Vizio's 4K Ultra HD TVs start at $1,000 for a 50-inch set (video)

I like the price but absent 3D is like buying a TV with only mono sound.

Not if you can't stand wearing glasses.
I saw where Vizio made a deal with one of the glassless 3D manufactures. I'm guessing this will be available on Vizo 4K tvs next year.

Yepp, not if you dont care about 3D! Who listens to the tv speakers anyways? :yikes

Yepp, they seem to be taking the year off and preparing for glassless. Good move for them. I dont much care, so Im watching this 65" baby closely.

"Focused on bringing an Ultra HD solution to market when it made the most sense for consumers, VIZIO aimed to drastically enhance usability, tapping into technologies that allow for greater content consumption. Equipped with HEVC H.265 codec, the VIZIO P-Series Ultra HD Full-Array Smart TVs enable consumers to stream Ultra HD content through Ultra HD enabled apps such as Netflix, with HDCP 2.2 support also built-in, allowing playback of protected Ultra HD content. To ensure picture quality always remains king, VIZIO also enabled the VM50, a dedicated motion and picture-processing engine that beautifully renders every image, including Ultra HD content, with incredible detail and the latest HDMI standard for display of Ultra HD content up to 60 fps."

Neat.

Its going to be interesting to see where the R series pricing ends up. P Series UHD 65" with a lot less zones is $2199. I'd think the R 65" series with 384 zones could land under $3500.

Until I can get higher speed internet where I live it still won't work for me. I've got DSL at 6mps so streaming will be out of the question.
Unless these things have an unbelievable scaler I'll be waiting for a while.

Scott Wilkinson

For me, Vizio's new Reference series was the most important product introduction at CES this year. Not only are these sets UHDTVs with 384 zones of full-array local dimming, they are the first I know of to implement Dolby Vision technology, which includes high brightness, high dynamic range (HDR), and a wider color gamut. And as if that weren't enough, the panel and all circuitry in the video signal path is 10-bit; in fact, Vizio had to convince it's IC suppliers to build 10-bit chips!

The demo was incredible—two 65" UHDTVs side by side in a blacked out room, one a Samsung UHDTV and the other a Reference model. Universal delivered two sets of clips from Oblivion—one graded for Rec. 709 color and conventional dynamic range, and the other graded for a wider color gamut and HDR. (The Reference series currently achieves about 80 percent of Rec. 2020 and 800 nits of peak white, while the Samsung was pushed to about 350 nits.) Also shown were two similarly graded clips from Star Trek: Into Darkness.

There was much more detail in the Reference series image—for example, on the Samsung, you could see the pores in Tom Cruise's face, but on the Vizio, you could see how deep those pores were. Also clearly evident were much brighter specular highlights and richer colors as seen in the flames in the volcano from Star Trek and flames from the droid in Oblivion. Overall, the Vizio simply looked far more realistic. I was blown away.

I've long maintained that UHD should be about much more than pixel resolution, and the Vizio Reference series is the first consumer display that addresses my concerns. I was heartened to learn that Dolby is working with movie studios, broadcasters, streaming outlets, and equipment manufacturers to make sure that UHD content includes wide color gamut and HDR with more than 8-bit resolution.

Thanks to the Vizio Reference series and Dolby Vision, I'm finally excited about UHD!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511154/vizio-reference-series-uhdtvs-at-ces-2014

I think infinity, because I do not think it sees consumer sales. I may be wrong.

Gonna be interesting too see all the UHD stuff from Vizio, Toshiba, Sharp and Sony (out of my price range probably). Id love to go 70", but Sharp stuck to edge lit, and then the others are 65".

He did say 120" price has not yet been set and they do planning to manufacture for consumer sales.
I'm thinking 50-70k range.
Should be a lot cheaper than Samsung 110".

He did say 120" price has not yet been set and they do planning to manufacture for consumer sales.
I'm thinking 50-70k range.
Should be a lot cheaper than Samsung 110".

Given Vizio's history, I bet it will cost a lot less. I could see them trying for the 10-20k range, blowing their competition out of the water.

Wow. That is crazy good!!
I understand they didn't have the P and the R together at CES. Would really like to get a view of these side by side.

It's 64 zones. One conspiracy theory is the P and R model all have the same panels, just that one has 64 zone control and the other has 384 zones.

The P series could potentially put a lot of folks into UHD in a large screen. Even though its only 64 zones, I have to wonder if those wont perform better than some of this edge lit stuff of there...

The 70" P series also has the potential to give Sharp a big ol kick in the you know what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts