Vizio's 4K Ultra HD TVs start at $1,000 for a 50-inch set (video)

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20131218PD217.html

Vizio has released orders equivalent to 40% of its 2014 TV shipments to TPV Technology and 30% to Wistron, according to supply chain makers.

Vizio is expected to ship 7-7.5 million LCD TVs in 2014, the sources noted.

While TPV undertook ODM production of 32- and 42-inch LCD TVs for Vizio in 2013, 2014 ODM orders from Vizio will also include 50-inch above models and Ultra HD models, the sources said.

Foxconn Electronics has retained ODM orders for 60-inch and above LCD TVs to be shipped in 2014, the same as in 2013, the sources indicated.

Taiwan-based ODM Amtran Technology's production will account for 10-20% of Vizio's TV shipments in 2014, significantly dropping from over 40% in 2013, the sources noted.

Vizio will launch Ultra HD LCD TVs in varying sizes, with 60-, 70- and 80-inch Ultra HD TV panels to be supplied by the 10G joint-venture factory of Foxconn and Sharp, 55- and 65-inch models will come from AU Optronics, and other sizes from LG Display, the sources noted.

What this really means is that the Chinese panel makers have caught up to the Japanese/Korean makers and can offer Visio (and others) 4k panels cheap, even up to 120 inches. 100 inch plus panels cost so much not because they are that expensive to manufacture, but because the Japanese and later the Korean fabs were the only ones able to produce them. They could charge what ever they wanted because they knew no one else could make one. If the Chinese LCD fabs are able to produce them in quantity the bottom will fall out of the market in pricing. Look at a few years ago when the Chinese could not make 70" sets, they were $15-25k, now they are under $3k.

True Mike.
Reliability will still be the key. That's why Sony, Samsung and Panasonic can still charge higher prices.

Oh I agree.
I've always bought Pioneer, Samsung for the reason I stated.
Vizio track record on reliability is not near the top.
With the Reference series it could be a game changer for them.
I know I will be looking hard at the 65" provided I can get faster internet.

The smart thing is Vizio is starting to design and spec the panels, at least in the "R". Sounds a lot like Apple and Foxconn, and if they spec them properly it should work out well.

My boss has a 55" XVT 2009 model, and while its not the best for video processing, it is still running fine. I calibrated it with my meter and the controls are horrible, but I think they have come a long way from there.

What tells me they are taking it serious is the 10bit decision, HVEC on board and the Dolby Vision agreement.

What this really means is that the Chinese panel makers have caught up to the Japanese/Korean makers and can offer Visio (and others) 4k panels cheap, even up to 120 inches. 100 inch plus panels cost so much not because they are that expensive to manufacture, but because the Japanese and later the Korean fabs were the only ones able to produce them. They could charge what ever they wanted because they knew no one else could make one. If the Chinese LCD fabs are able to produce them in quantity the bottom will fall out of the market in pricing. Look at a few years ago when the Chinese could not make 70" sets, they were $15-25k, now they are under $3k.

We knew it was coming. Koreans fought from low quality to high quality to catch Japan, now the Chinese will move in.

Dolby Vision at CES, which is used in the "R" series.

http://www.twice.com/articletype/ces2014/dolby-launches-dolby-vision-program-ces/109659

Dolby Vision provides a picture-optimization technology and standard that expands the dynamic range of content and display characteristics of LED-based LCD TVs to produce higher contrast ratios, deeper black levels and a wider color gamut – all of which contribute to more lifelike and vibrant images.

From the TV hardware side, Dolby Vision offers direction for the use of local dimming technology behind full-array LED-backlit LCD TV panels. This local dimming instructs sectors of tiny LED lights across the LCD back plane to increase or decrease their brightness in accordance with the properties of the image.

By controlling the level of dimming in areas of the picture, deeper, truer blacks emerge while enabling enough control to ensure that details within shaded areas not blotted out of the field of vision. The effect also serves to boost the apparent brightness of the panel, when called for in the image.

During CES, Dolby announced that Sharp, TCL and Vizio had signed on as manufacturer partners that will be participating in the Dolby Vision program on select TV models.

From the content side, Dolby Vision expands the information in the signal source to help properly equipped TVs, including non-Dolby Vision-enhanced sets, better respond to yield better levels of dynamic range.

Thus far, Netflix, Vudu, Amazon and Microsoft (Xbox) have signed on with the Dolby Vision program.

VIZIO P-Series Ultra HD Full-Array LED backlit LCD Smart TVs
(P502ui-B1) $999.99 (MSRP)
(P552ui-B2) $1,399.99 (MSRP)
(P602ui-B3) $1,799.99 (MSRP)
(P652ui-B2) $2,199.99 (MSRP)
(P702ui-B3) $2,599.99 (MSRP)

Okay, just to continue my 4K isn't ready for video rant, the 30-bit color specified for the Dolby HDR picture at 3,840h x 2,160v at 60 fps works out to 13.9 Gigabits per second uncompressed. Considering the HDMI 1.3 standard calls for 340 MHz signaling rate (680 MHz for dual-link) I don't think we're going to see current HDMI cables or interfaces being up to the task.

Okay, just to continue my 4K isn't ready for video rant, the 30-bit color specified for the Dolby HDR picture at 3,840h x 2,160v at 60 fps works out to 13.9 Gigabits per second uncompressed. Considering the HDMI 1.3 standard calls for 340 MHz signaling rate (680 MHz for dual-link) I don't think we're going to see current HDMI cables or interfaces being up to the task.
They dont need to be. We have seen 4K sent via ethernet to the TV and the TV decoded it. :)

HDMI 2.0 spec is already out and addresses these issue.

And some of these new models have HDMI 2.0, including the Vizio reference line.

I saw some of your posts at AVS and some guys going at you. lol
There are some real nimrods over there.
I almost fell out of my chair when the guy was talking about Direct and how much better the pic used to be. He said MPEG2 tech was so much better than MPEG4. He even recorded both techs of the same channel. He said the MPEG2 was clearly better. LOL
I'm just glad he's not in charge of technology over at Directv!!

Geez, I just had to stop. Clueless...

Some times its just better to walk away. Idiot brought up HD Lite and has no clue that referred to the old directv signal, like pre mid 2006...

I'm glad the 2.0 chips are out and sets will have them available at launch. I headed over to the HDMI organization website and saw that 50 and 60 fps were addressed for 4K. Nothing about 8K, though, so that should be years away.

My displeasure with the first wave of 4K displays was driven more from the computer display side where the highly praised Sharp panel had to resort to splitting the screen image in half so it could be displayed at 30 fps, about half what a monitor needs to be able to handle. Not that I'm in a rush to buy one, but it could be a rude awakening for someone who wants to edit 4K.

Good question.
I've seen 65" uhdtv but they were on 4k native loop. With native 4k I could get about a foot from screen without seeing pixels . Would be interesting how close with 1080p or broadcast hd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)