VOD Activation Information for HR21 CE Users

WOOOOOOOOO. Finally have OnDemand working. The hype wasn't worth it. I realize it is still in Beta, but lack of channels and shows that are worth watching really sux. I have HBO and there is no HBO ondemand.

Play with it a little, the design and operation are what they are finalizing. The content will come with more people using it.

Myself - I'm eager to get the big 4 networks on there, never miss a show, eliminate recording conflicts, etc. :hungry:

Shows and any charges for main 4?

I just changed from Cable back to DirecTV. So nice to be back! the HD is awesome. Anyway, for cable onDemand, there were a few shows listed for CBS, ABC, and NBC. My question is will there be more programs available for on demand than Cable and will there be a charge for shows for NBC as their is for cable? Shows like the Office and L&O: SVU cost 99¢ per show. Will Fox also have onDemand programming?

Just wondering if there is any general knowledge of this. If this is posted in the wrong area also, I appoligize!

thanks! :)

Answered back in post 41:

Hold info button for 5 seconds, it is in the info screen..
Thank you very much. I am getting very big into the Dtv and loving all the potential. I really want to get this on demand working so I hope there is a update tonight.

OK Guys - there is an update tonight at 11pm. NO notes yet, but there will be an update (barring a last minute cancellation, which is rare).

I know alot of you are new to the area and this is your first CE, so one reminder:

Dont call CSR's (800#) with problems, post them here so we can help and the software developers can see them.

I just changed from Cable back to DirecTV. So nice to be back! the HD is awesome. Anyway, for cable onDemand, there were a few shows listed for CBS, ABC, and NBC. My question is will there be more programs available for on demand than Cable and will there be a charge for shows for NBC as their is for cable? Shows like the Office and L&O: SVU cost 99¢ per show. Will Fox also have onDemand programming?

Just wondering if there is any general knowledge of this. If this is posted in the wrong area also, I appoligize!

thanks! :)

D* does have plans to add the big 4. No word on price, they want most of the content to be free. The providers may not allow it, who knows at this point. If cable is charging 99c, that is not a good sign for D* getting us the big 4's VOD for free :(

They want all the kinks worked out and to see people using it before they spend for contracts with the big boys. They DO want to get to that point, but nobody would give a timeline. This is the one question I asked everyone I could, several times, just no timeline as of yet.

If they can get HBO, the Big 4 networks, and a few others, then their VOD system would be GOLD!

Activate onDemand HR21-200

I just downloaded the new CE at 11 and now I'm trying to activate onDemand. When I call the 800# this is what I get (summaries).
*Do you have serivce?
*Verify your number.
*Reason for Call? I say Activate onDemand. It responds with Activate on Demand and I say yes. Get the automated sounds then I get "one moment while I transfer you". I hang up becuase I'm not trying to call customer service.

Am I calling too soon to activate, is onDemand not activated on the HR21-200 in the CE release (2/8), or do I need to let it transfer me then it will activate?

Thanks!

This from post 9:
Hi All! Just phoned Directv and activated DOD on my HR21-700. At the prompt when it asks you what your calling about, just say "Directv on Demand". After that there was about a minute of Beepidity boops. Then the auto attendant came on and said that my Directv on Demand has been activated! I am at work now in Eastern PA. I will check at home on my lunch hour and let you all know if its working.

Try doing it like that from your home phone, the one registered on your account, as it recognizes it, and say exactly directv on demand.

I just tried the 1800 trick, it does work, it asks you a few questions, then it tells you if you want to activate Directv on Demand, and it will activate it for you. I have just downloaded the CE update, so i will see if it actually worked. I have the HR-21 200.

Suggestion for SD/HD viewing

I like the option of hiding the SD channels in the guide when there are HD duplicates. I noticed though that you cannot change to the SD channel when you have the SD hidden in the guide. For me, I'd like to some shows like the Simpsons in SD. The new feature of the Original Format is great for me since my tv has wide full for a slight stretch of the picture when it is in SD 4:3. Anyway, is there a way to put a suggesting in to have the Red button work as a toggle from HD to SD and vice versa when you have the display set to hide SD programming?

Side note, I still cannot get the onDemand to activate so I'll sleep on it. If anyone has a HR21-200 model that has the onDemand working, please let me know what you did. I've tried every suggestion in this thread. I want to get it up and running for testing.

Side note 2. The DVR scheduler is not working for me either. Any suggestions?

Thanks again! I love this site!

Hello all.
(posted this in the wrong thread first) 0x1fe added a few nice menu enhancements compared to my previous National version (0x18a). Online scheduling is very cool & works perfectly.
Seemed to download & install fine, except DOD is seemingly less functional than before... now when I select it in the menu, nothing happens... no beep, no more window saying "coming soon," nothing. I do have network/internet connection and have successfully activated DOD through 1 800 #. Do I just need to wait?

Thanks in advance

Hello all.
(posted this in the wrong thread first) 0x1fe added a few nice menu enhancements compared to my previous National version (0x18a). Online scheduling is very cool & works perfectly.
Seemed to download & install fine, except DOD is seemingly less functional than before... now when I select it in the menu, nothing happens... no beep, no more window saying "coming soon," nothing. I do have network/internet connection and have successfully activated DOD through 1 800 #. Do I just need to wait?

Thanks in advance

Just be patient, it will start eventually. Some take minutes to hours to overnight.

They just started rolling remote scheduling to the hr21. not sure if they turned all on, or just some. you may need to wait a bit longer for that.
remote scheduling is not tied to the CE, it works on all versions, so you're just waiting for D to turn it on :)

Account Password

I found this on another chat room and was wonding if anyone knows if this is valid and how to remove the account password. I'm thinking this may be my issue but I don't believe I have a password on my acount.
...if you have a password on the account the automated system will transfer you to a csr who can't activate On Demand... you must take the password off to activate On Demand through automated system

Anyone have a suggestion? I did talk to a CSR to see if there was a password on my account and they said there is not. Maybe they were wrong or maybe my request was incorrect.

Thanks!!

hr21 700 up and working fine 2-9-08

downloaded today 2-9-08 at 145 am at the welcome screen type in 02468 download 01F8 works great took some time for gide to load up thanks for all your help :) hope this helps some one :)

Thanks for all the help. I downloaded 01FE last night, and VOD works great! DVR Scheduler also works now. Hopefully DirecTV will add more content and channels in the near future, and keep this service free.

Good to hear it's working for you guys :)

Please - play with it, and report back any issues. Then D* can get it done and out to all subscribers.

Working Great

I got the On Demand working with the new CE 2/8/08, Guide took until this morning.. but otherwise the menu seems really wide for some reason not sure if it's a larger font or what...
other then that working well, just can't figure out how to do media share? or what do i have to setup/change on the HR-21 700 or my PC to share pix/videos etc?

Only comments I have are:
1.) I wish shows did not 'expire' seems like i should be able to keep them as long as i want or am i misunderstanding that?
2.) I Hope 2 all Hope this stays FREE forever, all be it a worthwhile service, It uses customers internet resources, not sure who's servers the shows download from each channel have their own or DirecTV have one for all?
3.) I hope this is encrypted in some way over the net as I would hate for AT&T/Comcast to shut customers down for 'pirating' movies as they MIGHT claim 2 see it. Not to sound paranoid just knowing their recent past...
AT&T willing to spy for NSA, MPAA, and RIAA
Comcast Sued Over BitTorrent Blocking - UPDATED | Threat Level from Wired.com
as for the Bit Torrent i have witnessed this first hand when downloading legit software (Linux) where I could not get it to work when there were plenty of peers etc...

Anyway Good luck to DirecTV I hope they expand the line up it is a fabulous feature on Demand. Lovin it! P.S. Also adding FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC etc even maybe PBS would be neat for free :)

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Everything worked great

I just got the HR21 two weeks ago and was quite disappointed not having On Demand. I found this site and boy am I happy. Loaded CE last night. I followed the directions and everything went GREAT. After the download of CE I called Directv and activated On Demand. Went to bed and this morning everything was there. I downloaded Waterworld and was able to start watching it immediately while it downloaded. Everything seems to work better then before downloading CE. Thanks for all the help on this site. Marty :)

Welcome to the site guys!

I'm glad you got the Ce and VOD working :)

Please give it a workout and provide feedback on the expereinces with the system.

Remember DirecTV is giving us the software to test it out, so they can release it to everyone. All they ask for is our feedback.