"Vital program content" downloading....

ChairBound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Spotsylvania, VA
Yay? It is 3ish AM EST, and with my Hopper reset, my DVR swung into a very prolonged program information download. I managed to cook an omelet, bacon, english muffins and make my coffee and the info is STILL downloading. Only 3/4 done. I hope this means channels are coming back and not that more are going away!

Well poo! False alarm. It seems some new On Demand features have been added to the software. Sigh...I wonder what those additions broke instead, which always happens.

An improvement in one area, you can now enable/disable closed captioning by simply hitting your green button instead of having to go all the way through the menus to turn it on or off.
I suggested that they use the green button for close captions a while back. I am glad to see my ideas getting use by DISH. Too bad I don't get paid for it.

I hope this means channels are coming back and not that more are going away!
As dwarren posted, this was a software update and nothing to do with channels. Channels are added or removed literally on-the-fly and guide updates happen in the background, at any time of the day when a free tuner is available (not at the middle-of-the-night reset).

Didn't stop people from rebooting their receivers, running check switches, unplugging them from the wall, and so on though, I'll bet !

I suggested that they use the green button for close captions a while back. I am glad to see my ideas getting use by DISH. Too bad I don't get paid for it.

I just tried on my 211K I hit the only green button , under search ( 20.0 IR ) remote , did not work

But it should (IMNSHO) work on all receivers. This was trivial when we were on NTSC analog. You mute the TV, and the captions could be set to come on automatically, and go off again when un-muted. Why is this so difficult on digital?

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Analog or digital have zero bearing on a function like that. That's nothing more than a setting in the TV's software or a receiver's software. If you have a fancy, programmable remote, you could create a macro that does just that.

Do any digital TVs have a CC on mute function? I haven't seen it.
I believe some do, only if using the antenna input. CC info is not set over HDMI Or componant, it's the way the system was designed. That is why it is a requirement for the settop box to decode and display the CC. The STB has no way to lnow when you are muting your TV\Audio so CC on mute is not an option when watching HD with a STB.

Reactions: TheKrell
I would think that HDMI CEC would be able to signal to the STB when a TV is muted so that the STB can control when CC is on or not.

Reactions: TheKrell
I believe some do, only if using the antenna input. CC info is not set over HDMI Or componant, it's the way the system was designed.
A quick Google search showed me the same thing. Some TVs can do it but it sounds like it's a feature the TV makers are dropping with the prevalence of set-tops.

I would think that HDMI CEC would be able to signal to the STB when a TV is muted so that the STB can control when CC is on or not.

I am shocked that HDMI doesn't have a CC data stream on it all the time, to preserve this functionality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)