VOOM 12 day assessment

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
VOOM review after 12 days

I currently have E* and I had been following VOOM on various web sites ever since it was introduced last year. I hesitated to get it then because of all the installation problems I had read about, but finally had it installed on 6/28. Installer locked in on satellite right away and pictures came in clearly. He had to put off installing OTA antenna because he needed bigger antenna to pull in signals. Came back Friday with a 4228, but still no luck. After watching VOOM for 12 days, here's my unbiased assessment.

1. CONTENT: I was somewhat disappointed in the HD content even though I had done a lot of research and knew what was available before I ordered. Within 72 hours I came to the realization that my expectations were far way too enthusiastic, and I actually found myself searching for some captivating HD programming, only to wind up switching back to E*.

2. PQ: I have a 50" Pioneer plasma and was anticipating outstanding HD PQ with VOOM. While I did see some superb HD PQ, my viewing was usually limited to the few channels that I preferred to watch and several of them were not up my expectations. My installer was impressed with my PQ on E*. He said it was the best he had ever seen when he switched between E* and VOOM to compare Bravo and TNT HD programs that were showing at the time. I’m sure this was due to up converting of content as VOOM was a clear winner on Discovery. While VOOM SD PQ was good, it was difficult to distinguish any noticeable difference when comparing it to my E* reception. Also, I’ve recently noticed pixilation after my software was updated to 6.0

3. SOUND: I have a Klipsch THX surround system and the overall sound quality was equal to or better than anything on E*. I still have to adjust sound levels while changing to some channels, even though I read somewhere that the problem was supposed to be fixed with a software update to 6.0 which I now have.

CONCLUSION: I was overly optimistic in my expectations for HD quality programming from VOOM. While I’m sure it will improve with time, I can’t justify spending the money on a second satellite system for the limited return that I’m currently receiving. The fact that I couldn’t get OTA HD is the deal breaker for me because I probably would have kept VOOM for that alone. Since I’m receiving better than average SD PQ, it makes a compelling argument for me to wait until better HD programming is available from either VOOM or E* before I venture into HD again. This by no means that others won’t find VOOM programing and PQ to be outstanding; it just doesn’t currently meet my needs.

IMO, this is a fair and well thought-out assessment. Snoozer accurately describes expectations, the results, and a conclusion. The post is well-written and non-derogatory, and boils down to the fact that at present, Voom does not meet his needs.

It says that the software was updated to version 6.0?? Can that be right? Current version is still 5.68, and waiting for an update, unless the installation was done with a newer STB with new firmware pre-loaded.

The Stone Man said:
It says that the software was updated to version 6.0?? Can that be right? Current version is still 5.68
Snoozer, could you please double-check which version you have? Press Help and then Info. See what it sais next to "Nep". It would be interesting to know if VOOM indeed started updating existing customers to ver. 600. So far, only new boxes shipped with the new version. You would be among the first to receive it via satellite!

My Mistake - I have ver. 5.68 not 6.0. I was looking under System Settings where it showed Secure Firmware Settings VI6 and assumed it referred to. 6.0 :eek:

The Stone Man said:
IMO, this is a fair and well thought-out assessment. Snoozer accurately describes expectations, the results, and a conclusion. The post is well-written and non-derogatory, and boils down to the fact that at present, Voom does not meet his needs.

It says that the software was updated to version 6.0?? Can that be right? Current version is still 5.68, and waiting for an update, unless the installation was done with a newer STB with new firmware pre-loaded.
I agree with snoozer, the HD PQ is ho hum and the exclusive content is crap (this post was not as well thought out).

I agree w/ you both, but vurbano you crack me up, quite the curmudgeon, but quite humorous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts