Vista Service Pack 1 available

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thiggin2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 28, 2004
TampaBay Florida
I was doing my weeky Windows update check and noticed Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is now available for download.
I dont know how it is because I'm still downloading it. Very slow downloading.

Here is a link to a direct download of the service pack

Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330) (may be larger than what yoi would have downloaded via windows update)

If you have a brand name computer, you may want to do some research before applying it. Check if others with same model machine have reported any issues.

I put it on a new Dell Latitude XT and wished I hadn't. The SP included a patch from last month that caused a problem with a particular software component.

Must be in phases as I dont have it, I searched for updates and it says none avaiable for my puter. I will try again in a few min as it did install a couple of small ones. :)
All 3 of my computers have the update available and I talked to my mom a little while ago and she updated hers last night. We are using Home Premium on all of our computers if that makes a difference.

It insists on having the RC of the SP1 removed first.
I don't know why it claims to need an hour or more to install.
Two of the PCs I installed it on - one desktop, one laptop - were done in about 20 minutes each (with all the reboots).

Was installing from a CD with the single 450+ MB file on it.
No noticable changes in behaviour so far.

Diogen.

It's available for everyone who is able to install it. There are things that can prevent you from getting the update... incompatible drivers, already have a RC/Beta of SP1 installed, etc.

It's not rolling out in phases, it isnt being offered for a reason if you arent able to download it.

I've had the SP1 from MSDN installed on an HP laptop for quite a while (3 weeks?). No problems. On the latop drive it did take about an hour with all the reboots, etc. (Home Premium, 64-Bit).

I'm downloading now. I'll install it later tonight on my laptop.

I'll shove it on a flash stick and move it 'tween computers to install over the next week or two.

Cheers,

I haven't really noticed any changes yet. Vista has always ran smooth on all of my computers(HP-Desktop,Acer-Desktop,Gateway-Laptop). The only difference I have noticed so far is just the added "service pack 1" line on the system info page.

I downloaded and installed it last week and really haven't noticed much of a difference... but I also really haven't had any problems with Vista.

I have vista ultimate on my computers, it would not install because I have all the language packs installed. Why you might ask do I have them installed? Well it is just one of those things of just checkin everything and hitting install and letting the computer run overnight. This was when vista first came out. Now I just hide them all so people do not know they are missing stuff.

It turns out it is a real pain to get rid of the language packs. I did it on one computer, it is a reboot cycle for each language pack. You cannot remove them all at once, it will only remove the first one then decide it cannot remove more since the files all need to be updated again so it wants you to reboot between each one.

Yeah I read last week it was due out sometime this week or next. I think SP3 for XP is due out sometime soon as well it will be the last SP for XP.

After I installed SP1, the computer ran ALOT smoother and faster than it did before. BUT... All of a sudden I couldn't access mediashare on my D* HR21. I had to open up the port in Windows Firewall for TVersity to communicate to the receiver. I had Windows Firewall disabled before, but now if I try to disable the Firewall, I can't communicate with the HR21 at all.
Oh well... at least I found a workaround.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)