VOD vs Streaming VOD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tobsandmags

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I was looking at the uplink report and noted “SVOD” being tested on some entries which I’m assuming is streaming VOD. What’s the difference between that and just plain VOD?

Is streaming VOD via the Hopper typically equivalent to satellite channel HD quality with 60 FPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at the uplink report and noted “SVOD” being tested on some entries which I’m assuming is streaming VOD. What’s the difference between that and just plain VOD?

Is streaming VOD via the Hopper typically equivalent to satellite channel HD quality with 60 FPS?
Since it is still being tested, nobody here knows yet. I think the idea is to make some of the less-popular niche channels streaming-only, but still have them show up in the guide like regular channels. This would save the satellite bandwidth that would otherwise be needed to carry those channels.

Reactions: TheKrell
I was wondering the same thing. Would these show up in the guide along side the satellite channels like Netflix does or only in the On Demand area where other streaming network apps are located?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was wondering the same thing. Would these show up in the guide along side the satellite channels like Netflix does or only in the On Demand area where other streaming network apps are located?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Like crodrules said, it's in testing. How would we know until it is released...

Reactions: pattykay
I would think they would be in the guide. Of course, they are not going to show up there until they are actually released.

I like to think it would be adding more icons/channels on EPG for the other streaming services (like Netflix) such as Curiosity Stream, etc. instead of going to the Apps section. I think all those App streaming services should have their own channel neighborhood. It's amazing how many people just stay with the guide and just can NOT make the jump or be bothered with going to the Apps section. A lot of people just want TV to be ultra simple, but with Apps, etc. I know a lot of people who FORGET or get lost in finding that stuff. I know some folks who FORGET they can download/stream an episode they have missed because they just don't see it on the guide and going into the nether world of the Apps or VOD sections is out of sight and out of mind for them.

FWIW, while it has improved somewhat and is certainly faster on the H3, Dish VOD menus/search is still very cumbersome. I fell they have the DVR set for some time with the H3 (16 Glorious tuners), but now they just need to focus on the App experience being truly robust and make the whole VOD portion far easier to use than it is today. It would be nice and more used by the common subscriber if all of that were integrated better on the UI.

Agree with your points. Until just recently, I didn’t even know Dish had apps for any services beyond the few shown in the EPG.

I have some experience with SlingTV over the past 2 years and know that FPS is important for picture quality (especially sports) and that support for 60fps varies quite a bit by service. Does anyone know what the apps on our Dish receivers support?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)