Visionsat IV200 Replacement

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bdunn

Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I got this unit a couple years ago to replace a FinePass (VCR recordings!) given me when I had TAN-TV installed. I need to replace this unit now and want something current and supported. Trying to do some research this time around is proving very painful (or I am just getting older).

Requirements:
Viaccess Smartcard (like @HOME) required to get TAN-TV (The Asian Network)
PVR function through USB to an external hard drive

Likes about this receiver:
S-video out
Easy to use menus and create program recordings
I can do weekday (M-F) and a weekend (Sa-Su) recordings for the same or diff channels, at the same time (7:50p)

Dislikes about this receiver:
Out of business
No more FW support (last version was 1.45)
Always had buggy recording issues (like skips all the ones on Sat. but records all on Sun.)
USB is only in the front so the smartcard door is always open
Cannot use auto time/clock so if powered done you have to remember to set the clock!

Other notes:
EPG does not work for TAN-TV so is not necessary
Scanning is rarely done as TAN-TV rarely adds a channel
TAN-TV is on 101.0W AMC4 so I never leave it

Thx, Butch

Actually, the Visionsat IV-200 is probably still one of the better DVR choices to support VIACCESS.

The GEOSATpro DVR1100c, DSR100c and DSR200c currently supports IRDETO. We plan on reactivating VIACCESS with a future firmware release.

Not sure how available they are in US but Topfield are by far the best receivers I have seen for EPG interpretation, dual tuners and PVR and great manufacturer support. They have conditional access slots so a Viacess cam works. I run Viacess, and Cryptoworks cams with subscription cards in the same receiver

The Openbox X-800 clone units rate right up there with the Pacer, Pinto and Vega...... would suggest that we don't recommend anything that we haven't personally owned or tested. The Visionsat is a Formula One racer compared to the Openbox X-800.

Agreed about the Topfield being a solid and well built unit. Unfortunately, support for the NA market has been rather underwhelming to say the least! Basically, they have imported European models with the exception of the 3000 / 4000 NA versions, which were distributed by several broadcasters. Heard from several resellers that Topfield's are no longer being distributed by Cashless Canada.

Dislikes about this receiver:
Out of business
No more FW support (last version was 1.45)
Always had buggy recording issues (like skips all the ones on Sat. but records all on Sun.)
USB is only in the front so the smartcard door is always open
Cannot use auto time/clock so if powered done you have to remember to set the clock!

I love my Visionsat IV-200, but recently while recording HD from NASA, I ran into another bug I'd never before encountered: If a recording goes over 4GB and a new segment is started, only the first segment will be renamed if you are renaming files using the Visionsat's file management system. This can create some real problems, but the workaround is to move everything to your PC. From there, you can deal with the segments using PC-based software.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)