VoIP Provider Recommendations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Dodgerking you've had ooma for a while. So you still like it pretty well? Wonder how it is for faxing?
I have no idea if you can fax through it or not. My computers do not have a phone or fax modem and I do not have a fax machine, so I am unable to try it out.

Faxing generally works. i wouldnt rely on it for a business. i fax a few times a month. it sometimes has to redial three or four times before it negotiates and sends properly. you do have to use the *99# prefix.

Problem with Faxing over voip is that even though we have dedicated protocols ( T.38 ) which is trigged by the *99 on OOMA and simliar devices there ends up being problems down the road some where between ATA ( ooma hub ) to the sip sever and then onward to the PSTN Gateway.

Well I got my number officially ported over today to my ooma. Only took 7 days. I disconnected the line coming in from AT&T and everything seems to be working great. I considered doing this over a year ago and continued to put it off. I wish I had made the plunge back then. I did notice when I call home from my cell that the answering machine on my cordless phone base picks up when I call. Which is fine I guess. Is there any advantage to turning off that answering machine and using the one built into the ooma?

Well I got my number officially ported over today to my ooma. Only took 7 days. I disconnected the line coming in from AT&T and everything seems to be working great. I considered doing this over a year ago and continued to put it off. I wish I had made the plunge back then. I did notice when I call home from my cell that the answering machine on my cordless phone base picks up when I call. Which is fine I guess. Is there any advantage to turning off that answering machine and using the one built into the ooma?
Less likely to have a conflict and you can check your Ooma messages online through their website

So far I'm still really pleased with the ooma. I also really like the feature to black list numbers (telemarketers). But does anyone know if there's a way to turn down the volume on the ooma unit? Especially when the answering machine comes on. It's really loud.

Press the volume icon on the top left. Each time you press it cycles through the volume from low to middle to high and back to low

So far I'm still really pleased with the ooma. I also really like the feature to black list numbers (telemarketers). But does anyone know if there's a way to turn down the volume on the ooma unit? Especially when the answering machine comes on. It's really loud.

You can also go to https://my.ooma.com/voicemail and make sure "Call Screening" isn't checked.

GUzX2.jpg

We're looking at Ooma. We do not have a home phone but I'm looking at this for starting a consulting business.

Ooma does not have a number in my local city, but I have an idea of getting home phone service started with the local telco and immediately porting it to Ooma. Would this work?

stonecold said:
It called magic crap for a reason.

MJ is a $20.00 a year service. We used it for about a year exclusivly for long distance. Saved us a bunch of cash. Had it set up on a thin client worked just fine.
Would not have it as a primary phone but it is a good way to save on LD minutes on your cell or to save on the land line charges....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

We have a land line with centurylink. It includes the phone with all the bells & whistles calling feature wise, unlimited long distance & 3.0 internet. My last bill I paid, no promos, was $66.66.

I used voice pulse for years and loved it. The only reason I cancelled is because we didn't use it anymore since everyone had cell phones in the house.

I have yet to find a VoIP that provides a local prefix for my city. Vonage claims to offer one for my city but it's not the same as the prefix for every number in town, though it's close and they assure it's local.

I have yet to find a VoIP that provides a local prefix for my city. Vonage claims to offer one for my city but it's not the same as the prefix for every number in town, though it's close and they assure it's local.
Most of them will port over your existing number

Yeah, and that's what I'm leaning toward. Verizon is our local telco and has a deal in place for $25 a month for local and long distance. There is no install fee and no commitment, so I was thinking of getting that to get a local number and after a month port it over to a VoIP.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Voipo. I paid $165 for 2 years (~$6.80/month) 3 months ago (includes taxes and fees), ported the number from AT&T POTS, and wish I had done it years ago. They sent me a Grandstream ATA which works fine behind my DIR-655 router. Their service also includes tons of features plus 60 mins of international calling a month free. Hell, I was paying AT&T $9.99/month for just caller ID with, (drum roll here), name display.

I now love to get calls from Telemarketers. I tell them that I want to contribute/purchase and to call me back in a few minutes because someone is at the door. Then I go to the Voipo internet site and call route their number to a busy signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts