Re-)Calculate", then press the "OK" button. This sends the signal to the positioner/motor to shift the original (stored) position to the new position. ALL the other satellite positions are also changed.
(Path = "Installation"\"Positioner Setting"\"Positioner Commands"\"(Re-) Calculate", then "OK")

Ciao,

C4Net

drive size:

Since this thread was tickled recently, I thought I'd add a bit more to the story.

For a ...year (?) I've used a Maxtor 500gb external drive.
Interface is USB 2.0, only.
The styling is that of a small, thick, black book, and it stands upright.
It's worked fine.

Recently, I got a deal on a closeout 750gb Western Digital Elements external USB drive.
The package is a sand-blasted anodized aluminum (?) case, with clear silicone endcaps.
Two weeks of running, and I've not noticed any difference.

With both drives, they run just warm in normal service.
I connect 'em to my computer, then edit shows with VideoReDo, and turn into DVDs (generally using DVD Labs, but VRD can do it, too).

The 500 and 750gb drives are based on 3½ inch drive mechanisms.
Each is provided with a small external power supply.
I've also used several old models in the Western Digital Passport family: 40gb, 60gb, & 80gb.
These are based on 2½ inch laptop drives and runs on power from the USB connector.
All worked fine, so long as they are formatted in FAT32 and not NTFS.

It's my belief the receiver can handle up to a 1tb (1000gb) hard drive.
Probably a shocker to guys who use 4gb or 8gb thumb drives. :rolleyes:

Ok, I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. I just won a new Visionsat IV2000 from ebay. It doesn't mention anything about being a IV2000 Plus. Was there 2 different models of these. Is there a difference? I got it with an offer of $80 w/free shipping. They had more than 10 available with a buy it now of $89.99 or make an offer.

Thank's Ice, I appreciate the quick reply. I was worried that I might have bought the wrong one. That's a relief.

Ok, I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. I just won a new Visionsat IV2000 from ebay. It doesn't mention anything about being a IV2000 Plus. Was there 2 different models of these. Is there a difference? I got it with an offer of $80 w/free shipping. They had more than 10 available with a buy it now of $89.99 or make an offer.

This is so funny. I thought I was reading my own post that I had not typed yet! :D I just presented an offer of $81 to him and hopefully it will be accepted. I am also looking forward to setting this up.

My only question is the .bin files. I keep reading about these bin files and firmware upgrades. Will it be necessary for me to upgrade the box when I receive it? I am worried about upgrading it to a certain bin that may introduce more issues than it fixes, which seems to be the case according to some posts. Once I get the box running with channels locked in, do I really have to keep upgrading the firmware?

I had a link bookmarked for visionsat's website. It doesn't work anymore does anyone have a new site for factory firmware from them?

do I really have to keep upgrading the firmware?
The short answer is that you should probably update to the latest factory firmware when you get the box. After that, as long as you are happy with the function of the box and they don't release a fix for something that you need then you have no reason to update the firmware.

Updating the visionsat firmware with a usb stick is really easy though.

Thanks joe,
Where do I obtain the latest or last few fixes & instructions to apply it from since their website has been down for a while now.

Thanks.

Great review. I read some earlier discussion about timers. Any thoughts on whether this is one of the better receivers for setting timers? I'm considering picking up a Fortec Dynamic, but being able to set a good number of timers with flexibility for the recurring days is important so maybe this is the better choice for a few more dollars.

I have a DVR/DVD recorder at home that I'll be connecting it to so having PVR functionality on the box isn't as important as functional timers.

Just wanted to post that after 1 week of playing around, the box has been working great with 1.25 firmware. I only had a 2GB stick with me, so it can only record about 45 minutes to it.

I am looking forward to getting a bigger drive and trying buffer, I just need it to always record whatever I am watching and delete it when I change the channel. Sometimes I might catch something when I tune into a channel and it would be too late by the time I hit record. :) I hope it records everything I am watching and actually keep it when I hit record.

The other day something funny happened, I did not have a USB stick on the visionsat, I hit something on my other universal remote and it started playing back in slow motion. I dont know if that was a glitch or actually a feature. I tried to replicate it later, but could not.

Does the closed caption work on it ?

I have a TVG unit. (censors out bad language)

Did you test out the closed caption on the Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus .

Was there just a plain Visionsat IV200 PVR before this one ?

-

Last edited: