Visiting Johnston, Iowa

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
I'm here in Johnston, Iowa on a business trip. I've spotted at least a dozen or more FTA ku band dishes since I've been here. Remarkably different than Casper, WY where folks have their own C-band BUDs and satellite tracking stations. It's nice to see so many 31" sized dishes other than the standard pizza dish. I wonder how many of them are actually working FTA setups.

WELCOME to Iowa! What brings you to Johnston? I spent time at the state Law Enf academy a few years ago. Good pizza place - Pagliai's Pizza on Merle Hay Rd is really good! :)

I can't remember the road...maybe Douglas, but there was an electronics shop that had a Ku band dish mounted on their wall. I never got a chance to stop in though :(

WELCOME to Iowa! What brings you to Johnston? I spent time at the state Law Enf academy a few years ago. Good pizza place - Pagliai's Pizza on Merle Hay Rd is really good! :)

Hey folks,

Here at Camp Dodge, a mile from Merle Hay Rd, finishing up National Guard training for 92A (Supply MOS). Some of us have already explored the fine food down that road. We had one guy take on the 52 ounce steak challenge and lived to tell about it.

Another good place is Cactus Bob's BBQ. Two guys were thinking of taking on the "Showdown Challenge", but thought better of it after watching some YouTube video of what the hot sauce will do to you. :eek:

Been here a month now as the school training is pretty computer intensive and is divided into parts, Phase I and Phase II. I can't wait to get home as it's starting to get old. We finished up our last test today and graduate this coming Tuesday.

As for ku band satellite equipment we got to setup and play with a VSAT which is the Army version of the internet using a portable mobile ku band system that automagically scans the sky and aligns itself for the right bird. Sweet! Getting paid to play with ku band equipment. Can't beat that!

Talking to the locals about their satellite service, they all have the same complaints, too many trees in the way and rain fade. It has rained here a lot in the past couple of days.

Ah Camp Dodge - that is home to the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy. Des Moines area is kinda fun to explore...although I would not want to be at Camp Dodge as long as you :) Enjoy your stay! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)