Vista security update KB971657

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Has anyone else had trouble with this security update? It came out in August and fails on my wife's laptop over and over. Very annoying.

How Vista is 64 bit and the error code reported is 80004005. I looked online for these but while many report having the same problem, there was no solutions listed in the threads I reviewed.

I now put her laptop on manual updates as automatic fails due to the installing failures of this update. All other security and other updates install trouble free.

What else, can I or should I do?

I just checked my updates and it downloaded fine for me on 8/12

I do have the same issue on a different one
Update for Windows Vista (KB972145)
Error details: Code 800B0100

Fails every time

I just went in my windows update and just hid the update. No issues since then

Did you read this? It helped me once in the early days of Vista...
Troubleshooting Regsvr32 Error 0x80004005
Occasionally, I run into Error 0x80004005 when registering these files. This error sounds highly complicated, but what it all boils down to is a rights issue. This error basically means that you don’t have the permissions to register the file you are trying to register.

This usually brings about the questions, “Wait! I’m logged in as an administrator?!”

Under previous versions of Windows, being logged in as an administrator is enough, but in Windows Vista there is a little thing called User Account Control (UAC) that prevents programs from running administrative tasks without first specifying that they are running as the administrator. This applies for the command prompt the same as it does for any other program. This being the case, right-click on the command prompt icon, and select “Run as Administrator”, and then try to register your DLL. This is a mistake that is usually frustrating enough that, once you figure it out, you won’t make too often.

Diogen.

diogen- Thanks for that tip.

I will test it out as soon as I complete several other updates that I had on hold and so far each are executing fine. I hid the suspect subject one for now.

What I don't understand with your source is why would there be a rights issue when selecting update automatic. Anyway, I did shut off UAC also for my wife's computer. Now I'm not sure if I still need to go to the command prompt and set that for admin as well but I'll get back to you later and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

As the quote says, logged in as admin doesn't mean every program by default runs with admin privileges.
It only means you have the right to run it as admin. Specifying how to run it is still necessary.

The regsvr32 has its own tricks on top of that. And 64-bitness doubles the troubles one more time.
To make the long story short, create a .bat file with the command line (to register the filter/codec/etc.), right click it and Run as Administrator.

Or download the offending update (KB-file) separately and run as administrator.

Diogen.

I tried all the suggestions here and the only one that is stopping the annoying subject update is what Iceberg did. I found the place to put the update on hide and it has stopped all the rebooting and aborted attempts to install this particular update.

I also looked on my other Vista 64 that has auto updates turned on and that particular one is not in the history so I thought that strange.

In the middle of all the trouble I also noticed my wife's antivirus was causing a fail to update properly. This is the freebee that came with the laptop called Trend Micro and I also got a warning that my subscription was about to expire. So, I did the logical thing and downloaded the free AVG after uninstalling the Trend Micro antivirus. I use AVG on all my other computers and have had excellent performance from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)