VoIP Provider Recommendations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I love it. Have to kick the box in the head every so often, but it works and very well. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I think I'm about to take the plunge on Ooma. So to the OP, how do you like the service now that you've had it for a while? And I have a question for those ooma users that just used their own phone handsets. I have 4 cordless phones throughout the house. But only the base phone (with answering machine) actually plugs into a wall jack. The other 3 handsets only have an AC adapter and somehow are tied into the base so they don't require a line plugged into a wall jack. So will all 4 of these phones work with ooma?
Boy this is an old thread.
Anyway you do know that you can get Magic Jack Plus which doesn't require a pc anymore. Also you can port your old phone number.
I just don't get why anyone would pay for free phone service.:eek:

Last edited:
I now have reservations about Ooma. I have had two Telos fail in the last few months. Customer service was practically non-existant while trying to troubleshoot the problems. the second time, it too me 10 DAYS to convince them the Telo had gone bad and I needed a replacement.

I had mine a year and a half when the first problem started. Caller ID would no longer work unless they were in my Ooma address book. They screwed around for 4 months trying to figure out the issue. One day, I got an email saying they shipped me a new Telo. I was surprised, but the replacement Telo fixed the caller ID problem. Two weeks later, the replacement Telo went south. It would no longer connect to the service. It took them 10 DAYS (and countless phone calls) to ship me a another replacement.

Well everything sounded good and positive earlier. So I headed out earlier today to my local Best Buy and took the plunge. Now I come home and see that maybe not everything's as peachy as I thought. And I guess I should have done a little more research because this is the first time I've heard of Magic Jack Plus. Has anyone had any experience with the plus unit?

I have a question about the setup on the ooma. I obviously want all 4 cordless phones to work with the ooma. So do I need to follow step 3 in the setup and plug my base cordless phone directly into the ooma? Or should I run a line from the ooma into an empty wall phone jack?

Magic Jack (Have not tried Plus) actually works very well. Minimal features but for the cost it really works.

For a plan with possibly the most features I still have Voicepulse. I have had it since the beginning of VOIP and it is an unbelievable value at $15 a month.

I got Nettalk for my sister and myself. It's the same as MagicJack Plus except they have live CSRs but you can't yet port your number. She loves the voice mail feature where messages are sent to her e-mail. I like how it rings once after a power failure, to let me know the internet is working again.

Okay, I went online and activated my account. I then followed the steps of hooking up the unit. I plan on porting over my current number so I haven't disconnected the line from AT&T yet. I tried calling my temporary number that I was given but the phone does not ring. Is this because I still have the AT&T line hooked up (I have a line run from the unit into an empty phone jack)? If this is the case, then I guess there's no way to test the phones until I get my number ported and disconnect the outside lines?

I have the ooma plugged directly into a wall jack. And I understand I have to disconnect the AT&T line coming in in order for this to work, correct? But I assume I can't disconnect the AT&T line until my number has been ported over, correct? So I guess until my number gets ported I'll just disconnect the line from my ooma to the wall jack. Meaning I really won't be using the ooma until that time comes. Any other suggestions?

I have the ooma plugged directly into a wall jack. And I understand I have to disconnect the AT&T line coming in in order for this to work, correct? But I assume I can't disconnect the AT&T line until my number has been ported over, correct? So I guess until my number gets ported I'll just disconnect the line from my ooma to the wall jack. Meaning I really won't be using the ooma until that time comes. Any other suggestions?

You can disconnect it now if you want. It will still port. You just wont get any calls to your real number until the port is done unless you set up call forwarding.

If you want to leave your current ATT setup as it is until your service is officially ported, you can still plug in a secondary phone directly into the Ooma instead of plugging the Ooma into a wall jack. This way you can setup and test your Ooma now.

I use TWC for internet and they are always calling me trying to offer me bundle deals. Today a rep called and said that they can match or beat any deal we are paying with our current phone provider. He then asked how much I am paying per month for my current home phone service. I told him $0. I laughed after his response of, "Oh! Never mind."

He first thought it was because I did not have home phone service. I told him he was currently talking to me on my home phone and it is the same number I had when I used to have you guys for home phone service. He asked how I was able to get phone service for free so I told him about Ooma, of which he heard.

Dodgerking you've had ooma for a while. So you still like it pretty well? Wonder how it is for faxing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts